HUGE RUMOR: Unifi Protect will support ONVIF cameras (like from HIK/Dahua)

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I’ve got a Ubiquiti Dream Machine SE (UDM SE) running about 10 Amcrest 4K cameras (not sure of the exact model, but they were around $100 each). Unfortunately, the system couldn’t keep up with the load.

The UDM SE has a single drive configuration, so I’d recommend getting something with a larger cache or a large SSD-style disk if you’re thinking about a similar setup. But in my experience, the UDM SE just couldn’t handle the workload of all those 4K streams.

At this time, we are not moving forward with the Ubiquiti solution and will continue to use Blue Iris for our camera system.

I’m just sharing my experience so far with these products. Has anyone else had similar issues or found a solution?

Dudleydogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Funny Story, I put the cloud key on same vlan as all the hik cameras, it found them and adopted and Logged in, then I put cloud key back on original vlan and they all stayed connected.

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does the Ubiquiti system require a constant Internet connection to work or can it be set up and operated locally without any Internet connection?

Dudleydogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does the Ubiquiti system require a constant Internet connection to work or can it be set up and operated locally without any Internet connection?
you can access a cloud key or docker container running your controller locally. it just wont ever update and you would need local user/pass

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does Unifi Protect only use ONVIF cameras’ main stream? Any concept of/benefit from sub streams?

Since it’s not doing any analysis or event detection, then is Protect only decoding the stream when you’re viewing it live?

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
so is it kind of a transition to get you to replace with unifi not a usable position? when I try to add Hikvision camera I get "invalid login" any tricks you may have done differently?
You have to create a new onvif user or at least I did with a few of my amcrest cameras. The move is to get you into unifi but I think their main goal is to allow the enterprise to more easily move into unifi. I think they will be adding onvif alerting in future updates.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I’ve got a Ubiquiti Dream Machine SE (UDM SE) running about 10 Amcrest 4K cameras (not sure of the exact model, but they were around $100 each). Unfortunately, the system couldn’t keep up with the load.

The UDM SE has a single drive configuration, so I’d recommend getting something with a larger cache or a large SSD-style disk if you’re thinking about a similar setup. But in my experience, the UDM SE just couldn’t handle the workload of all those 4K streams.

At this time, we are not moving forward with the Ubiquiti solution and will continue to use Blue Iris for our camera system.

I’m just sharing my experience so far with these products. Has anyone else had similar issues or found a solution?
UDMs are do it all machines, they have specific devices if you need more power.