I don't believe I ever introduced myself...

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After looking and pondering and wishing and lurking here on ipcamtalk for a couple of years, I've finally pulled the trigger and started to purchase items for our camera system.

I purchased an HP Prodesk 600 G2 SFF, i5-6500 with 8GB RAM and a 500GB hard drive to be the heart of our system. I have an older 120GB SSD that is currently collecting dust. I'm pondering installing that as a system/app drive, then saving all video/clips/exports to the hard drive.

I'm also planning to order a Linksys LGS116p POE+ switch to drive my outdoor cameras, unless someone has a better switch to recommend. I'm definitely open to suggestions. It's a 16 port switch but only 8 are POE capable, but I think that will cover me. If I put a camera over each personnel door and one over the garage door I'm only up to four. I can't see installing a whole lot more than that.

I purchased Blue Iris 5 last night.

Now I need to pickup at least a couple of cameras to start with. I'm looking for suggestions for an indoor and outdoor cameras. For the indoor, I'm considering a Hivision DS-2CD2435FWD-I(W), or something similar. I've seen a lot of people suggesting bullets and turrets to others for use as indoor cameras, but those don't really seem to be the best for this use, at least for us. I'm planning to have this indoor camera sitting on the built-in cabinets in our great room, pointing back into the great room and kitchen/dining area. It will also cover both rear entrances, as well as both entrances from our garage from this position. I'm open to suggestions if someone has a better camera or style to suggest for this use.

Initially I'm looking to install a turret to cover the front porch/entrance and another over our garage door, pointing down the driveway, and am looking for suggestions for these positions. All I know is that I would like a turret style camera. From what I've read, I think I'd like to stick to a 2MP Startlight camera, so I guess that limits me to Dahua. Again, I'm open to all suggestions.

Any suggestions, so that I can get my first two or three cameras ordered, would be most appreciated. I'm certain I'll add more later.

Thanks to everyone for any comments and suggestions.

- Byron

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an older 120GB SSD that is currently collecting dust. I'm pondering installing that as a system/app drive, then saving all video/clips/exports to the hard drive.
Use it if you've got it! :) That is big enough for OS + BI + clip database, certainly.

I had a bit of trouble finding the PoE power budget for that switch and it is only 80 watts which means an average of 10 watts per port. This isn't very high for an 8 port PoE+ switch, but I guess this is the price you pay to get a slim/compact one. It should still work fine as long as you don't go overboard on PTZ cams or something. Most fixed cams use 3-6 watts.

Hikvision does have comparable (to Dahua) low-light cameras. I just couldn't tell you their model numbers.

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, there's still a lot to learn, even after lurking here for a couple of years. Somehow I missed all of the pdfs in the "Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs" thread. I'm going to go back and read through those before I purchase anything. I also need to get some camera placement advice for my porches. Above the garage door, down the driveway and great room positioning are pretty much no brainers, but porch/door placement is a whole different ballgame.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From what I've read, I think I'd like to stick to a 2MP Startlight camera, so I guess that limits me to Dahua. Again, I'm open to all suggestions.
Like @bp2008 mentioned, Hikvision makes some similar cameras, so you’re not limited to Dahua. Ubiquity is the only manufacturer I’ve seen use the image sensors that make these low-light cameras, so that sort of limits it to those three manufacturers.

I think Dahua is more popular here because there’s a very reliable forum vendor here who resells Dahua OEM at good prices... it’s almost always easy and quick to order from him.

If you’re interested in Dahua turrets, these two are the most popular:
5231 varifocal turret
Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

2231 varifocal turret
Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal

This mini-dome wedge is popular by doors/on porches
Front door ID camera IPC-HDBW4231F?

And if you haven’t already seen it, check out the Cliff Notes document, preferably from a computer.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Ubiquity is the only manufacturer I’ve seen use the image sensors that make these low-light cameras, so that sort of limits it to those three manufacturers.
I've only seen IMX290 or '1/3 inch' sensors mentioned for Ubiquiti cameras. These are not ultra-low-light.
What sensors have you seen for the Dahua and Hikvision ultra-low-light models?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've only seen IMX290 or '1/3 inch' sensors mentioned for Ubiquiti cameras. These are not ultra-low-light.
OK, I'm confused then. I seen a few reviews by wopi82 where he mentioned the Starlights using the IMX290 and a few other posts stating that the IMX290/IMX291 performed the same. Not the case?