How To Upgrade Amcrest / Lorex to Dahua Firmware And Get All Dahua Features

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Found this on Youtube. Guy shows you how to upgrade Dahua OEM cameras such as Amcrest or Lorex to Dahua firmware and get all the features such as facial detection, intrusion, ect.

I want to do it to my cameras but I'm afraid it might brick them or cause other issues. Your thoughts?

Last edited:

KCO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interesting, I wonder if it can be done with lite @ lite ai models or other cases that the hardware is identical and only software aspects change.

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can anyone who did this provide a feedback if there are any improvements to stream quality etc. besides the appearance of new features? I don't really need those features because I use Blue Iris but any improvements to streaming would be welcome. Also are there any additional options in the BLC/WDR settings in the Dahua firmware?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Found this on Youtube. Guy shows you how to upgrade Dahua OEM cameras such as Amcrest or Lorex to Dahua firmware and get all the features such as facial detection, intrusion, ect.

I want to do it to my cameras but I'm afraid it might brick them or cause other issues. Your thoughts?

Excellent find @jd415

You're going to make a lot of people very happy with that.

mmmburritos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I flashed the Dahua firmware on my LaView LTDHIP3682W-28ISM, it takes the same Dahua Rhea firmware. I knew it would accept it, that's why I bought it from LaView (got a pretty solid deal back in Nov). I did not know that the Amcrest cameras would also accept it and add IVS so that's awesome news. Might be picking up another one of these now that I know that.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Well for anyone that has the IP8M-2496 cameras (the ones that are always on Amazon deals), I went ahead and tried this and can confirm that BINGO......IT WORKS ! Now have IVS on these cams. I will let you know that I did have to upgrade the Amcrest to the latest first then go ahead and upgrade to the Dahua. Also it does keep your old password so don't worry that you are not prompted to setup new. The old firmware upgrade screen looked different but the new one looked very similar to the Dahua upgrade screens we are used to so knew it was looking good.

Face Detection and IVS supported on this one. SmartIR & up to 40960 bitrate, should you ever need that :) hahahah

Also of note is this does unlock a 3rd stream where this cam is usually limited to 2.

Now all I have to do is find the latest Lorex LNB9232 FW and I'll try flashing those old ones as well :)

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thought I would post another update. I also tried Lorex 9232's and 8963's just for grins as I had those old units kicking around here, no joy. Looks to be using an older boot loader (which Amcrest did as well) however unlike Amcrest that has an updated one that you can then piggyback off of to the Dahua FW, Lorex have not updated the cams since release. Due to this they kick out a file mismatch error which when looking deeper appears to point to a filename and firmware build difference for these cams. So no bricking of cams in trying this but also no joy in getting them to their respective Dahua equivalents unfortunately.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well for anyone that has the IP8M-2496 cameras (the ones that are always on Amazon deals), I went ahead and tried this and can confirm that BINGO......IT WORKS ! Now have IVS on these cams. I will let you know that I did have to upgrade the Amcrest to the latest first then go ahead and upgrade to the Dahua. Also it does keep your old password so don't worry that you are not prompted to setup new. The old firmware upgrade screen looked different but the new one looked very similar to the Dahua upgrade screens we are used to so knew it was looking good.

Face Detection and IVS supported on this one. SmartIR & up to 40960 bitrate, should you ever need that :) hahahah

Also of note is this does unlock a 3rd stream where this cam is usually limited to 2.

Now all I have to do is find the latest Lorex LNB9232 FW and I'll try flashing those old ones as well :)
Thanks Wildcat!

So sweet news! Gotta update the couple I picked up ( got them for a super nice deal when I stacked a coupon + Amazon lightning deal - while not the best image capture at night, for the price a good deal for day time image capture for me )

1580240409014.png

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@mat200
and Thanks to you as well because it was your post on that deal that had me pickup the 2 I have which have now been upgraded. I went up to the December build for 2019 without any issue.

Let me know with any questions.

Thanks Wildcat!

So sweet news! Gotta update the couple I picked up ( got them for a super nice deal when I stacked a coupon + Amazon lightning deal - while not the best image capture at night, for the price a good deal for day time image capture for me )

View attachment 54750

mmmburritos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thought I would post another update. I also tried Lorex 9232's and 8963's just for grins as I had those old units kicking around here, no joy. Looks to be using an older boot loader (which Amcrest did as well) however unlike Amcrest that has an updated one that you can then piggyback off of to the Dahua FW, Lorex have not updated the cams since release. Due to this they kick out a file mismatch error which when looking deeper appears to point to a filename and firmware build difference for these cams. So no bricking of cams in trying this but also no joy in getting them to their respective Dahua equivalents unfortunately.
Here's an idea....try updating them to an older Dahua firmware first and then upgrading to a more recent build afterwards?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I did that. Even matched the version numbers to ensure that and still no joy

Here's an idea....try updating them to an older Dahua firmware first and then upgrading to a more recent build afterwards?

Reactions: Drk

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've got an X-Security model XS-IPDM9852ZWH-2 that was gifted to me by one of my brothers in law. It's a European relabel of a Dahua model. But I can't figure out which Dahua model. It seems to be pretty much identical in all respects to my 5231s, but w/o audio.

Even the current firmware version looks Dahua-ish: V2.800.100B000.0.R, Build Date: 2019-01-19

One of my European nephews upgraded his X-Security cameras to the latest Dahua builds and now they're 5231s.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This file worked on my IP8M-T2499EW:

DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_MultiLang_NP_Stream3_V2.800.0000014.0.R.191203.bin

I tried 6 or 7 HX2X3X bins on my IP4M-1055E but nothing worked. No bricking, just an auto-reboot. At least I converted one cam over to Dahua. Thanks.

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Please post link to the firmware.
I'm having a hard time finding that 14.0 firmware, I only see the 13.0 firmware

update - I found it .. I was using duckduckgo search engine and the repository page would not show up in the in search. I had to use Google search.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I've heard that even LaView and QSee cameras can also be flashed with the latest Dahua firmware

joec2000

n3wb
Reaction score
That's funny - that video is actually from my YouTube channel! Saw a picture of my desk and had to do a double-take :)

I landed here from a Google search to see if anyone has done this yet with the IP4M-1051... Sometimes it is tough to tough to cross reference the model numbers. The FCC database isn't much help either.

Anyone figure out the IP4M-1051 yet?

Also, if anyone has any specific questions about the Dahua-flashed IP8M-T2499, just let me know - I have two of them I can check. I don't have a ton of experience with cameras, though.

Last edited:

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are not that many PTZ Dahua cameras and I believe none of them is 4 MP like the IP4M-1051. I wonder if Dahua created it just for Amcrest...