HP Elitedesk SFF G4

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are confusing the m2 slot pcie with standard pcie, nothing has to be stamped... Google it
The m2 slot will work as well.
Page 22 of the maintenance and service guide show (10) the M.2 wlan system board connector, and (2)/(3) as the pci express x1 connector.

What I’m confused about is what i wrote above. After sticking the wlan card i bought in the m.2 wlan connector on the MB, what next? All the cables i see are mhf4 (which go on the wlan card) to rp-sma which terminates in an antenna.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This guide shows you where the antenna would normally be fitted, might be worth checking to see if you already have this installed, you never know it may come preinstalled in which case you could just get the module that fits on the motherboard.

https://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1052966497.pdf
Thanks. I’ve been all over that. I don’t have the wire or the kit that connects to wire to the case, which is why i originally called HP— to get those parts.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Page 22 of the maintenance and service guide show (10) the M.2 wlan system board connector, and (2)/(3) as the pci express x1 connector.

What I’m confused about is what i wrote above. After sticking the wlan card i bought in the m.2 wlan connector on the MB, what next? All the cables i see are mhf4 (which go on the wlan card) to rp-sma which terminates in an antenna.
If you use the m2 card you will have to drill holes for the antennas in a blank expansion slot, otherwise you can simply use is standard pcie Wi-Fi card and save yourself the headache.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I am going to add another NIC card. Does anyone have experience with what fits in this machine?
I have an Elitedesk 800 running BI with a second NIC added. Use the on-board one for your camera streams and the add-on for UI3 or whatever remote management you do. I bought a cheapo NIC card and the camera streams would go in and out when using it. It handles UI3 and RPD just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman - just got off with another HP tech: he confirms that the feature byte on the motherboard may not have been enabled for WiFi (so MB wouldn’t know how to communicate with the m.2 / pci-e slots), but could not confirm if that was the case with my MB. So, he gave me a parts dpt email address to try. I’ll try that and let people know.

If it does work I did find a solution. The Intel CNVi WiFi Upgrade Kit! Only $20 bucks with the wlan card. Got to finish pulling on the thread now!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman - just got off with another HP tech: he confirms that the feature byte on the motherboard may not have been enabled for WiFi (so MB wouldn’t know how to communicate with the m.2 / pci-e slots), but could not confirm if that was the case with my MB. So, he gave me a parts dpt email address to try. I’ll try that and let people know.

If it does work I did find a solution. The Intel CNVi WiFi Upgrade Kit! Only $20 bucks with the wlan card. Got to finish pulling on the thread now!
Again you are confusing the m2 slot with the standard PCI Express slots... I don't care what an HP technician says any Wi-Fi PCI Express card is going to work nothing needs to be enabled in the motherboard. That's just fact.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
What @fenderman is saying is true. A standard card in the industry standard should work, bonus being it should come with an aerial so no faffing around. This would be akin to plugging in a standard network card into the slot.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Again you are confusing the m2 slot with the standard PCI Express slots... I don't care what an HP technician says any Wi-Fi PCI Express card is going to work nothing needs to be enabled in the motherboard. That's just fact.
I still do not understand why HP would say this and feel something else was misunderstood by HP.

@iseeker just buy a PCI-e wifi card and install it. Those come with antennas on the back also. Prime deal sale:
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Archer-T6E-Wireless-Technology/dp/B016K0896K/

If you see any issues you will not be able to boot into bios or it will be a blank screen until it boots into windows.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well F HP. Stuck the 9560 card on to the mobo, booted up, and...all good. :ohsnap:. Why didn't I just try that last night?!! No reception, since no atennas, but I bought this bad boy to hook it up with. Will be good. Also installed another 8GB crucial ram stick (DDR4-2666 udimm).

Next is the HDD. But what cables do I need. It has what I show in the picture; what else do I need for my WD40PURZ? A power cable? Link? If power cable, should I put in the light or dark blue connectors on the mobo (manual says dark is for the primary drive but my primary drive is the ssd card you can see installed). Thanks in advance. Excuse my drama :facepalm:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at photo it seems you have the sata cable / power free to connect wd purple.

is that sata cable in the cd rom? you need another one it seems to hookup the purple. You can use the main blue one or light blue.

I have 1 sata for cd rom (in light blue) - 1 for first purple (dark blue) and 1 for second purple (light blue).

You can probably buy aftermarket but you need
SATA Cables Straight Connectors 611894-002

Last edited:

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking at photo it seems you have the sata cable / power free to connect wd purple.

is that sata cable in the cd rom? you need another one it seems to hookup the purple. You can use the main blue one or light blue.

I have 1 sata for cd rom (in light blue) - 1 for first purple (dark blue) and 1 for second purple (light blue).

You can probably buy aftermarket but you need
SATA Cables Straight Connectors 611894-002
Perfect thank you. I was wondering about the straight cables vs the 90° connector ones. And yes the other cable goes to my DVD drive (611894-021 rev F).

BTW - 611894-002 is 19.5 inches. Seems really long for that space

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Perfect thank you. I was wondering about the straight cables vs the 90° connector ones. And yes the other cable goes to my DVD drive (611894-021 rev F).

BTW - 611894-002 is 19.5 inches. Seems really long for that space

19" is a bit long and there is extra wire since it is only a few inches as you see from the drive but it is what comes OEM with HP and I just wanted to stick with OEM wires that are 6gb/s connectors to keep HP happy. You could probably get away with using aftermarket ones that are shorter:
https://www.amazon.com/LINESO-Inch-SATA-Gbps-Cable/dp/B01HHQ44D8

That is up to you but I really do not care what it looks like inside the case as this is just a work mule for the cams.

I will try to get a comparison of the 7060 dell and g4 hp with dimensions in another thread. For people trying to decide. But the g4 800 i5-8500 has been going for decent pricing 385-450. Not too bad.

Last edited:

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ended up with these
Cable Matters 3-Pack Straight SATA III 6.0 Gbps SATA Cable (SATA 3 Cable) Black - 18 Inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018Y2LCEI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wH4lDbDZ7JFQ0

Decent reviews, 3 cables for $8. Monoprice has some in different lengths but not available right now. Also, reviewers with the shorter cables often said they were short enough to be tight sometimes. Though you are right, these will be used very close to the drives.

Haven’t had a desktop in a while. Loving the 800 G4 so far. So easily configurable.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I ended up with these
Cable Matters 3-Pack Straight SATA III 6.0 Gbps SATA Cable (SATA 3 Cable) Black - 18 Inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018Y2LCEI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wH4lDbDZ7JFQ0

Decent reviews, 3 cables for $8. Monoprice has some in different lengths but not available right now. Also, reviewers with the shorter cables often said they were short enough to be tight sometimes. Though you are right, these will be used very close to the drives.

Haven’t had a desktop in a while. Loving the 800 G4 so far. So easily configurable.
The 18" is a lot of extra wire. the 9" would've been fine. I feel too tight if far away but SFF so close together. I just went with HP OEM. Aftermarket I would've went with 9"

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Note that if you plan to use an nvme ssd on the MB, it requires a specialized (not the standard M2x3mm) screw hp part no L54548-001. They are out of stock though. They are 10 bux. HP support confirmed they are not made of gold despite the price. I will look around for something that works.
The HP Parts Store | HP Computer Parts | HP Printer Parts
Were you able to find a screw that works? I noticed this part is still nowhere to be found!

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes i posted a link earlier in the thread
Thanks- found it. Do you know if I use the M.2 drive as my primary boot drive if I can still utilize the dark blue (primary drive) SATA port for secondary drives?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I saw a g4 i5-8500 go for under $300 and this is at a good price:
Open Box HP EliteDesk 800 G4 TWR i5-8500 3.0GHz 16GB DDR4 512GB SSD Win10 -J1459 | eBay

You can find the screws for HDD cheap on ebay:
4pcs Screws 3.5 HDD compaq blue hard drive isolation mounting for HP TEUS | eBay

m.2 screws:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D6G9XXL

2.5" SSD:
20x HP 2.5 HDD Mounting Screws 6000 6005 Pro 8000 8100 EliteDesk ProDesk G1 G2 | eBay

Thanks again @fenderman for this insight. It was confusing trying to find a good blue iris computer and this really has been a good experience setting up this computer due to fenderman's info.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score