I made a better remote-live-view page [OLD]

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@bp2008 - have you used UI2 in Edge at all, while using the Logitech Setpoint software?

With Setpoint installed and using Edge, zooming in to a camera to simulate digital zoom doesn't work properly. Edge zooms to max zoom (50x) even if you move the mousewheel just one notch, rather than doing a stepped zoom.

This behavior doesn't occur anywhere else on the system, nor does it occur when using Setpoint in combination with Firefox or Chrome. Those browsers behavior properly and do a stepped zoom.

To me, this is a real shame because Edge works the best of any browser for using UI2. Sound works well (maybe a bit delayed compared to Firefox), but the best reason to use it is that Edge handles RAM use like a champ. I find Firefox crashes on my UI2 display after a couple hours (I have 24 cameras always displaying), and Chrome's RAM usage balloons severely after a few hours, even though it has never crashed outright.

Any idea what might be causing this behavior?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Edge must be duplicating the mouse wheel events ... I will look into it.

Though I'm not sure any of my machines have setpoint anymore. That stopped working with gaming mice years ago.

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Edge must be duplicating the mouse wheel events ... I will look into it.

Though I'm not sure any of my machines have setpoint anymore. That stopped working with gaming mice years ago.
Thank you! And yeah, I'm using SetPoint on a couple computers presently on Windows 10, mainly to change or disable Logitech's hotkeys. I'll gladly test anything you'd like if you don't want to install the software yourself.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is likely the only solution here will be to detect the edge browser and throw out wheel events that occur within (10? 50?) milliseconds of another.

I could make a script you could put in ui2_local_overrides.js to diagnose exactly what is happening.

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Perfect. I only use UI2 on my work computer, and I'm about to be done working for the day pretty soon, but I'll commit to testing anything you'd like tomorrow.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. In your blue iris www/ui2 directory, create a file named ui2_local_overrides.js (if you don't already have one) and paste this script into it and save the file:

Code:
var original_DigitalZoomNow = DigitalZoomNow;
var last_DigitalZoomNow = new Date().getTime() - 10000;
DigitalZoomNow = function (deltaY, isFromKeyboard)
{
    var now = new Date().getTime();
    if (now - last_DigitalZoomNow > 5)
    {
        original_DigitalZoomNow(deltaY, isFromKeyboard);
        last_DigitalZoomNow = now;
    }
};
Refresh/reload UI2 in Edge (Ctrl + F5) once this file is in place.

This script, which I admit I have not tested, should prevent digital zoom from occurring more than once in a 5 millisecond interval. If this does not completely solve the problem, try increasing the number 5 in the script above. That 5 is the number of milliseconds that must pass between mouse wheel events.

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Script doesn't seem to have any effect. I tried in Edge and Chrome, and even if I input values as high as 500ms, zoom still works the same on both browsers.

I tried using ctrl reload to clear the cache, and I also used private browsing windows to make sure the cache would be reloaded, but no go.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Throw in a

Code:
alert("override script is working");
at the bottom of the script, and then you should get a message box saying "override script is working" when the page loads.

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, I finally got your code working by dropping it into the overrides_templates file and renaming it.

The good news is, your code works fine. The bad news is, SetPoint is still causing uncontrollable scrolling in Edge. Without your script, a single mouse wheel scroll (that would scroll 3 lines on a web page) zooms to maximum zoom in UI2. With your script, a single mouse scroll scrolls you immediately to about 3x, then a second scroll to about 20x, with no granularity between those steps.

It almost seems like SetPoint is introducing a velocity scroll feature into Edge only, where one click of the mouse wheel makes the scroll continue in that direction for a short duration of time. After reviewing the options in SetPoint, I could not find any option to disable any feature like this. So, to solve the problem I just uninstalled SetPoint. Now everything works fine, even without your script!

Sorry to send you down a rabbit hole to fix a problem with Logitech's software. At least now in the future if you see someone having this trouble, you can just chalk it up to the Logitech software engineers being jackasses. Thank you anyway with your support!

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, the unintended side effect of you having me muck around with the txt configs is that I setup the defaults for UI2 to be just the way I like it, for all users, which will even help me on that occasional moment that I need to clear browser cache manually and would have to redo my UI2 settings from the GUI menu. Thank you!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've had plenty of issues with Logitech software (and hardware) too, just none quite like that one. I was about to suggest using the digital zoom hotkeys instead of the mouse wheel (which would suck, I know, but it would be immune to screwy mouse drivers).

I am glad you at least gained something out of this. Not a lot of people ever find out you can override the UI2 settings like that.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First, I want to thank Brian for the great code he generated for this application. I have been using it on a Win10 laptop with Chrome in the h264 mode (bedroom). I also use it on a 32" Samsung smart TV in the family room. This TV has a dumb browser and can only stream jpg at a 1-2 fps. It does not support the h264 stream, just made the screen go white and had the reload the ui2.htm code on BI server. Would like to find way of increasing fps w/o dinking around with more than one appliance. I have 4 Dahua priority cams active on the TV, but use a total of 8 Dahua Starlight cams around the house now, and very pleased. Has anyone else used this app on any smart TV browser? I am thinking of moving the 32" Samsung to the bedroom and getting around a 40" for the family room. Some TV browsers automatically go to a screen saver mode after a set time and you cannot set the default time out. This Samsung 1080p that I have (32J525D) has the capability of delaying screensaver for hours on the menu and has an ethernet port. I have purchased some of those HDMI to Enet to HDMI converters to mirror the monitor on the BI server, but lost a lot of resolution, so I junked that idea. Like to hear for other people that are using large monitors / TVs for viewing for good set ups. This is a pic of the family room setup with regular LG OLED TV on top and Samsung TV security monitor on bottom. Thanks Brian!!

DSCN4308.JPG

DSCN4305.JPG

Last edited:

jrich523

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I dont suppose you have a light weight version of this that would be ideal for embedding in other applications? Would love something like this only a tad lighter for my home automation system. Because the home automation system has its own nav etc embedding the page as is will probably eat up too much space, i guess ideally i jsut need the camera feeds and maybe an alert list?

at any rate, love it, thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
First, I want to thank Brian for the great code he generated for this application. I have been using it on a Win10 laptop with Chrome in the h264 mode (bedroom). I also use it on a 32" Samsung smart TV in the family room. This TV has a dumb browser and can only stream jpg at a 1-2 fps. It does not support the h264 stream, just made the screen go white and had the reload the ui2.htm code on BI server. Would like to find way of increasing fps w/o dinking around with more than one appliance. I have 4 Dahua priority cams active on the TV, but use a total of 8 Dahua Starlight cams around the house now, and very pleased. Has anyone else used this app on any smart TV browser? I am thinking of moving the 32" Samsung to the bedroom and getting around a 40" for the family room. Some TV browsers automatically go to a screen saver mode after a set time and you cannot set the default time out. This Samsung 1080p that I have (32J525D) has the capability of delaying screensaver for hours on the menu and has an ethernet port. I have purchased some of those HDMI to Enet to HDMI converters to mirror the monitor on the BI server, but lost a lot of resolution, so I junked that idea. Like to hear for other people that are using large monitors / TVs for viewing for good set ups. This is a pic of the family room setup with regular LG OLED TV on top and Samsung TV security monitor on bottom. Thanks Brian!!
Nothing beats a direct HDMI feed to the Blue Iris computer, but if you want to do better with UI2 then there are two things.

1) connect the TV with ethernet, not wifi.

2) Use low quality mode, which is this icon:

Blue for high quality, red and fuzzy for low quality

Of course low quality is going to be really bad straight out of the box so go into Settings > Video Streaming and at the bottom increase the Quality and Scale options.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont suppose you have a light weight version of this that would be ideal for embedding in other applications? Would love something like this only a tad lighter for my home automation system. Because the home automation system has its own nav etc embedding the page as is will probably eat up too much space, i guess ideally i jsut need the camera feeds and maybe an alert list?

at any rate, love it, thanks!
I believe the allcams.htm page still works, and it is much lighter. No clip viewing - just live video. A somewhat more capable page (also no longer supported) is jpegpull2.htm. Both are much lighter than ui2. Both are no longer being maintained but they still work and are included in the zip with UI2.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, I always use Ethernet when I can and it is connected to TV. I tried the lower quality option and changed the quality and scale. It increased the fps w/o much resolution sacrifice. Works even better now. Thanks for the tip Brian, your the man!

fluffypony

n3wb
Reaction score
This is new - since today this has started happening:

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 9.28.50 PM.png

and then it just constantly refreshes. I can't tell if it's due to a BI update or something else - suggestions?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well my BI is completely up to date and I'm not getting that.

If you can make a temporary Blue Iris account for me (and make sure it gets the same error) and give me connection information via a private message, I will take a look at what your system is doing differently.

fluffypony

n3wb
Reaction score
Forgot to add that the clients are Windows only, macOS seems unaffected. Firefox says "Failed to load clip list", and Chrome says "Failed to load alert list" lol.

I'm going to try a reboot of the camera server just quickly to see if that works, and failing that I'll set an account up for you.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The different messages are easily explained. Firefox has the clip list selected, and chrome has the alert list selected.

clip list = one item per file
alert list = one item per trigger