HUGE RUMOR: Unifi Protect will support ONVIF cameras (like from HIK/Dahua)

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
allow the udm to see the vlan.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did you create the vlan using the UDM?
There would be a firewall rule or traffic rule in there somewhere.

If the vlan is create by some other device you'll need to look at the configuration on there.

EDIT: maybe something like this...
  • Action: Allow
  • Source: <UDM Device>
  • Destination: Local Network
  • Select network: Camera VLAN
  • Traffic Direction: Source to Destination
  • Schedule: Always

Or it might need to be in both directions.

Last edited:

jpc-s4

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Will they let anyone into early access?
Good question. Not sure exactly, I just know that it allowed me. IIRC, I went into the app settings and it was offered as an option to me. I've had my UDM-P for a few years now, so maybe there is some minimum amount of time with an account that is required?

jpc-s4

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to let Protect see the cams that are on a separate VLAN on a UDM-Pro?
For me, it just worked. I have my main network on 10.x.x.x, with the cameras on 192.168.50.x. On the "Unifi Devices" page of Protect, you have to hit the help question mark in the upper right, and then you'll see this:

protect.JPG

Choose the "try advanced adoption". I typed in the IP address of each camera and it found them. For a couple, I hadn't set an ONVIF user/password, so it initially failed, but got it once I did that.

Dudleydogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For me, it just worked. I have my main network on 10.x.x.x, with the cameras on 192.168.50.x. On the "Unifi Devices" page of Protect, you have to hit the help question mark in the upper right, and then you'll see this:

View attachment 203422

Choose the "try advanced adoption". I typed in the IP address of each camera and it found them. For a couple, I hadn't set an ONVIF user/password, so it initially failed, but got it once I did that.
Known issue opened ticket with unifi yesterday, just they can't give me an answer on when it will be fixed. make sure all your devices have a specific "Onvif Login" configured

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No longer a rumor its there but does not work, if anyone has got it working with Unifi please reply back to me thanks
Working fine for me, though with out Onvif alerting from my AI cameras, its rather worthless. I did replace my standalone amcrest nvr with it though. Smart alerting is still handled by Frigate.

Dudleydogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Working fine for me, though with out Onvif alerting from my AI cameras, its rather worthless. I did replace my standalone amcrest nvr with it though. Smart alerting is still handled by Frigate.
so is it kind of a transition to get you to replace with unifi not a usable position? when I try to add Hikvision camera I get "invalid login" any tricks you may have done differently?

Reaction score
so is it kind of a transition to get you to replace with unifi not a usable position? when I try to add Hikvision camera I get "invalid login" any tricks you may have done differently?
there are separate list of ONVIF users, both on HIK & Dahua...
You must go to ONVIF users (not normal users) and add/setup proper user & password which You will use in Unifi Protect to login to Dahua / HIK cam..

Dudleydogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
there are separate list of ONVIF users, both on HIK & Dahua...
You must go to ONVIF users (not normal users) and add/setup proper user & password which You will use in Unifi Protect to login to Dahua / HIK cam..
yep did that still says "invalid Login" did you get any hik cameras to work maybe I'm still doing something wrong

Reaction score
yep did that still says "invalid Login" did you get any hik cameras to work maybe I'm still doing something wrong
there are hundreds reports of working HIK cams...

invalid Login is displayed with wrong ONVIF user&pass but also if there is simply connection problem between Unifi Protect and ONVIF cam...

Does HIK cam is in VLAN visible to Unifi Protect directly?
Or You try some manual adding over entering directly IP?

Dudleydogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

invalid Login is displayed with wrong ONVIF user&pass but also if there is simply connection problem between Unifi Protect and ONVIF cam...

Does HIK cam is in VLAN visible to Unifi Protect directly? NO manual adopt
Or You try some manual adding over entering directly IP? Correct this option
so in my case here my Cameras as on Vlan 20 and my console is vlan 1 but routed across the Vlans, I opened a ticket with unifi and they said they were aware of the problem that's why I came here to see if anyone didn't have the problem. I have to do the Manual Adopt option.

Dudleydogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Does HIK cam is in VLAN visible to Unifi Protect directly?
Or You try some manual adding over entering directly IP?
another thing I notice the Failure is Instant not like it tried to authenticate, just instant Fail.

Dudleydogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you allowed traffic between the vlans in both directions?
Are there any log entries that show the camera being blocked?
all the cameras communicate with vlan 1 because all my viewers are on vlan 1, I can ping the camera from the Unifi ssh console, The error is instantaneous. like its didn't even try to authenticate just instant "invalid credentials" ill put a camera on same vlan as uniif and see if anything kicks

Dudleydogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK i put a couple cameras on same vlan and sure enough the populated clicked adopt and failed till I enabled the username&token option. i have only 2 cameras that have that feature in onvif so I either need all new HIK LOL or switch to UI and be done with it.

Dudleydogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so i got the Hikvision camers to work but I realize there are no detections whatsoever its just constant record, is what also same for everyone?

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For now they only support Onvif S, so just recording. It guess it will take some time for Onvif T.

Dudleydogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
so for those who ran into my issue where I could not "Manually adopt" always failed, I put the cloudkey on same vlan as the cameras, meaning I lose all my other network gear, Ignore that adopt all the cameras, then change the IP back to original cloud key vlan and all the HIK cameras re connected and my network was also reconnected. there is some bug where you can't authenticate across vlans for some reason.