Trying to set up nethdd with SMB, not working at all!!

Shadowjump

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. I have tried many ways to add an HDD for the camera to record to. I read everything in the forum and tried everything. No luck.

The OS is Windows 10, I have installed a new HDD and I created a partition of 199GB. Inside the partition, a folder named 2.

The IP of the computer is 192.168.0.50

What I tried is.

1. Server address 192.168.0.50
2. File path \2 (the folder can be accessed from a computer at \\192.168.0.50\2)
3. Mounting type SMB/CIFS
4. Username Alkis and for a password I tried without and with a password. The username is the same as of the user account on the PC and the password is the one associated with the username.
5. Click test -> failed to connect the test server

What am I doing wrong???

Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What am I doing wrong???
You haven't explained how you have created the shared volume on the Windows computer.
By default, there will be no sharing and no access.

Windows needs to offer the volume as an SMB/CIFS network share, and the Windows firewall needs to allow access in from other devices on the LAN.
When you go through the 'sharing this volume' configuration in Windows these configuration items are automatically set.

Shadowjump

n3wb
Reaction score
You haven't explained how you have created the shared volume on the Windows computer.
By default, there will be no sharing and no access.

Windows needs to offer the volume as an SMB/CIFS network share, and the Windows firewall needs to allow access in from other devices on the LAN.
When you go through the 'sharing this volume' configuration in Windows these configuration items are automatically set.
1. Formatted an empty HDD
2. Created a partition less than 200GB (199GB to be exact)
3. Tried sharing the volume as it is. Right click -> properties -> Sharing -> Advanced Sharing -> Share this folder (Everyone -> read/write access)
4. Tried creating a folder inside the volume (Everyone -> read/write access)

I have no problem accessing the folder or the volume from another computer.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I read here that SMBv1 is not installed by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows Server, version 1709, which came out about Nov. 2017. Lots of NAS users are having problems with Win 10, especially after the Fall Creator's Update version 1709.

Also, Comodo Firewall, Hyper-V and some antivirus programs can interfere or block TCP ports 445 (SMB) and 139.

rpc

n3wb
Reaction score
There is a big thread here just about SMB. Maybe you will find your answers there.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Try naming the share something other than 2. Try 'Camera2'.

This config works fine on my cameras (to a windows 2016 server):

upload_2018-3-30_9-9-16.png

Shadowjump

n3wb
Reaction score
The password that you are using is the username/password of the account when you log in at the server?

Shadowjump

n3wb
Reaction score
Still nothing.

Cant figure what could be wrong.

Steps again are:

Tried sharing the drive as it is (its a 199GB partition) with the name Camera1. Tried sharing a folder inside the drive named Camera1. Nothing.
Enabled SMB1, still nothing.
Tried adding a password to my user account. Its Alkis - alkis and still nothing.
Tried without a password.
Checked permissions in sharing. Both Everyone and Alkis/Administrator (the user name is Alkis), still nothing.

At the camera menu, tried 2 camera paths. \Camera1 and \Camera1\ and still nothing.
Disabled Windows Firewall, nothing.

These are the settings in the camera menu

Attachments

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Still nothing.

Cant figure what could be wrong.

These are the settings in the camera menu
What is the camera's IP/subnet and your server's IP/subnet?

Can you connect to the camera from the server via http?

Any other "firewall" software, e.g. Norton Internet Security, etc?

Shadowjump

n3wb
Reaction score
The NVR is 192.168.0.37, after I enable the virtual host on the NVR for the cameras, the camera IP is 192.168.0.37:1000.

The server is is 192.168.0.50

Subnet is 255.255.255.0 sever and nvr.

Only program running is Bitdefender Antivirus Free, which I also disabled. Still nothing :(

Shadowjump

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, they are IP cameras. They have the same IP, but different port. But what does this have to do with recording? The camera cannot access the server. Not the server the cameras.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've never seen multiple devices on a network share the same IP address. In any network environment I've worked in, multiple devices sharing the same IP address will result in havoc.

If all your cameras have the same IP address, how would your server know which camera to send handshaking packets to?

Each of my cameras have their own IP address on my network.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My cameras are on a private VLAN and dump their motion-detection recordings to a collection of shares on a Windows 2016 Server which has a port on the same vlan.

Each camera has its own IP address, as does the server.

If your configuration is like this:

Code:
                   /------> Camera1
Server  <-----> NVR <-----> Camera2
                   \------> Camera3
And you connect to the camera from the "server" side of your network via a port-forwarded connection on your NVR, then in all likelihood your cameras are on a private lan managed by the NVR and will not be addressable by your Server (and, likewise, will not be able to communicate with your server, since the NVR probably does not NAT outbound traffic, but only does inbound port forwarding so you can connect to the cameras behind the NVR.

Multiple devices cannot have the same IP address on a network, it causes IP address conflicts and causes havoc.

What does your Network->Basic settings on the cameras show?

upload_2018-4-11_17-53-44.png

Last edited:

Shadowjump

n3wb
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying. But I did some reading and saw that if the cameras are connected on a PoE NVR, they must use the internal LAN of the NVR and they cannot use the external IP. Unless this is not the case anymore! Are your cameras PoE cameras?

Dont mind the DHCP that is not ticked. Even if I tick it and save the settings, it reverts to unticked but still gets an IP from the NVR.

Here are my settings.

Attachments

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, there is your problem. Your camera is on a 192.168.254.x subnet, and do not have a default gateway defined. Your server is on a 192.168.0.x subnet. Packets from your cameras have no idea how to traverse your network to get to their destination. This is basic IP networking 101.

I assume your NVR has a 192.168.254.1 IP address, which allows the cameras to communicate with the NVR on the "NVR" LAN. Your NVR, as previously stated, is likely not configured to act as a router (either NAT or otherwise) so at no time will traffic from your 192.168.0.x subnet be able to communicate with the cameras.

All of my cameras are POE. However, I do not have an NVR, I stream my cameras to a series of shares on a server on the same VLAN as one of the NICs in my server.

I cannot say what your NVR requires in terms of camera configuration.

However, what you are attempting to do will never work as your network is currently configured.

Shitcan your NVR and use BlueIris.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a way to gain normal access to cameras connected to NVR POE ports ...
3 things needed -
Virtual Host enabled on the NVR.
Cameras must have the NVR PoE interface add the default gateway, or 192.168.254.1 To do this you'll need to have the PoE channel in manual mode to stop the NVR changing the gateway back to an unsuitable value.
And in order to tell your network where to direct the packets for the cameras, you will need to add a static route in your router/gateway, something like -
For network 192.168.254.0/24 (ie subnet mask 255.255.255.0) use 192.168.0.50 as gateway.
Then the cameras can access the LAN (ie the NAS) and also the internet.