How to set a Storage Quota/Limit on Hikvision Cams?

memme

n3wb
Reaction score
I use 10 Hikvision Smart hybrid cameras and allow the recordings to be saved on a local drive in a 24/7 windows server.
Currently, the 1 TB storage is full, and Hikvision does not overwrite the oldest files; instead, it displays an HDD Error.
Each camera has a quota of nearly the entire HDD size, rather than just 10%.
Unfortunately, I am unable to edit the field for the maximum storage.
How can I resolve this issue? Is there a way to instruct each camera to use only 100GB?

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Insure it's set to overwrite under "Schedule settings", "Advanced" button, as in this thread below.

memme

n3wb
Reaction score
This is set, but it does not help because the camera does not recognize that the space is fully filled. Please see screenshot of my 1st post. The cam takes the whole drive as its own free space.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The cam takes the whole drive as its own free space.
That's by design.
If no other devices were using the share, the camera would overwrite as needed.
But the way you've configured it, the aggregate size allocated to the various devices exceeds the actual size of the share.
You need to configure individual share sizes (I'm not sure if the camera will still require this to be separate shares as it used to be, or whether now a folder tree can be configured, it's ages since I've use network shares on a Hikvision device)) such that you're not over-allocating the space.

memme

n3wb
Reaction score
So, I need to create virtual devices for each camera? That makes it very unclean to have 10 extra drives

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So, I need to create virtual devices for each camera? That makes it very unclean to have 10 extra drives
Ages back, when I had multiple cameras recording to a single NFS share on a NAS box, it was possible to manage and configure the storage with per-user quotas.
The Hikvision cameras file system access respected the quota size as opposed to the volume size.
I've not tried this on Windows shares - I hardly use Windows - but you may be able to use the same method of per-user quotas on a single share.