I made a better remote-live-view page [OLD]

al4n

n3wb
Reaction score
thank you for this, great addon

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Just fixed it...some odd internal DNS issues on my network, my pFsense firewall is flaking out. When I go to the IP of the BI server the gui works perfectly, but the hostname does not. Thank you once again.
Yikes.

When I use my dynamic DNS hostname to connect to Blue Iris while on the same LAN, the traffic goes through my router instead of directly to the Blue Iris server. Most likely the same thing going on with you. It might not be DNS failure at all, but instead a failure of your router's hairpin NAT.

MrMxyzptlk

n3wb
Reaction score
Yikes.

When I use my dynamic DNS hostname to connect to Blue Iris while on the same LAN, the traffic goes through my router instead of directly to the Blue Iris server. Most likely the same thing going on with you. It might not be DNS failure at all, but instead a failure of your router's hairpin NAT.
Yes that was it, I had forgotten to put the routers IP in the DNS forwarding settings...woops.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I updated UI2 this morning to fix a problem that was making the experimental H.264 player use way more CPU than it should have. Download link in the first post where it always is

Somehow the compression I used on the script file was responsible for making it very slow. I don't think it was always this slow, so maybe a Chrome update was partly responsible. Anyway, performance of H.264 playback should be very much improved in this new version.

v0.18.3 - 2017-10-04
* Greatly improved the efficiency of the experimental H.264 player.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Found a bug in today's earlier release. It has now been fixed.

v0.18.4 - 2017-10-04
* Fixed a bug introduced in 0.18.3 where clips couldn't be played while H.264 live view was enabled.

MrMxyzptlk

n3wb
Reaction score
Yesssss! the H.264 streaming is now working as good and better than JPEG...it was unusable for me until the brand new UI2 update.

Thank you for the excellent work!!!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
jpegpull2.htm has a lot fewer supporting files (images, scripts, etc).

Also for some time now Blue Iris has been explicitly telling browsers not to cache anything so all the files have to get redownloaded every time you load the page. I complained to Ken about this but he was on vacation this week.

You can load UI2 from the home with the fast connection and set it up to connect to your slower BI server (click the upper left corner of UI2 and choose "Manage Servers").

In fact for several releases now UI2 has been partly (mostly?) functional as a client app just by double-clicking ui2.htm and having it open in a browser. Note that is not the recommended method of using it and if something doesn't work that way I am not likely to fix it.

Reaction score
Haven't visited this thread in awhile so please excuse my ignorance.

1. What happened to default2.htm?

2. What's the difference between livestream.htm and default.htm?

3. I get poor framerate (~10 fps) when viewing through UI2, and even worse framerate (~3 fps) when viewing a single camera through UI2. What can I do to get as much framerate as possible?

4. What's the recommended option for maximizing framerate? For that, is it still best to stay with the Internet Explorer ActiveX plugin?

Thanks in advance.

tmar89

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm just getting started with Blue Iris and all the features. I really love this web app you made.

Is there a feature to cycle through active cameras in full screen at timed intervals?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't visited this thread in awhile so please excuse my ignorance.

1. What happened to default2.htm?

2. What's the difference between livestream.htm and default.htm?

3. I get poor framerate (~10 fps) when viewing through UI2, and even worse framerate (~3 fps) when viewing a single camera through UI2. What can I do to get as much framerate as possible?

4. What's the recommended option for maximizing framerate? For that, is it still best to stay with the Internet Explorer ActiveX plugin?

Thanks in advance.
1) I think default2.htm is still in the zip... is it not? It is just a slightly modified version of default.htm that I have not updated in years. One of my first attempts at a better web interface.

2) Livestream.htm plays live video efficiently in any modern browser, but that is all it does. default.htm lets you view clips, change cameras, operate PTZ, etc, and only works in Internet Explorer.

3) The reason you get a low frame rate is that UI2 streams jpeg images to create the video, which is all kinds of inefficient. To get a higher frame rate you can use the experimental H.264 mode that is buried in the settings under HTML5 Canvas, but it only works in Chrome for live view and only after you've changed Blue Iris's encoder settings. Another way to improve the frame rate is to use the low quality jpeg mode. It is this funny looking icon.
When it is red you are in low quality mode. You can configure the quality of low quality mode in UI2's settings.

4) For now, when frame rate really matters, the default.htm page is best. However rest assured I am working on a better solution and I expect it to be ready within a few months.

I'm just getting started with Blue Iris and all the features. I really love this web app you made.

Is there a feature to cycle through active cameras in full screen at timed intervals?
Only what Blue Iris supports natively. You can load any camera cycles you have configured via the dropdown box at the top of UI2.

Reaction score
Regarding #1, I was looking at the Github repo and the releases on there. Default2.htm is not there. But I downloaded the zip file from the first page of this thread and that zip file does contain the default2.htm. Not sure why these two zip files would be different. Shouldn't the Github repo be treated as master and all downloads be obtained from there?

I guess what I'm really looking for is just a webpage that is designed to be viewed 24/7 on a monitor or big TV so I can just see all the cameras at a glance with both maximum quality and maximum framerate, but also taking into account that I might not be on a home network and have 1Gbit to spare, so the Java client is not feasible. The livestream.htm does a great job of this but unfortunately the delay is not modifiable.

For now I've been rolling with the UI2.htm page with the alerts bar minimized and then put the browser into full screen mode (F11), even though framerate is not at the max for each camera. If there's anything I can help with with your better solution idea then let me know.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Regarding #1, I was looking at the Github repo and the releases on there. Default2.htm is not there.
It is there, if you actually download a release from the releases tab and not just a copy of the repository. The results are very similar (since UI2 does not have a "build" process) but as you've noticed not everything I include in a release zip is in the repository. Technically it is a bit inappropriate for me to even include the old pre-UI2 pages on the github site at all, but I'm too lazy to deal with a separate release zip just for UI2.

Shouldn't the Github repo be treated as master and all downloads be obtained from there?
Perhaps. But I was releasing the bp2008_bi_webserver_files.zip here for a long time before I ever put UI2 on github, and I didn't want to confuse people by changing where the downloads would be served from.

I guess what I'm really looking for is just a webpage that is designed to be viewed 24/7 on a monitor or big TV so I can just see all the cameras at a glance with both maximum quality and maximum framerate, but also taking into account that I might not be on a home network and have 1Gbit to spare, so the Java client is not feasible. The livestream.htm does a great job of this but unfortunately the delay is not modifiable.

For now I've been rolling with the UI2.htm page with the alerts bar minimized and then put the browser into full screen mode (F11), even though framerate is not at the max for each camera. If there's anything I can help with with your better solution idea then let me know.
The frame rate is usually somewhat limited by Blue Iris when you are showing a group of cameras in a web interface or mobile app, and there is nothing I can do about that. The Java client will be the worst frame rate of all.

As I mentioned before, I am working on a better solution :)

Jury

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

Question - is it possible to have in Clips area cameras labels instead of names (CAM1, CAM2, ...)?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Question - is it possible to have in Clips area cameras labels instead of names (CAM1, CAM2, ...)?
Sure, it was easy so I added it as an option for you. I'm not going to do a whole release with a new version number and everything just for this, but I committed it to github. If you want it you can get it by going here and clicking the green "clone or download" button, then Download ZIP. GitHub - bp2008/ui2: A custom web interface for Blue Iris Video Security Software

The option is at the bottom of the "UI Behavior" category.

Jury

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sure, it was easy so I added it as an option for you. I'm not going to do a whole release with a new version number and everything just for this, but I committed it to github. If you want it you can get it by going here and clicking the green "clone or download" button, then Download ZIP. GitHub - bp2008/ui2: A custom web interface for Blue Iris Video Security Software

The option is at the bottom of the "UI Behavior" category.
Thank you. Just another one question. Will overrides works for this option?

joey52685

n3wb
Reaction score
Now that H.264 is working well would it be possible to have an option to overlay some stats on the video? The default settings look awful. I raised the bitrate limit and that seems to have improved it greatly, but I'd like to see what rate the video is actually streaming at if that's possible.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that H.264 is working well would it be possible to have an option to overlay some stats on the video? The default settings look awful. I raised the bitrate limit and that seems to have improved it greatly, but I'd like to see what rate the video is actually streaming at if that's possible.
I will keep that in mind, but if you want to measure the bit rate I suggest you just use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to read the network stats.

joey52685

n3wb
Reaction score
I will keep that in mind, but if you want to measure the bit rate I suggest you just use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to read the network stats.
That makes sense. Do you have any suggestions for encoder settings aside from raising the bitrate limit? Also would it be possible to implement limits on the client-side instead of the server? This would let me have different settings on my PC on the LAN vs my laptop on the WAN.