How to properly wire/mount cameras... new construction

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This isn't a ding on the op, but anyone following along, Do yourself a favor and if possible don't wait until this stage of the game to figure all this out. Plan ahead. ;)

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
1-It's simple, the PIR will come with a diagram.
4-No, not all, as you don't need them. You can always purchase a compatible male plugs to attach to the ethernet cable, then plug into the IR.

Such as: https://www.amazon.com/SIM-NAT-Pigtails-Security-Surveillance/dp/B01GPL8MVG/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1530810162&sr=8-21&keywords=male+connector+wire
Ah got it. So just take a pair from the Cat6 cable and connect to the leads from the connector you linked? As for planning ahead, I will 100% agree with that as I'm scrambling to get this together and I'm 2 weeks away from running everything! :confused:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's been wisely said, if building a house, take as long to plan for it, as the same length of time estimated to build it, before breaking ground.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@105437

I've used both the attic and crawl space.

I've also used 45-90 degree 3/4" EMT elbows from the crawl space up from the crawl space to the ethernet drops along the wall - this worked fairly well, took extra time. ( worked well when insulating the floor - as now the drops will be more clear for any future work )

For a one story - I like using the crawl space for ethernet wall jacks - as they are mounted low, and the attic runs for cameras which will be mounted about 8 feet high.

Also, Grey PVC schedule 40 pipe is very affordable - and easy to work with - I found that useful for running cable ( 3/4" + )

I also used 1/2-3/4" EMT to run by tight spots near electrical lines - that does a great job to shield the unshielded cable I was using.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You have a real crawl space, a mini basement. That wouldn't be too bad to work in at all.
Thanks @looney2ns... Problem is it goes to around 3' halfway to the other side and there is a ton of HVAC ducts and plumbing in the way. The attic is huge and accessible so I'm running everything from up top.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
2) My IT closet has a door on the front and rear so access should be just fine.
Where do you plan on terminating all the cable?

Do you know where your porch lights will be?
Thanks @looney2ns... Problem is it goes to around 3' halfway to the other side and there is a ton of HVAC ducts and plumbing in the way. The attic is huge and accessible so I'm running everything from up top.
It still probably wouldn't be that hard to use the crawlspace. Realistically you might expect to use a bit of both.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@105437 looking very nice!

I would definitely plan to get a 16+ port NVR / switch as I can easily see putting in more than 8 cameras.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
By the way, working in crawlspaces suck!
wasps, yellow jackets, bees, mice, squirrels, and heatstroke vs. spiders, mice, rats, frogs, crickets, ants, termites, cockroaches, mold and snakes

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wasps, yellow jackets, bees, mice, squirrels, and heatstroke vs. spiders, mice, rates, frogs, crickets, ants, termites, cockroaches, mold and snakes
LOL - recall working when it was rather warm until noon in the attic, and then after that in the crawl space...

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Where do you plan on terminating all the cable?

Do you know where your porch lights will be?

It still probably wouldn't be that hard to use the crawlspace. Realistically you might expect to use a bit of both.
Hi @tangent. All my cables will be home run to what was supposed to be a coat closet. I have highlighted it in red in the attachment. I added a door to this closet from the bedroom so it has front/back access. None of the porches have traditional wall mounted fixtures. Apparently the new look for porches is to only use recessed cans in the ceiling. Is the only benefit of using the crawlspace some to have shorter runs for some of the drops?

Thanks!

Attachments

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@105437 looking very nice!

I would definitely plan to get a 16+ port NVR / switch as I can easily see putting in more than 8 cameras.
Thanks @mat200! I tend to agree with you. I'm going to wire for about 12 cameras but my initial install will look like this so I at least cover my doors. I didn't measure the FOV for this drawing but it'll give the general idea. Appreciate it!

Attachments

Last edited:

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've added to my wiring plan. Going to be fun running all of this! Thoughts and comments much appreciated.

Red = Network/AV wiring (Cat6, RG6, HDMI, Speaker Wire, etc.)
Blue = Wireless APs (Cat6)
Orange = Security Cameras (Cat6)
Brown = Security Cameras Phase II (Cat6)
Purple = Ceiling Speakers (Speaker Wire)

Attachments

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@105437 How is the install going? Lot's of good advice given.
Going great! Last weekend I completed 22 drops. Started with the longest runs first :). This weekend I hope to get the rest of them done. I'll post pictures once I'm done, thanks for asking.