How would you wire this?

Voab

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just received my cameras from LTS yesterday and I'm walking around my house figuring out where and how I'll be installing them. I want one on the left side of my door but I'm not sure how the hell to wire it. There's no access from the inside of my house, that I can tell, to the location. My neighbor has one in a nearly identical location, so I know it's possible. What is the general best practices in the security industry to do these types of locations?

IMG_0129.JPG

browser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
don't hold yer breath on getting an answer on that here if your not a regular any way

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First question is, what's on the other side of that wall? Is it your garage, etc?

Voab

n3wb
Reaction score
The left is our dining room area, the right is our foyer. Not exactly somewhere you want to put a hole in the wall.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Some folks don't realize that we are human beings that have lives also and can't possibly answer all questions in the time that THEY would like.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Study the access from the porch light...conduit?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

hotwire

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's hard for me to tell from the picture if the soffit under the porch is vinyl or aluminum held up with j-mold or is it solid wood? Can you take another picture that is a little more close up?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Let's take a step back a start with this, sometimes we have to work backwards. Where are you planning on installing your nvr/puter? That can give us a better idea of where we're going. Your neighbor may have a wifi cam installed that the installer tapped power from the porch light. I've seen it done before.

jordanb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If the roof just above the camera is a pitched roof, and not a flat roof, then in The room directly above your front door, looking from that room window to outside, go to the corner to your right, come back to the left 4 inch and drill a small hole below the skirting board, straight through, pass a cable rod through the drilled hole, get someone to rattle the rod about, place your hand on the surface where you want to fix your camera, and if you can feel the vibrations, or it sounds close, then there's a good chance you will be able to hook the cable, drill a 20 or 25mm hole in the soffit, hook your cable rod through the hole, tie your cable to the end of the rod and pull through.

jordanb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, make sure that you check the height of your downstairs ceiling is more or less the same level as your soffit.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe this situation calls for running the wire on the outside of the house (in conduit if you want) to a location where the entry point would be easier to run to the NVR / POE?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@browser your an ass - my guess is thats why you never receive any help and have that impression.

@Chris Hacken - this is a tough question because there are so many variables at play. Stepping back and taking a picture of the entire front of your home may assist more in recommendations as well as a quick pencil sketch of the inside front walls so we know whats on the other side. What about the other side of the door to the left - would that provide access to a garage wall possibly? The neighbor may have paid an electrician to wall fiche his cables. This could be done with minimal disruption to the inside drywall. For example to get the line to the attic it would require around 3 or 4 16"x3" cuts. One would be directly on the other side of where the camera will be to access and pull cable from outside, another near the ceiling line if that is not the same as previous one. Then that hole will also serve as access to drill into the above studs and into the second floor exterior wall, an access low to pull up and another access high to pull upto and again drill the top jack stud and into the attic. About 2 hours and a few hundred bucks and an electrician could knock this out, however that is assuming you don't have crazy textured walls that will be hard to repair/patch/match and then paint.

If your home sits on a crawl space or unfinished basement though you should be able to drill into that exterior wall cavity from below and simply use push rods to push cable up from the bottom to the top of that cavity and mount the camera on the side wall which will provide better facial shots on approach anyways vs. being high or on the ceiling.

Side note - great choice on the LTS cameras

Git

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe this situation calls for running the wire on the outside of the house (in conduit if you want) to a location where the entry point would be easier to run to the NVR / POE?
When I saw the gutter and downspout - that was my first thought

Maybe even go through the attic and down the back of the downspout with some exterior rated cable?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Let's take a step back a start with this, sometimes we have to work backwards. Where are you planning on installing your nvr/puter? That can give us a better idea of where we're going. Your neighbor may have a wifi cam installed that the installer tapped power from the porch light. I've seen it done before.
Tapping power from the porch light? While the light is off? I doubt it is wired that way. But maybe... If so then a powerline adapter could be used for network access too and no wifi would be required to connect the cam.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If they tapped the leg before the switch then it would work. I've seen weird stuff from techs from Comcast and ATT.

Voab

n3wb
Reaction score
I was considering that, but is that considered safe practice? Can't someone just tamper with the conduit?

@browser your an ass - my guess is thats why you never receive any help and have that impression.

@Chris Hacken - this is a tough question because there are so many variables at play. Stepping back and taking a picture of the entire front of your home may assist more in recommendations as well as a quick pencil sketch of the inside front walls so we know whats on the other side. What about the other side of the door to the left - would that provide access to a garage wall possibly? The neighbor may have paid an electrician to wall fiche his cables. This could be done with minimal disruption to the inside drywall. For example to get the line to the attic it would require around 3 or 4 16"x3" cuts. One would be directly on the other side of where the camera will be to access and pull cable from outside, another near the ceiling line if that is not the same as previous one. Then that hole will also serve as access to drill into the above studs and into the second floor exterior wall, an access low to pull up and another access high to pull upto and again drill the top jack stud and into the attic. About 2 hours and a few hundred bucks and an electrician could knock this out, however that is assuming you don't have crazy textured walls that will be hard to repair/patch/match and then paint.

If your home sits on a crawl space or unfinished basement though you should be able to drill into that exterior wall cavity from below and simply use push rods to push cable up from the bottom to the top of that cavity and mount the camera on the side wall which will provide better facial shots on approach anyways vs. being high or on the ceiling.

Side note - great choice on the LTS cameras
This is essentially exactly what I wanted to know.