Huisun V2 pooped out...any hope?

twams

n3wb
Reaction score
I had it for about 3 months and was adjusting the setting from 50Hz to 60. Then it said it must reset. The camera then went through the reboot dance for about 4 or 5 times and lost connection. SADP does not recognize it. The tp link POE power light just flashes. i am getting 11.83 volts at the camera which is the same as i get near the POE. Any reset or damage control i can do??

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
These cameras are s**t!! The failure rate is a joke and I can see why Monica tuck the cash and ran. Fair play to her, she duped a lot of people. For the record I have one of these, it was purchased purely for research. And after a couple of weeks I came to the conclusion that they are on a par to Foscam! From my findings poor focus (in different parts of the image) and PTZ presets were never constant to name a few. I may be lucky as mine, with all these faults still functions 12.2 months old. It's currently still up and is used for IR for one of my 3mp Hikvisions....Once another one of my 2mp starlight arrives it will be taken down and gifted to a friend who will use it to watch some birds nesting in his garden. Huisun = terrible camera and terrible support!!!

twams

n3wb
Reaction score
I put this on 20' up in a tree near the road. It was great to have the PTZ to get it adjusted. Would that that 2mp starlight a good replacement? I would like to be able to get tags too.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

vasycara

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My huisun v2 died three times, and three times was restored with the help @alastairstevenson .
Ip cam image this is great day and night, the sensor is very good, but true, ip cam huisun is not reliable., dead at hot or cold, or when she wants.
I have another ip huisun v1, who died after a firmware, and is dead now.
Monica took the money and ..

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Any CPR i can do....I
Yes, but it's a bit fiddly, as unlike Hikvision products the 'serial console connection' isn't a handy dandy connector you can just plug in to, but a couple of pads on the PCB that you need to solder wires to.
However - if you can hook up a Serial TTL to USB convertor, the serial console and the Amboot bootloader provide lots of info and fixup capabilities.
The serial console provides info on the problem that's inhibiting the full boot - and Amboot has enough extras to figure out a fixup plan.
From what I've seen - and I'm guessing a bit - the weakness may be a combination of an rw filesystem and a power supply that doesn't provide a conservative enough shutdown / reset / suspend operations trigger when outside optimal conditions for the electronics.

In @vasycara recent problem, the 'dtb' (Device Tree Block) and flash partition info were erased, cause unknown, so no hardware or flash info was provided to the embedded Linux, so it could not boot.
But Amboot doesn't need that entire detail, and with a slightly sneaky trick (for the Linux techies, dtb and ptb reside in the same flash segment as Amboot environment variables, so doing a 'tftp program' load of a ptb image to the right RAM area, then a dummy 'setenv' to write the flash segment, restored dtb and ptb from a saved version) the device was revived.

It's a pity about the reliability issues, because it's quite an innovative and very functional design, with actually a very good image quality, at a low cost.
I'd like to think that Huisun are carefully studying field problems and figuring out and designing out the root causes to offer an improved product going forward.
The electronics build quality is actually very good, and the firmware is quite sophisticated (I've had a look around inside, and am familiar in some detail with others), more so than the rather pedestrian Hikvision efforts.

twams

n3wb
Reaction score
Not a quick fix, but not a boat anchor. I will pull it out of the tree tomorrow. Thanks alastairstevenson

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
With all the "bad press" for this camera on this site, I'm curious to know if ANYONE on this forum who has purchased one of these has one that worked for more than a year or two with no issues or that has not crapped out yet.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With all the "bad press" for this camera on this site, I'm curious to know if ANYONE on this forum who has purchased one of these has one that worked for more than a year or two with no issues or that has not crapped out yet.

I have a Huisun V1 for about 14 months now and no major issues, Also have 2 4x Huisun they are aboiut 4 to 5 months old and no issues, I also have a Sunba and no issues either, the V1 and the Sunba disconnected a few times during the 100+ weather, but they still up and running, I never updated the software on any of these cameras.
Regards.
Chewie

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Huisun V1 for about 14 months now and no major issues, Also have 2 4x Huisun they are aboiut 4 to 5 months old and no issues, I also have a Sunba and no issues either, the V1 and the Sunba disconnected a few times during the 100+ weather, but they still up and running, I never updated the software on any of these cameras.
Regards.
Chewie
A camera that disconnects is worthless....You got lucky with the others....They will likely soon die as well...

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A camera that disconnects is worthless....You got lucky with the others....They will likely soon die as well...
I had some hik cameras and they also disconnected here and there, I guess they are all worthless.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had some hik cameras and they also disconnected here and there, I guess they are all worthless.
Yes they are...I would check your installation....Too bad you bought Chinese region cams so you have no warranty or firmware upgrade ability... Live and lean...

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score

I have 3 of these cameras. 2 of the cameras are in their 14 month of operation. The POE on 1 of these cameras failed last month, but the camera is still working with a passive POE splitter and an external 12 Volt power adapter.