How long will PTZ Motor / Gears Last?

onthewater

n3wb
Reaction score
On my PTZ cameras, I have the camera running a tour/patrol 24/7/365. The camera has around 8 positions (different zoom levels as well) that it rotates through every 60 seconds, all day long, all year long.

How long should I expect the gears / motor on the PTZ will last? Is it easy to wear them out? Will it last a year? 10 years?

If it matters, brands I would be most interested in would be Dahua and Axis.

Your input / experience / advice is GREATLY appreciated!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's almost always better to have multiple fixed cameras over a PTZ.
The odds are high that when something happens, the PTZ will be looking at the wrong place.
PTZ's do have a finite life.

onthewater

n3wb
Reaction score
It's almost always better to have multiple fixed cameras over a PTZ.
The odds are high that when something happens, the PTZ will be looking at the wrong place.
PTZ's do have a finite life.
Good advice!
When we say finite life, I’m just trying to estimate if that means 1 year, 5 years, 15 years, etc... (on average, or based on experience, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just a wild guess, using it the way you plan....5yrs. Maybe longer if you took it down every other years and checked or replaced belts and greased any points that need it.

Please enter the name by

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Depend on the Cam Angle you can use maybe a HD, 4k,... cam with Multiple Views.
I had an Axis Cam here who is still intend for over watch the from Yard who I can create some Virtual Areas who run independent from the rest where I can Zoom in.

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any piece of machinery made fom plastic or metal may include those same type of parts used in components or moving parts; specifically gears.

There useful life is subjective on the weather via humidity, heat, rain, etc.

I find manufacturers normal use/wear/tear are not mine based on living in South Florida.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Presumably slowing down the speed it moves might increase lifespan some.
It's going to vary quite a bit between different types of PTZ, there's a big difference between a large outdoor speed dome and a tiny indoor ptz.

I actually saw something that did spec some estimates on the mechanical lifespan of a particular ptz recently, but I don't remember where or even what brand it was.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any piece of machinery made fom plastic or metal may include those same type of parts used in components or moving parts; specifically gears.

There useful life is subjective on the weather via humidity, heat, rain, etc.

I find manufacturers normal use/wear/tear are not mine based on living in South Florida.
Sure, such a number isn't representative of operating conditions that weren't part of or are of greater proportion than in the mfg's testing.

Our product development & testing (not cameras) includes some amount of severe duty operation. However, if any given customer's use of the machine includes a higher percentage of severe duty operation, and absolutely a small percentage do, some parts of their machines fail sooner.

Last edited: