How to get NVR or camera alerts to your phone notification status bar

Kinchyle

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Dahua NVR but should work with anything that can send email alerts.
You will need gmail. If you don't know what gmail is, stop reading, turn off your computer and find the nearest human and ask.

On the Dahua NVR setup email alerting
Settings->Network->Email
Click Enable
SMTP Server=smtp.gmail.com
Port=465
Username=[put in your gmail that will send the emails. I setup a unique account just for emailing. Mainly because of the next setting...]
Password=[use the password that you created for this gmail account. I'd use a password that you don't use for any other accounts and save it in your credential locker...]
Sender=[same as your sending account name]

Encryption type=SSL
Subject=NVR Alert
Attachment=checked
Receiver=[put in the email accounts that will go to your phone. I have android so it's my google address used on my phone... You can also put in multiple emails if you have multiple phones or other family members you want the NVR alerts]
Interval=60
Health Enable=Unchecked (this will send you an "I am working email" if you think this could break and you want a heartbeat email)
Click the "Email Test" button after the next step to verify

Allow gmail to get email from "less secure apps".
The nvr will be untrusted so you need to set the "sender" gmail to allow untrusted
Use this link then switch to ON. If the link doesn't work google "how to allow gmail to use less secure apps"

In your receiver emails on your phone setup an "Alarms" label
Either on phone or web load up gmail and go to settings.
Click Settings gear in top right(web) or top left on phone.
Click “Labels” and “Create new label”
Call it “Alarms” and leave the defaults of show and show for label list and message list.

In your reciever emails on your phone Add a filter so “NVR ALERT” subject goes to alarm.
In gmail settings on the web go to “Filters and Blocked Addresses” on the top.
Click “Create a new filter”
Below Subject it says “Has the words”
Type in NVR ALERT

On your receiver phone set Alarm label to go to notifications bar
Open Gmail mobile app
click triple line(settings) in top left
click settings gear at bottom of list
click your email/account name
click “manage labels” at bottom
Click “Alarms” and check “Label Notifications”
You can also add sound, vibrate or notify for every message. I leave these all blank.

My phone vibrates on default for “Phone Notification”. If you have “Notify every message” blank it will alert/vibrate on first email but stop doing vibrate for each additional unless you clear your notification bar on your phone. I like this in case it's sending 3 or 4 more notifications after the first triggered event and not causing vibration/sound chaos on my phone. Basically you can mute the alerting if you have a runaway alarm if you leave the gmail notification uncleared on your phone.

Your NVR should now send emails from a "sender account" to your phone email. Your phone should now vibrate on the first email and pop up on your notification bar. The alert email should even have a "snapshot" of the trigger(if it doesn't make sure to click the attachment button in NVR settings)

After I get the notification popup. I think use OpenVPN shortcut then the gDMSS to see the triggered video if it's something the "snapshot" in the email has me curious.

Last edited: