I have a kinda odd question

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was signing up today for a health club membership. They insisted that I need to have a picture on file with them. I said no, they didn't need that information. The guy that I was talking to said they didn't really use it for anything but it was company policy. I am really not happy when they they ask for unnecessary information of any kind that goes into a database. I usually don't provide it. I walked out.

Question: Am I being unreasonable? He said they don't use it for ID, because they issue a bar code key for entry. With the facial recognition software that is becoming available that is almost like a fingerprint. All it takes is an IT guy to sell the database on the dark web. You have to be a little paranoid, am I too paranoid? Any thoughts? Don't hold back. No, I am not in witness protection.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is typical of most gyms.... They don't want you using someone else's card.... I understand they say they don't use it to verify your identity but ultimately if they suspect you're using someone else's card they might double check....
If someone wanted your picture they could just walk up to you in public and take it... I bet you if they scanned it on one of the AI websites they would find you pretty easily....

Now if you can find a health club that doesn't require it for the same price and the same amenities I guess that would be a better choice for you but don't let that stop you from working out. You'll be dead with a secure identity.

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My eye doctor recently installed a brand spanking new sign in system. If you haven't previously used it, you get to insert your social security card, your driver license, your Medicare card, and your supplemental insurance company card. Plus you get to answer intrusive questions having nothing to do with your eyes. Oh, and are you maybe interested in Botox?

Supply the information and answer the questions . . . or go blind. What a choice.

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is totally unnecessary. I would not go there. There are hundreds of other eye doctors around.
Yeah, I know. But I've been going to the same ophthalmologist since 2004 and they have all the pictures, test results, what eye medications work and don't work, etc. and I just don't want to start over with someone else.

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Still don't want to give them with information that they don't really need on general principles. If they want to check my ID, I will show them my drivers license. After seeing all the data theft I am a little nervous. It happened in two major hospitals in Seattle recently. One was a regional cancer center. The thieves started exploiting the information immediately from the sick patients. Thieves prey on the weak. Not sure what can done with your picture but I just don't like it. Once against thanks for the responses. Needed to bounce the question off someone.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Still don't want to give them with information that they don't really need on general principles. If they want to check my ID, I will show them my drivers license. After seeing all the data theft I am a little nervous. It happened in two major hospitals in Seattle recently. One was a regional cancer center. The thieves started exploiting the information immediately from the sick patients. Thieves prey on the weak. Not sure what can done with your picture but I just don't like it. Once against thanks for the responses. Needed to bounce the question off someone.
Gone are the days of relative privacy ..