Looking for recommendations on camera that can activate recording based on sound leve

radu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a fairly specific use case.
I am looking for an IP camera (wireless preferred) that can be triggered to record video and sound based on sound level (decibel level?).
Are there any such solutions? Camera or software?

Thank you,
Radu

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Looking for recommendations on camera that can activate recording based on sound

Hello everyone,

I have a fairly specific use case.
I am looking for an IP camera (wireless preferred) that can be triggered to record video and sound based on sound level (decibel level?).
Are there any such solutions? Camera or software?

Thank you,
Radu
Blue iris can do this with any ip camera that has audio..

Mel42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Re: Looking for recommendations on camera that can activate recording based on sound

My Hikvision box cam (DS2CD4024FWD) will record based on sound level input, also has excellent sound quality, Pretty sure most all smart series Hikvision cams now will record based on sound level input.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score

Axis P33 series will trigger on SPL as well.

radu

n3wb
Reaction score

Any other recommendations for cameras that can can trigger on sound?
Use case is a front porch (outside, covered). I want it to trigger on both movement up and down the stairs and on noise (neighbor deciding it is fine to put music at full blast at 10 pm).

radu

n3wb
Reaction score

My Hikvision box cam (DS2CD4024FWD) will record based on sound level input, also has excellent sound quality, Pretty sure most all smart series Hikvision cams now will record based on sound level input.
Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately this seems to be an $1100 camera, which is a bit outside my current budged. Anything in the $2-300 range?

- - - Updated - - -

Axis P33 series will trigger on SPL as well.
These seem to require purchase of an external microphone, unless I am looking at the wrong model. Do you mind linking me to model you had in mind?

Thanks.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

All 3 of my recent Dahua's can do this, either to local SD, via FTP, or on a Dahua NVR.. heck the Mini black face Dahua has this feature and its lacking all the other IVS features.. it's microphone is internal, the others use external mic's but im sure they have some w/internal mic's

I've found it works very well, im pretty happy with it.. I think all modern Dahua's with audio input have this feature, so anything 4MP I would expect to have it.

Recording over wireless is not reliable, I would urge you to run a wire and forget about WiFi if you are recording externally. (ie, not to local SD)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score

The P33 does require an additional mic. That is a bit inconvenient but also doesn't restrict you to one so-so built-in mic.

radu

n3wb
Reaction score

All 3 of my recent Dahua's can do this, either to local SD, via FTP, or on a Dahua NVR.. heck the Mini black face Dahua has this feature and its lacking all the other IVS features.. it's microphone is internal, the others use external mic's but im sure they have some w/internal mic's

I've found it works very well, im pretty happy with it.. I think all modern Dahua's with audio input have this feature, so anything 4MP I would expect to have it.

Recording over wireless is not reliable, I would urge you to run a wire and forget about WiFi if you are recording externally. (ie, not to local SD)
Thanks for the recommendation nayr. The Mini black face Dahua seems to be just about right for what I need.
I see that there are both wired and wireless options for it. Will give the wireless a try and if I run into issues will run the wire. I have not had any issues with the old Foscam over wifi.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I am not sure but looking at the specs I do not think the Wireless version includes PoE

radu

n3wb
Reaction score

I am not sure but looking at the specs I do not think the Wireless version includes PoE
That seems to be true. I don't have PoE switch or router, so running power was going to happen anyway.