How many internal hard drives...?

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Although I have no idea how many cameras I will have in the end, I’m starting with 2 and can see having at least 8. Assume 2mp, 15fps, h264, continuous recording and 30 days of retention if possible and with some room for growth. Perhaps the motion clips are saved for 30 days and the continuous is less. So, how many drives in a dedicated BI PC? At a minimum, I’d expect two. 1) ssd for the os. 2) one media drive. While some NVRs can accommodate 4 drives I just wanted to understand and better plan for having enough disks internally. I’m assuming that you’re using your internal disks in your bare metal and not saving to a NAS.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Although I have no idea how many cameras I will have in the end, I’m starting with 2 and can see having at least 8. Assume 2mp, 15fps, h264, continuous recording and 30 days of retention if possible and with some room for growth. Perhaps the motion clips are saved for 30 days and the continuous is less. So, how many drives in a dedicated BI PC? At a minimum, I’d expect two. 1) ssd for the os. 2) one media drive. While some NVRs can accommodate 4 drives I just wanted to understand and better plan for having enough disks internally. I’m assuming that you’re using your internal disks in your bare metal and not saving to a NAS.
look up the pc specs...they vary by brand and form factor. frame rates, resolution, codec does not matter...ALL that matters is the bitrate. Most NVR's cannot accommodate 4 drives and some pc's can accommodate 4..you simply need to select the correct one for your needs.
blue iris can offload to nas.