How to ping camera

redavenger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys

I have a all functional and working hikvision nvr 7608 running firmware 4.1.5
I also have hikvision 6 megapixle cameras.
It's all working and I can access the cameras individually using the virtual host option.
Anyway I want to know is there a way I can ping the cameras individually either from a pc on my network or from the nvr itself?

Nvr had ip of 192.168.0.15

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
  • Press Window Key + R key at same time
  • Type in "cmd", hit <enter>
  • In black command prompt window, type "ping 192.168.0.xxx" (sub camera IP or network device IP), hit <enter>
  • Press CNTRL + C key at same time to stop
  • Type "exit" and hit <enter> to close command prompt window

There are variations but this'll get the job done.

redavenger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah I don't think that's going to work. The camera is on the nvr network and not on the same subnet as the normal network

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I don't think that's going to work. The camera is on the nvr network and not on the same subnet as the normal network
Sure it will....plug your PC into a POE port of the NVR and do it. Give the PC you're pinging from a static IP on the same subnet as the cameras.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyway I want to know is there a way I can ping the cameras individually either from a pc on my network or from the nvr itself?
Just for fun - here is another way to access the cameras directly on their actual IP address, with the PC on the LAN in the normal way :
Trying to set up nethdd with SMB, not working at all!!

Also - if the reason you want to do this is to check on the camera, the NVR can be configured to send an email alert on 'Loss of video'.
Check out the Event settings in the NVR.