HUGE RUMOR: Unifi Protect will support ONVIF cameras (like from HIK/Dahua)

Reaction score
I've got 10 Amcrest cams running on a UDM Pro with a 2TB Purple drive. Scrubbing works well (Way better than my Amcrest NVR), recording is fine, remote view is fine. It seems to have picked up on the two streams and I can switch between them with LQ/HQ. The biggest thing missing is audio. If you download a clip there will be some audio right at the beginning but it's garbled and then it just cuts out all together. All cameras are pushing AAC audio so it should be pretty compatible with most things. I don't use on camera detection because the Amcrest implementation is garbage (You end up losing a second or two of video and it starts recording the motion clip) so that doesn't matter and I rarely use the PTZ on the few cameras that have it but I can see how that might be nice eventually. The sound is a disappointment though. If I could get at least one way sound I'd shut my Amcrest NVR off entirely and use the UDM Pro for archiving. Currently using Frigate and Coral for detections tied into HASS for notifications. BI was causing all sorts of headaches with the Coral integration and I finally gave up on it but I may mess with it again in the future.

mjonline

n3wb
Reaction score
Now that I've spent maybe 100 hours setting up and tweaking BI, I'm starting to like the result. Lots of things become faster and easier than with the NVR. Horribly steep learning curve with BI. I would think that if Dahua and Hikvision start to see sales being siphoned off, they will respond quickly.
No such thing with Unifi and Protect. It's a charm compared to both BL and Dahua or Hikvision. Although Protect can have storage and capacity limitations depending on platform you chose it's a whole other ball game when it come to esetup and use It has one of nicest mobile and web based apps I've ever seen from any manufacture. The worst part about Protect has always been its incompatibility with ONVIF and their cameras. Although some have a unique cool design they are over priced for and limited in features. I can't wait to try swapping an NVR with a Protect appliance. Especially for my customers already on Unifi. The other great thing about this news is it comes right at the demise of Dahua USA.

Mj