I made a better remote-live-view page [OLD]

jejosephso

n3wb
Reaction score
No video. Title bar only, since upgrading to 17.1

I'm thankful for the great UI that you have developed and am not complaining. I figure you are interested in the error though.

It does not happen on Chrome or Firefox. But it does happen on all of my machines on IE and Edge. If I can I'd like to use IE on my Win 7 machine because it is less impactfull on my CPU than Chrome and Firefox.

I just installed 17.1 and now the UI shows only the title bar. . View attachment 12571

I was getting the error below in UI2 v 16.3 and in v 17.0. It was happening in IE 11.0.9600.18524 on Win 7 (V 6.1 Bld 7601 SP1. But not Chrome or Firefox.

Old error:
Unable to get property 'isLive' of undefined or null reference <url>ui2/ui2.js?v-0.17.0
line: 1776
Char: 2

View attachment 12570

I see that you are already on it. Thanks.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I was getting this error on Safari - Installed v0.17.1 and now just get the attached
It should be fixed now. Please report any further defects you may encounter.

v0.17.2 - 2016-11-18
* Worked around a quirk in some browsers preventing the session cookie from being sent with image requests that had crossOrigin="anonymous" set.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I was getting the error below in UI2 v 16.3 and in v 17.0. It was happening in IE 11.0.9600.18524 on Win 7 (V 6.1 Bld 7601 SP1. But not Chrome or Firefox.

Old error:
Unable to get property 'isLive' of undefined or null reference <url>ui2/ui2.js?v-0.17.0
line: 1776
Char: 2

View attachment 12570
If this is still happening to you with 0.17.2, I will look into it further. I looked at that line of code and I can't really imagine how that could happen unless something else failed during the page load.

jejosephso

n3wb
Reaction score
If this is still happening to you with 0.17.2, I will look into it further. I looked at that line of code and I can't really imagine how that could happen unless something else failed during the page load.
Neither the old error or the session cookie error are happening any longer. Thanks again.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Your amazing. Thank you very much.

Your interface is so far above what is included by default, I mean it is just awesome? Have you and the creator of B.I. ever talked about working together to include this interface by default?

I almost exclusively use Chrome on my iphone, However I just tried the update 17.1 with safari and it is working fine for me.

@Edit - If creator of B.I. Sees this, No insult intended, I absolutely love Blue Iris. :)
I'm glad you like UI2. Yes, I have spoken to Ken (the creator of Blue Iris) about this, and I'm quietly working on a new web interface for him. It is going to be simpler and hopefully more intuitive than UI2, while retaining all the important capabilities. I doubt many people will still want to use UI2 once the new interface is ready. Only trouble is, getting Ken to communicate and work with me on this project has been nearly impossible with all the rest of the stuff he has going on. So I don't know when you'll get to see this new interface.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just installed the update, thanks bp2008. I have a question about the H.264 streaming... When changing cameras is it normal to get a couple of seconds of macro-blocking? Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You could certainly have macro-blocking, particularly if you are using a low bit rate. The decoder is fairly primitive, so we are forced to use the "ultrafast" preset which is more prone to creating block artifacts than the other encoding presets. To reduce the blocks, you should increase the quality % and be sure to use the Limit bitrate option.

Here are my encoding options and I don't really see a problem with the quality. It isn't great, but it isn't terrible. If I need to see something in really high quality I can just switch to JPEG streaming in the web UI temporarily.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks, my settings were similar. I had quality at 100% and left it. I had bitrate at 500 and increased it to 2048... macro-blocking gone. So when is it best to use H.264 vs JPEG? Appreciate it!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
So when is it best to use H.264 vs JPEG?
I suggest you use H.264 unless it isn't working well, because it uses less bandwidth and delivers a higher frame rate. This is especially nice for controlling PTZ cameras over the internet because it feels much more responsive.

Use JPEG streaming if you don't have enough bandwidth to maintain the H.264 stream, or if your viewing device isn't powerful enough (my Samsung Galaxy Tab S has a lot of trouble with it). It also takes slightly longer to switch between cameras when you use H.264.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks @bp2008... so this works for my laptop or any other PC using Chrome. I'm going to try this from my iPhone and Chrome today and see how it does. Thanks and I can't wait to see this rolled into BI!

MEZERR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sounds awesome! However, I'm getting this when turning it on...

MEZERR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Windows 7. I get the same error on my work PC and it's CHROME 54 and WIN7 also.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I just tried from a Win7 machine with latest Chrome 54, and no error. I have only one theory, that it might require an absolute path. Though it doesn't for me. Can you try setting up your server as an external server? Here is how:

1) In UI2, click the upper left corner (server name)
2) Click Manage Servers
3) Click Add New Server
4) Enter any name you want, in the Host field put your address(colon)port, and put in the user name and password if required (leave blank if anonymous authentication will work)
5) Done
6) Click your newly added "server name" in the list. When it loads this way, it will access the h.264 video via an absolute path instead of a relative path.

MEZERR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's working now. I went into the servers section as you said, and my server was already there. I created a new one and switched to it. The H.264 started working. I then deleted that server, and went back to the one that was already there, and it works now also. So.. not sure what happened there.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm. Very strange. Anyway, I'll try to remember to change it so the 'fetch' request uses an absolute URL just in case that was related.