I have a network/PoE mystery on my hands

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Maybe try switching cables between the keystones at dmarc to ensure which part of the run is bad.

Like @SpacemanSpiff mentioned it could be that the camera is powered but there is a break in RX/TX.

POE wiki, check the pinout part
I did test switching cables at the Dmarc and cable 2 is still bad.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
it may depend on the quality of the cable tester. Most cheap under $50 cable tester check for continuity, but do not run frequency data up and back. You can have cracks in the cable that will pass a continuity check but not a data check. Replace the cable or rent a high quality tester.

What is the manufacture and part number of the long cable run ?
I used trueCABLE Cat6 Direct Burial, Waterproof, Outdoor Rated CMX, 23AWG Solid Bare Copper, 550MHz, ETL Listed, Unshielded UTP

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Would measuring the resistance between pairs prove anything? I remember when I had my cables installed, on the longest runs the installer twisted the pairs together at one end then measured the resistance of the pairs at the other end.

WimNL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had something simelar with my Dahua intercom and unify Poe switch. They can be very picky (good translation? I'm Dutch)...
Even with the Unify flex Poe I had problems.... When I placed a simple Dahua Poe switch everything was working!!
My experince so far: the simple Dahua Poe switch eats (feeds) everything and the Unify's are in soms cases to "smart".... And the dahua has 8 ports and the flex 4 and that for more than half the price...
My advice: try a simple (unmanged) Poe switch ;)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
have you checked/swapped any of the Patch cables in the questionable run?

Just another thing to check ( maybe you have)
I've had a couple bad new patch cables once in a Blue Moon back in my cable pulling days.
I would really like the clean look of the patch panels and keystone jacks, But when I run to the edge of the cat5e 100Meter limit, I try to avoid patch panels and keystones and go straight from Cam to POE switch. (homerun) I won't win any beauty contests in my Rack, but it works.
( I know it doesnt follow low voltage code) but I'm not running Cardiac data through a hospital network anymore, so fk it.....
It's not pretty, but I eliminate a lot of components to troubleshoot. My building is shaped like a Y and the Rack is almost in the middle of the Y. footage for the PTZ ( 802.3at) camera is about 200 ft. I have 2 runs that are 238-240 feet. running a 5241 z12 and a 5442 As LED.
I only had to re-terminate 1 end, (had my blue/white and green/white crossed :facepalm:)

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
How did you pull that 280ft? All at once or did you have pull boxes at intervals?
If you pulled it all at once, you could have possibly damaged the cable.
Double check your POE switch configuration before you go too far.
There are two sweep 90s at each end. From the dmarc, I have a pull box around 40'. From there it's a straight shot to the mailbox. I checked the POE switch and the ports are set correctly for POE+.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I had something simelar with my Dahua intercom and unify Poe switch. They can be very picky (good translation? I'm Dutch)...
Even with the Unify flex Poe I had problems.... When I placed a simple Dahua Poe switch everything was working!!
My experince so far: the simple Dahua Poe switch eats (feeds) everything and the Unify's are in soms cases to "smart".... And the dahua has 8 ports and the flex 4 and that for more than half the price...
My advice: try a simple (unmanged) Poe switch ;)
I have an unmanaged POE switch that I run all of my IR illuminators on. I'm not sure if I daisy-chain it to my POE switch and then patch the long runs to that switch will they be on my LAN? I know they won't be in my Unifi Controller console, but if they'll be on the network, I'll give that a try!

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
have you checked/swapped any of the Patch cables in the questionable run?

Just another thing to check ( maybe you have)
I've had a couple bad new patch cables once in a Blue Moon back in my cable pulling days.
I would really like the clean look of the patch panels and keystone jacks, But when I run to the edge of the cat5e 100Meter limit, I try to avoid patch panels and keystones and go straight from Cam to POE switch. (homerun) I won't win any beauty contests in my Rack, but it works.
( I know it doesnt follow low voltage code) but I'm not running Cardiac data through a hospital network anymore, so fk it.....
It's not pretty, but I eliminate a lot of components to troubleshoot. My building is shaped like a Y and the Rack is almost in the middle of the Y. footage for the PTZ ( 802.3at) camera is about 200 ft. I have 2 runs that are 238-240 feet. running a 5241 z12 and a 5442 As LED.
I only had to re-terminate 1 end, (had my blue/white and green/white crossed :facepalm:)
I did try new patch cables and it didn't change anything.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I remember this one guy on our crew who was a former telephone co worker.....( showed me a thing or two) who, when I'd pull cable, (Like 4-5 boxes of Cat5e together) and get hung up, I'd stop to go check it out, and he'd get up the ladder and really rip on it. I mean like Jesus H Christ in a Chicken basket..."reef on it". I was like Dude theres no way all those pairs are gonna test out. "He's say you wanna bet lunch?"
I bought a couple lunches...

WimNL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had set everything correct in the switch / controller and it should work, but it didn't...
Try it with your unmanged Poe switch and connect that straight on the Unifi switch. The camera's will show up in your controller dashboard if it is working.
For cables that are very important of when it is a lot of work to olace I now use Cat6 sftp with precrimped jack. Cost a bit more, but always working;)

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well, I have an update on my situation. I'm pretty sure I found the problem and once I checked the run with the cable tester from my office, it showed me that run was 427'. I completely miss calculated the length of this run!

Since I don't have power at the dmarc for a switch, I'm going to need to find some sort of passive in-line extender to help possibly fix things. The cable that is working is the same distance, I have no idea how it's working!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow that is a big difference in run from what you thought to what it actually is.

It's reasons like this when someone says "I want to be able to capture a good face image at about 30 feet away" and I am like our "about 30 feet" is usually actually 60 feet LOL and that makes a big difference in the camera selection.

But wow that is a big run for one of them to work!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I have an update on my situation. I'm pretty sure I found the problem and once I checked the run with the cable tester from my office, it showed me that run was 427'. I completely miss calculated the length of this run!

Since I don't have power at the dmarc for a switch, I'm going to need to find some sort of passive in-line extender to help possibly fix things. The cable that is working is the same distance, I have no idea how it's working!
Search extended Poe switch

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Wow that is a big difference in run from what you thought to what it actually is.

It's reasons like this when someone says "I want to be able to capture a good face image at about 30 feet away" and I am like our "about 30 feet" is usually actually 60 feet LOL and that makes a big difference in the camera selection.

But wow that is a big run for one of them to work!
One of them works but running a constant ping shows me that it drops and reconnects frequently. I'm ordering a couple of these.

Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 3.52.14 PM.png

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just as a test I took an old TP-Link switch out to the dmarc and used an extension cord to power it. Both cameras are now stable and <1ms ping times from the BI PC. I'm glad the cables seem to be okay.