How does a unifi camera compare to a dahua camera

RoCam

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have four IPC-HDW5831Z-RE cameras and although I like them as soon as they work, the configuration via the webportal feels a bit laggy and buggy. I’m wondering if the unifi cameras (AI Pro?) could be considered an upgrade but I’m a bit hesitant because of the FOV of those bullet style cameras. They seem a bit more narrow. Also unifi doesn’t have any 4k dome or eyeball-like options.

Does any of you have experience with the unifi cameras (for example the AI PRO)and how does such camera compare against my current 4k Dahua cameras?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Well I would never suggest using a proprietary camera system - which the Unify system is. This means the Unify cameras ONLY work inside the Unify ecosystem. You cannot use them with other software. If Unify drops support for the camera system in the future (or even just stop supporting those models), your cameras will be paperweights and unusable with anything else. They are also much more expensive than cameras of equal/better quality that aren't proprietary.

That being said, the Unify Pro camera that you listed has a 1/1.8" sensor size with 8mp resolution. Your existing Dahua cameras have a 1/2.8" sensor size with the same 8mp resolution. This means all things being equal, the Unify system will have better low light performance. The good news is that Dahua (and other brands) makes cameras with equal or better specs than the Unify camera - and they cost a lot less money too. Just a side note, the cheaper models of Unify cameras (non-Pro) have much worse specs and definitely would not be recommended in any situation.

Long story short, don't use the Unify camera system. There are definitely better and cheaper options if you want to replace what you already have.

Last edited:

RoCam

n3wb
Reaction score
One of the reasons I’m looking at unify is because I already have a lot of network gear from them. My dahua is connected to synology surveillance station and although it works decent intergrations like smart detection is all limited and must be configured in the cameras themselves. My hope is that the software integration of the unify stuff works much better.

But I also agree with you that I’m locked in. Just like Apple. Still I’m using that to my satisfaction as well. So it’s not always bad.

What dahua device are you thinking about when you say there are much better cameras for less? For me the detection stuff is important and I’m moving away from Synology. So a good NVR is required and a good iOS app for WAF.

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Well there are plenty of options for both camera and NVRs.

As far as smart detections, I have mine set up in the camera. Using cameras with AI built into them is certainly going to be easier than setting up AI in software. However, if the camera AI doesn't meet your satisfaction, then you can always move to option B which is using software. I use BlueIris as my NVR and many other members here do too. It integrates with many of the popular AI engines around and it can provide quite reliable triggering. I will say that using BlueIris is a great choice regardless. It is shocking that it costs so little given how feature rich the software is and how active the development is on it.

As far as cameras suggestions, I would recommend that you look at the "Cliff Notes" on the site's Wiki. (IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes). That is a great place to start when researching cameras to ensure you "know what to look for" given your specific needs. It also lists about a dozen camera recommendations in the "Recommended Cameras based on DISTANCE to IDENTIFY" section) which are up to date. Please note, the specific camera model details listed below the recommendation list are not up to date. They actually have listed dates of around 2018.

RoCam

n3wb
Reaction score
I also considered using blueiris but it is too much of an expert level solution. I’m happy to have a bit less of a camera when it integrates perfectly with the rest of my system and that system is nicely setup. That’s why I’m looking at unify.

In my early days the learning curve couldn’t be big enough. However my priorities are shifting and therefor looking at solutions that are a bit less expert level.

Therefor I’m trying to determine upfront if the unifi camera is good enough for me compared to what I currently have so I can make the trade off.

my biggest concern is that the camera style (bullet) causes a blindspot beneath the camera compared to the dahua I now have. And I’m not sure if the FOV is wide enough. I need at least that of the Dahua.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Dahua has a large line of cameras both turret and bullets (hundreds). (as well as domes)

You need to compare apples to apples with regards to FOV and low light capabilities as well as features lie AI via the specs, don't focus on the form factor.

I run a number of bullets as well as a few turrets. There is no difference between the two in the same series other than the form itself. In some cases bullets have a bit better IR due to having more LED's

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have four IPC-HDW5831Z-RE cameras and although I like them as soon as they work, the configuration via the webportal feels a bit laggy and buggy. I’m wondering if the unifi cameras (AI Pro?) could be considered an upgrade but I’m a bit hesitant because of the FOV of those bullet style cameras. They seem a bit more narrow. Also unifi doesn’t have any 4k dome or eyeball-like options.

Does any of you have experience with the unifi cameras (for example the AI PRO)and how does such camera compare against my current 4k Dahua cameras?
hi @RoCam

For many of us we have found what we think are better values from Dahua OEM and Hikvision OEM cameras .. with some care, and recommendations from the various members, as well as their reviews you can find some cameras that do a great job on quality of image capture