I did a boo boo to a sketchy DS-2CD3132-IW from amazon.

TonyG

n3wb
Reaction score
Got this DS-2cd3132 in English from amazon and got it up and running. It was somewhat buggy, and in trying to find firmware I realized it was gray market. I then put some firmware on it anyway, like an idiot. I wish I knew what firmware I used, but I don't. After that it worked better but had the language mismatch error. I lived with that for a while, and then a few days ago, like an idiot, I tried to fix it.

I used a TFTP 5.3 to 5.2.5 downgrader, without knowing if that was really a good idea. Then I tried all sorts of firmwares including the one off the sticker (5.3.0, 150513 6/2015) in CN and Eng. Long story shortish, sometimes I get a TFTP success (some firmwares hang at file complete), but I never get more than seeing the camera in SADP. No login, or anything else. Tried using the reset button a lot too.

Does anyone have a suggestion? This is what SADP looks like now.

(Dropbox - Screenshot 2017-02-11 20.44.20.png)

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How long ago did you buy it? If they marketed it as international but it's not just get a refund?

TonyG

n3wb
Reaction score
Tried, even complained to amazon. They are still for sale, currently out of stock. Amazon doesnt care.

TonyG

n3wb
Reaction score
Ill probably buy one next time they have them and return this one as it, immediately. Still looking for technical advise?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion? This is what SADP looks like now.
The '4.0.8' in the SADP firmware version is an indication that the camera is in the 'min-system recovery mode'.
This is a basic system with no web services that's used when incompatible firmware has been loaded.
I used a TFTP 5.3 to 5.2.5 downgrader
I'd have expected this to get the camera back into a working state.
It may be that the camera is objecting to the language of the firmware header.
If so, you could experiment with switching the language with Hiktools from here : Hikvision FIRMWARE TOOLS - change language, extract files and create own firmware
eg
- At this point it is possible to simply change the ‘Language flag’ by executing the following command, using ‘1’ for English or Multi, and ‘2’ for Chinese device. If you want flash english firmware to chinese IPC or NVR you need set language to 2:
hiktools lang digicap.dav 2

TonyG

n3wb
Reaction score
Shut up Q. I love you, Alastair.

Downgrader 4 lines was lang 2 CN. Made 1. Hung after file xfer.

Downgrader no 4 lines was 2, made 1, fixed camera.

So, now that we know my CN camera takes eng firmware I have a couple of questions. Can I get it back to being a straight up CN camera so that I can use the latest firmware from china?

If not, is this 5.2.5 the firmware I should be using or is there an option for going newer? Thanks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Shut up Q. I love you, Alastair.
Steady on, this is a public forum ... lets continue this via PM so only the admins can listen in.
If you updated OK with lang=1 this suggests the camera is EN region. Not what you expected. What's the serial number? Or the language= in a prtHardInfo at an SSH prompt (needs to be enabled)?
If so - there is a rich choice here: DOWNLOAD PORTAL
But beware - 5.3.0 and certainly 5.4.0 claims to not be able to roll back versions.

TonyG

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera has a CH in the serial number. This model #3132 only shows up on Hikvision China, and the latest firmware there is the firmware version on the sticker (5.3.0 150513). I remember now why I went down this path in the first place. The web interface hardly ever loads with 5.2.5. Have to reboot until I get lucky.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
whenever an adult uses "boo boo" in a sentence and they aren't talking to a 3 yr old it's pretty clear they need to spend more time around adults.

TonyG

n3wb
Reaction score
I was trying to be lighthearted. Here's why. I am not really an idiot, I am a programmer and have worked with consumer ip cams more than anyone I know. Im not a security professional. I had no idea I was buying a "gray" device, or any knowledge of Hikvision, or that HV only sells to authorized installers, etc. In researching my problem it was clear that I was not the first to screw up a camera, and definitely not the first to ask for help, so I wanted to be lighthearted about it.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no worries, but I have known some people who struggle to get out of the head space of treating everyone like they're a toddler.

in the future, always save every firmware file you have for a device and keep a log of what you put on the device and issues that resulted.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tried, even complained to amazon. They are still for sale, currently out of stock. Amazon doesnt care.
I don't understand, you just go to your orders page, click "Return Product" and select the "not as described" option. It spits out a label and you get a refund.