I made a better remote-live-view page [OLD]

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I was having a problem where selecting alerts for viewing was sometimes crashing BI. I think I resolved this by doing the repair/regenerate operation on the clip database, but now I have a new issue viewing alerts on one of my cameras.

The camera in question is set for continuous recording, file splitting every hour, and with alerts marked based on the camera's DIO trigger. All of the alerts show up in UI2, but selecting any of them only makes the clip play from the top of the hour. Selecting an alert from 1:10AM just plays the clip from 1:00AM. This is true for all of the alerts on this camera.

Using the native BI client on the server works fine for viewing and navigating between alerts.
I don't run any cameras this way (continuous recording plus alerts). Can anyone else verify the same behavior?

patja

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I guess I didn't resolve the problems with BI crashing when viewing alerts through UI2. I am still getting them. After viewing a couple of alerts via UI2, BI goes non-responsive and I get a Windows Event 1000, Application Error:

Faulting application name: BlueIris.exe, version: 4.3.1.0, time stamp: 0x57053733
Faulting module name: BlueIris.exe, version: 4.3.1.0, time stamp: 0x57053733
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000ac3c29
Faulting process id: 0x9e0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d19364d087c8df
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\BlueIris.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\BlueIris.exe
Report Id: d0e7eab6-b8f3-45dd-93a0-53d74aa3edf6
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

The BI process on the server never dies and it does eventually come back to life after a few minutes.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I guess I didn't resolve the problems with BI crashing when viewing alerts through UI2. I am still getting them. After viewing a couple of alerts via UI2, BI goes non-responsive and I get a Windows Event 1000, Application Error:

Faulting application name: BlueIris.exe, version: 4.3.1.0, time stamp: 0x57053733
Faulting module name: BlueIris.exe, version: 4.3.1.0, time stamp: 0x57053733
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000ac3c29
Faulting process id: 0x9e0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d19364d087c8df
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\BlueIris.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\BlueIris.exe
Report Id: d0e7eab6-b8f3-45dd-93a0-53d74aa3edf6
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

The BI process on the server never dies and it does eventually come back to life after a few minutes.
Are you running out of CPU or memory on the Blue Iris server?

patja

n3wb
Reaction score
No. Memory never gets over about 65% utilization. CPU is generally 50 - 80%.

I can make it crash at will. Just need to view 4 - 6 alerts in UI2.

Here's an image showing what task manager looks like when UI2 crashes BI. CPU trucking along like normal and then it drops out to nothing. At the same time network usage drops off, and disk goes up as memory dumps are collected for windows error reporting.

crash.png

Jaceon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ui2error.png
I don't run any cameras this way (continuous recording plus alerts). Can anyone else verify the same behavior?
I have a camera like this... Went click crazy on alerts and clips via UI2 AND...... no crashes here. Alerts start and stop as expected.

edit:
Then again I had something happen....

While playing clips and then speed scrolling down the list fast... Got this message. and then UI2 reloaded

5 times so far... seems to happen when scrolling fast through clips.. sometimes the clips change to loading... and then sometimes it goes to that message but not always. edge browser.. remote session with in the same intranet.

I actually have never had this happen before but have also never tested it this way before, so I'm no help there.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 9802

I have a camera like this... Went click crazy on alerts and clips via UI2 AND...... no crashes here. Alerts start and stop as expected.

edit:
Then again I had something happen....

While playing clips and then speed scrolling down the list fast... Got this message. and then UI2 reloaded

5 times so far... seems to happen when scrolling fast through clips.. sometimes the clips change to loading... and then sometimes it goes to that message but not always. edge browser.. remote session with in the same intranet.

I actually have never had this happen before but have also never tested it this way before, so I'm no help there.
By "speed scrolling", do you mean holding down an arrow key or do you mean actually just scrolling?

If you hold down an arrow key, it actually tries to load each clip or alert only to cancel it a small fraction of a second later. This does seem to have a moderate effect on Blue Iris CPU usage and UI2 responsiveness. Likely Blue Iris is still trying to fulfill all the requests for frames from each of the clips, and won't respond to new requests until the old ones finish. Scrolling without rapidly selecting new clips should not have anything like this kind of effect.

The "session may have expired" message only happens when the server sends back an explicit "fail" message for the "status" command. To my knowledge, "fail" only happens when Blue Iris does not recognize the session key sent by UI2 as belonging to an active session. So it stands to reason that your Blue Iris may be crashing (and quickly re-initializing itself) to cause this. Can you confirm? If Blue Iris crashes, you should be able to find a log of it in Windows Event Viewer:

or in Blue Iris' own log, because Blue Iris creates a "Started" log entry whenever it starts.

Jaceon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
By speed scrolling I just meant scrolling fast with my finger on the mouse wheel. Nothing more. Looking back at the logs,besides today, I only had that error occur once in December and once in January. But again, I've never tested it like this before. If I have lots of clips to check I just rdp to the main server. It would appear what your saying is right on though :)
syslogconf.png

patja

n3wb
Reaction score
You should report this to Ken, the developer, Patja.
I have sent multiple support request emails regarding this issue with no response yet.

It is interesting to note that so far, try as I might, I cannot reproduce the problem using the regular BI web client. I can click on any alerts over and over and they all load flawlessly through the regular BI web client.

After about 4 alerts are viewed in UI2, boom, BI crashes.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is interesting to note that so far, try as I might, I cannot reproduce the problem using the regular BI web client. I can click on any alerts over and over and they all load flawlessly through the regular BI web client.

After about 4 alerts are viewed in UI2, boom, BI crashes.
By "regular BI web client" which page are you talking about? default.htm? jpegpull.htm? jpegpull.htm should be operating in more or less the same way as UI2 and should result in the same crash. default.htm is quite different however.

Rice

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I run 6 cameras like this and I too have been able to get BI to crash at will, though I've only proven it using the iPhone app, I've not tried it using UI2...

The way I have seen it happen is if an alert appears in the list and you click it to watch it as it is still being triggered / recording, BI will fall over and restart.

I've emailed Ken about this some time ago, and to be honest, now that I know what causes it to crash I avoid doing it! So not too sure if it is still an issue, I will have to have a play and try it.

rice

patja

n3wb
Reaction score
By "regular BI web client" which page are you talking about? default.htm? jpegpull.htm? jpegpull.htm should be operating in more or less the same way as UI2 and should result in the same crash. default.htm is quite different however.
it is jpegpull.htm that works flawlessly

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I run 6 cameras like this and I too have been able to get BI to crash at will, though I've only proven it using the iPhone app, I've not tried it using UI2...

The way I have seen it happen is if an alert appears in the list and you click it to watch it as it is still being triggered / recording, BI will fall over and restart.

I've emailed Ken about this some time ago, and to be honest, now that I know what causes it to crash I avoid doing it! So not too sure if it is still an issue, I will have to have a play and try it.

rice
Interesting. I do not have this problem. Are you recording to .bvr (Blue Iris DVR) format? Only this format is supposed to allow playback of videos that are still recording.

it is jpegpull.htm that works flawlessly
Ok I have 3 suggestions

1) Try unchecking the box for Clip preview animation enabled in UI2 Settings > UI Behavior. This setting is near the bottom.

2) If 1) fails to solve the problem, try jpegpull2.htm. This page is a slightly enhanced version of jpegpull and if it exhibits the crashing behavior then it might help narrow down the root cause.

3) Upload screenshots of your Record and Video format settings dialogs in Blue Iris. E.g. these:

patja

n3wb
Reaction score
I am using bvr files. This is not a case of a problem displaying clips/alerts while still being recorded

I think that the suggestion of disabling "Clip preview animation enabled" may have fixed it. Since unchecking this I haven't been able to make it crash. Re-checking it allows me to crash BI again by clicking around a half dozen alerts.

I took a look at the network requests. There are a couple of resources that come back with a 404 error and I don't see them in the zip file. I don't know if they are related to this issue or if they are supposed to be dynamically generated on the fly, but they aren't being served. ui2-local-overrides.js and ui2-local-overrides.css

devtools.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I am using bvr files. This is not a case of a problem displaying clips/alerts while still being recorded

I think that the suggestion of disabling "Clip preview animation enabled" may have fixed it. Since unchecking this I haven't been able to make it crash. Re-checking it allows me to crash BI again by clicking around a half dozen alerts.

I took a look at the network requests. There are a couple of resources that come back with a 404 error and I don't see them in the zip file. I don't know if they are related to this issue or if they are supposed to be dynamically generated on the fly, but they aren't being served. ui2-local-overrides.js and ui2-local-overrides.css

View attachment 9806
Ok. I suspect you are just running up into the limits of CPU usage with Blue Iris. The clip preview thing is basically a clip player all its own as far as Blue Iris is concerned. By turning it off, you no longer try to load tons of different clips as you mouse over them.

The -overrides files are something you can create (or not) yourself to modify UI2 behavior with your own styles and scripts. It is perfectly normal and not a problem that you get a 404 error trying to load them.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The -overrides files are something you can create (or not) yourself to modify UI2 behavior with your own styles and scripts. It is perfectly normal and not a problem that you get a 404 error trying to load them.
For example, try creating "ui2-local-overrides.css" and paste this in it:

Code:
@keyframes flashingColors
{
	0%   { background-color: #FF0000; }
	17%  { background-color: #FFFF00; }
	34%  { background-color: #00FF00; }
	50%  { background-color: #00FFFF; }
	67%  { background-color: #0000FF; }
	84%  { background-color: #FF00FF; }
	100% { background-color: #FF0000; }
}

div, img
{
	animation: flashingColors 3s linear 0s infinite;
}

patja

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok. I suspect you are just running up into the limits of CPU usage with Blue Iris. The clip preview thing is basically a clip player all its own as far as Blue Iris is concerned. By turning it off, you no longer try to load tons of different clips as you mouse over them.
None of my resources (CPU, disk, network, memory) are anywhere near fully utilized when this happens. I posted a screenshot of task manager from the server a few posts up.

I'm good with the solution of disabling the clip preview. It was a little distracting anyways. Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
None of my resources (CPU, disk, network, memory) are anywhere near fully utilized when this happens. I posted a screenshot of task manager from the server a few posts up.

I'm good with the solution of disabling the clip preview. It was a little distracting anyways. Thanks!
Right. Looking at that again, your CPU is no slouch and I am sure it isn't overloaded. I'm running the same BI version (unless yours is 32 bit?) and simply can't make mine crash though. So strange. It is may be something to do with trying to play two clips at once. One clip in the main area, and another in the thumbnail part of the clip list. If this theory holds true, you should be able to make BI crash by opening multiple copies of jpegpull.htm (in the same browser, so they definitely share a session), and make each copy play a different clip. Then you'd have something you could tell Ken (the Blue Iris developer) about at least.

Reaction score
I applied the latest update to BI today and also updated the UI2. Now I am unable to view cameras under "All Cameras". "Cycle All Cameras" works fine. Also I cannot view individual cameras. There is only a blank black screen (the clips side bar shows as normal). Has anyone else had this issue and know how to fix it?