How to use a Kuna with Blue Iris

T_Tronix

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I tried to find a way to use my Kuna with Blue Iris but couldn't find any "easy" way to do so. The only way I found is to remove all the original internals and replace with my own.

What I used:

Replaced camera with:
IP Wireless WIFI 1080P Camera Module Board with Panorama View @180 Degrees
Update: Camera is POE powered via ethernet cable

Replaced light control with:
Sonoff with Tasmota
Tplink Wifi Switch

Had to cut the camera holder to fit the new camera but that was the only mod required. I managed to fit all the new stuff inside without affecting the look. Now I have a Kuna that can record, push notifications, control the light, all that without paying a monthly service fee!

Here are some pics:

Last edited:

T_Tronix

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Reaction score
Images seem to work...

Also a few changes since I've started this project. I had issues with the wifi from my camera so will hard wire it (not needed but will reinforce my video feed). The Kuna mic didn't work with my setup so had to replace it with this one: US $2.72 |Special MIC microphone with pre amplifier for CCTV cameras IP cameras module output volume adjustable-in CCTV Microphone from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Will you need a different camera module to hardwire it?

T_Tronix

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well the camera that I specified in my initial post worked for me. Any camera in that size range should work...

Reaction score
Well the camera that I specified in my initial post worked for me. Any camera in that size range should work...
Oh, I looked up the camera module you mentioned and 1 from AliExpress came up. It looked like it was WIFI only, so I didn't understand how it would be wired.

T_Tronix

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll add more pictures once I get all the parts I ordered. Going to extend the sonoff with an extended antenna, I added the new mic, the hardest part is to wire the camera (need to add a cable to my router in the wall). Thinking of also adding waterproof pins so that I can reprogram the sonoff if needed (will have to extend the reset button somehow).

So far it's a fun project :)

Reaction score
I'll add more pictures once I get all the parts I ordered. Going to extend the sonoff with an extended antenna, I added the new mic, the hardest part is to wire the camera (need to add a cable to my router in the wall). Thinking of also adding waterproof pins so that I can reprogram the sonoff if needed (will have to extend the reset button somehow).

So far it's a fun project :)
I'd love to see a project write up if you're willing, from googling it seems like there's quite a few people looking for a non cloud based Kuna solution.

T_Tronix

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Been really busy lately so didn't touch this project but hoping as of next week I'll have some time to finish and add new pics as I go along.

To make a write-up will take some free time but I may do one in the future.
The camera is wifi but the board that comes with the camera can have an Ethernet hooked up to it.

T_Tronix

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, these camera boards usually come with a mic connector, mine did. Unlike the other mic the new mic has power (taken from Kunas power supply).

Will you need a different camera module to hardwire it?

T_Tronix

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so I'm not a fan of the camera I'm using. It has very low fps and no onvif (ability to talk back to ppl via app like Kuna did). Also not a fan of the fisheye view...

Looking now for alternatives...

T_Tronix

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok most issues with the camera seem to be blueiris related. Need to look into it...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok most issues with the camera seem to be blueiris related. Need to look into it...
onvif has nothing to do with talk capability.
You will need to provide the developer access to the camera to get talk working if has not been specifically implemented for that model .

T_Tronix

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How do I open a ticket with the dev? None of my cameras have that capabilities working just tested... I have a dlink dcs-2670l and an Amcrest IP3M-HX2W.

onvif has nothing to do with talk capability.
You will need to provide the developer access to the camera to get talk working if has not been specifically implemented for that model .