How to effectively use 5.2.7.9

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Task Manager shows conflicting CPU usage numbers depending on which tab you look at. The Details tab shows lower CPU usage than than Processes or Performance tabs. Despite much searching, I have never been able to discover why this is, so I don't know which is more accurate.

To retrieve your license key, all you need to do is push the "Email support" button in Blue Iris Settings > About. This puts some text on your clipboard including your license key. Paste into notepad or something in order to read it.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and esp Fenderman.

I noticed last night that Win had an upgrade waiting a restart when I took the 5.2.7.9. I suspect this was the real culprit. I did install Discord on the previous system when there was a Win upgrade staged and then after the Win upgrade if failed Discord and I ended up in %appdata% directory to remove that. I swore then to check for pending Win upgrades before app upgrades but failed there. I'll post back when I've reloaded but I think this is possibly a MS issue with these pending upgrades.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go back to ver 5.2.6.5 of BI, and wait out getting the kinks out of new feature's.
Did you exclude all BI folders from Windows Defender?

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Go back to ver 5.2.6.5 of BI, and wait out getting the kinks out of new feature's.
I tried that version, currently un-installed because each time it starts
It is currently removed. WIndows was a mess everytime it started and I was to the point where I didn't want to reboot one more time to start it. Disable the service and then have to restart again.

I tried that version and couple older. All have same results. Windows repair for Blue Iris also stalls.

I don't exclude Defender from anything. And it worked before without issue. Not
It worked before what ever happened before and is dead until I hear back from support.

Currently waiting for license key so that I can re-install the software.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried that version, currently un-installed because each time it starts

It is currently removed. WIndows was a mess everytime it started and I was to the point where I didn't want to reboot one more time to start it. Disable the service and then have to restart again.

I tried that version and couple older. All have same results. Windows repair for Blue Iris also stalls.

I don't exclude Defender from anything. And it worked before without issue. Not
It worked before what ever happened before and is dead until I hear back from support.

Currently waiting for license key so that I can re-install the software.
The fact that it worked before is irrelevant. You must exclude AV from both blue iris program and storage folders. This is explained in the help file. Before uninstalling BI always backup the key.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The fact that it worked before is irrelevant. You must exclude AV from both blue iris program and storage folders. This is explained in the help file. Before uninstalling BI always backup the key.
I did the export hut it was my understanding from this thread I also need the key. If I don't need the key I can try the reinstall.

I am very certain thought that If I need to turn off Defender for anything to run this software then I need different software. It worked for 4 months just fine.

I will add that just in the last hour or two, I have found some corrupted windows files with SFA. DISM reported no issues and there is also a issue with that manager that it was showing the CPU utilization much high for the BI service than what BI was showing. It seemed to just keep reporting it higher and higher until it reported 100% all the time. The issue is apparently MS subtracts idle time from the 100% to show utilization unless the idle is not being reported. Restarting Windows Management Intstrumentation seems to have resolved that. Clearly I am needing to become a Win system support person. My uderstanding is that MS was trying to get to live updates but it seems that they are killing it (pun).

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You don’t turn Defender off you add rules to exclude the BI folders.

Also what has DISM got to do with your problem(s)?

Also I’ll say it again, why are you running the cams at 25fps?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did the export hut it was my understanding from this thread I also need the key. If I don't need the key I can try the reinstall.

I am very certain thought that If I need to turn off Defender for anything to run this software then I need different software. It worked for 4 months just fine.

I will add that just in the last hour or two, I have found some corrupted windows files with SFA. DISM reported no issues and there is also a issue with that manager that it was showing the CPU utilization much high for the BI service than what BI was showing. It seemed to just keep reporting it higher and higher until it reported 100% all the time. The issue is apparently MS subtracts idle time from the 100% to show utilization unless the idle is not being reported. Restarting Windows Management Intstrumentation seems to have resolved that. Clearly I am needing to become a Win system support person. My uderstanding is that MS was trying to get to live updates but it seems that they are killing it (pun).
You need the key, you can get the key by going to the about tab, email support and it will copy the key to the clipboard with the other data, just paste it in word/notepad etc.
No one said you need to disable defender. You do understand that there are updates to both defender and blue iris that make the "it worked for 4 months" argument invalid. There are many other VMS software out there. Go give them a try. You will love them.
Sounds like you have a memory leak.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the note on the Key - I completely missed that.

I understand that there isn't a need to disable Defender. I will take care of this issue.

Thanks for the help.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cameras are at 25FPS because I want the details that I get at 25 FPS.

DISM / SFA both seemed to be ways

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So in summary
In summary there was two distinct problems. The most recent cumulative update for 1909 seemed to be when they started so I consider it a possible cause. The first previous cummulative from MS was running with I installed Discord and resulted in major issues including having to remove Discord from the Appdata folder.

The resolution was two part. First was to run DISM and SFA. If you decide to try this read first. The second issue was the reporting in task manager was paused. I didn't know this was even an option but could have accidentally enabled it using a touch pas and 1.5 fingers that I don't hae much feeling in. Or maybe MS decided it should be on or.... Dunno don't care because I won't forget this soon.

I also after this was done, and at much urging, tried excluding the Defender from the folders that BI stores data into. No measurable difference but if it is really direct to disk and Intel h.264 it should not be a lot for one write. I also reduce the frame rate from 25 to 20. Also not a difference maker. I sort of expected this would be so.... Dunno. Maybe some of these things only really matter once there is a shortage of resources which I do not have.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Communities are great places to seek suggestions and offer suggestions.

I would offer that getting suggestions is generally considered a gift. Pushing or challenging someone isn't.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So in summary
In summary there was two distinct problems. The most recent cumulative update for 1909 seemed to be when they started so I consider it a possible cause. The first previous cummulative from MS was running with I installed Discord and resulted in major issues including having to remove Discord from the Appdata folder.

The resolution was two part. First was to run DISM and SFA. If you decide to try this read first. The second issue was the reporting in task manager was paused. I didn't know this was even an option but could have accidentally enabled it using a touch pas and 1.5 fingers that I don't hae much feeling in. Or maybe MS decided it should be on or.... Dunno don't care because I won't forget this soon.

I also after this was done, and at much urging, tried excluding the Defender from the folders that BI stores data into. No measurable difference but if it is really direct to disk and Intel h.264 it should not be a lot for one write. I also reduce the frame rate from 25 to 20. Also not a difference maker. I sort of expected this would be so.... Dunno. Maybe some of these things only really matter once there is a shortage of resources which I do not have.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Communities are great places to seek suggestions and offer suggestions.

I would offer that getting suggestions is generally considered a gift. Pushing or challenging someone isn't.

Thanks
Keep doing things the wrong way and directly in contradiction to the developers instructions and then wonder why you have issues.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you watching the live stream? If so, you will see the CPU you spike while doing so.
I think your comment helped me a post talking about the Task Manager not updating because it was paused. I didn't realize that under the View menu you can chg the grequency. Mine was set to pause. I was checking right after rebooting when it is usually high. Problem was that whatever it was first time I looked at it it never changed. SO of course it was always high.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess I didn't take the time to really understand the problem and was looking at it all wrong. It wasn't a BI problem it was a Win problem (some damaged files) and a setting in task manager that needed to be changed. I guess sometimes we all make mistakes.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
My BI PC has last months updates installed and I have no issues.

I’ve just updated to install the May updates, will check over the next few days to see if there is an impact.

Last edited:

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My BI PC has last months updates installed and I have no issues.

I’ve just updated to install the May updates, will check over the next few days to see if there is an impact.
Post it up if you think of it. I would be curious but I think I had a hand in my issues. The previous MS update was downloaded waiting a reboot when I installed Discord and then rebooted. Discord got installed, didn't work and would not uninstall. I picked it out based on some guides and restarted windows. I later re-installed it. After I re-applied this upgrade I also turned HyperVM off and when I did so Discord updater stopped working. After using the DIscord uninstall and reboot and re-installing I think maybe it's OK now but will see next time MS pushes. After looking I wasn't only one that had issues with Discord being applied while a restart for an upgrade was pending. MS has put a ton of work in WIndows trying to catch up to Unix but I think they gotten there driving like I did when I was 16 :)