I am looking for an IP camera that can be triggered by sound / audio detection

Apex20

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello to everyone, very informative community here. I am looking for an IP camera that can be triggered to record video and sound based on sound level (decibel level?). I came across this thread from April last year. Looking for recommendations on camera that can activate recording based on sound leve Are there any new options to choose from ? This was mentioned : All 3 of my recent Dahua's can do this, either to local SD, via FTP, or on a Dahua NVR.. heck the Mini black face Dahua has this feature and its lacking all the other IVS features.. it's microphone is internal, the others use external mic's but im sure they have some w/internal mic's

I've found it works very well, im pretty happy with it.. I think all modern Dahua's with audio input have this feature, so anything 4MP I would expect to have it. :: Does anybody have a link or model number to match any of these Dahua camera’s ? Thanks much.

Apex20

n3wb
Reaction score
Forgot to mention : I Need an outdoor camera that can activate recording based on sound. Any suggestions are welcome. $100 - $300.00 : Only need 1 camera right now Thanks

Apex20

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. Any other candidates out there? I’m running into a lot of the Hikvision brand, any of those fit the bill?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looney2ns this does look like a nice option : If I don’t want to disassemble the camera to get at the sd card won’t I need a dvr of some kind to record videos ?
IPC-HDW5231R-Z : I found this thread thanks Dense persons guide to the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z
You only install the SD once, then you retrieve any recordings from it, via the web interface of the camera or SmartPSS.
Or you can use SmartPSS setup as an NVR.
You don't have to open the cam to retrieve recordings.

Apex20

n3wb
Reaction score
Cool. Correct me if I’m wrong then (I probably am) it sounds like the NVR isn’t necessary? Just install a SD card in the camera you recommended / cat 5 cable / into a powered POE switch / out to my router / to my PC ? Recording with the Dahua software or smartPSS Correctamundo ?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cool. Correct me if I’m wrong then (I probably am) it sounds like the NVR isn’t necessary? Just install a SD card in the camera you recommended / cat 5 cable / into a powered POE switch / out to my router / to my PC ? Recording with the Dahua software or smartPSS Correctamundo ?
Yes, for a basic setup.