I made a better remote-live-view page [OLD]

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Made some changes to the Live View screen with the addition of PTZ Control and a zoom in/out on the top dial.

View attachment 8055

Here is the Alerts tab mocked up. Might need some thought into how to filter flagged events now that you have added this capability. Also, I have to think about auto play feature and where that will go. Currently I think auto play should be a toggle on the left panel perhaps, but still thinking about it.

View attachment 8057

Let me know what you all think.
I like it and it looks clean, but I wonder if there is a way you or BP2008 could make a beta page that we could load our data and videos into to play with? Something like a ui2beta.htm that we could add to our www folder?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Made some changes to the Live View screen with the addition of PTZ Control and a zoom in/out on the top dial.

View attachment 8055

Here is the Alerts tab mocked up. Might need some thought into how to filter flagged events now that you have added this capability. Also, I have to think about auto play feature and where that will go. Currently I think auto play should be a toggle on the left panel perhaps, but still thinking about it.

View attachment 8057

Let me know what you all think.
I like it. A few comments:

• I think the zoom in button should be above the zoom out button, not to the left.
  • I don't know if I like the playback controls in the mockup, or the ones in UI2 (graphics aside). I find them unintuitive in Blue Iris, so I tried to make it simpler in UI2 by having a single button for play/pause, a single button for forward/reverse playback, and separate buttons for slowing down and speeding up. I'm not sure which buttons are which in the mockup.
  • UI2 has this context menu that I feel like a lot of people probably don't know about because it is only accessible by click-and-hold. This also makes it inaccessible on touchscreens since that is the standard operation for opening the browser's context menu. Any ideas on how to make it more accessible, keeping in mind the buttons all have to operate on the camera under the pointer?

I like it and it looks clean, but I wonder if there is a way you or BP2008 could make a beta page that we could load our data and videos into to play with? Something like a ui2beta.htm that we could add to our www folder?
Rest assured, there will be early, incomplete versions, and they'll be included in the normal zip distribution as ui3.htm with supporting files in a ui3 subfolder.

skarragallagher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's not much but I added mine. Thanks for all your support and continued development

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I like it. A few comments:

• I think the zoom in button should be above the zoom out button, not to the left. I'll make this change and post again tomorrow. I can see it either way personally and have not attachment to it, so that's easy.
  • I don't know if I like the playback controls in the mockup, or the ones in UI2 (graphics aside). I find them unintuitive in Blue Iris, so I tried to make it simpler in UI2 by having a single button for play/pause, a single button for forward/reverse playback, and separate buttons for slowing down and speeding up. I'm not sure which buttons are which in the mockup. Funny since this was the one thing that gave me so much grief over and I personally don't care for how it turned out either. I can think through this more and get a different design back out that makes it more clear what does what exactly.
  • UI2 has this context menu that I feel like a lot of people probably don't know about because it is only accessible by click-and-hold. This also makes it inaccessible on touchscreens since that is the standard operation for opening the browser's context menu. Any ideas on how to make it more accessible, keeping in mind the buttons all have to operate on the camera under the pointer? Well crap! Way to throw a curve ball at me with this one. I had no idea this was even there so it is certainly something I haven't had time to think through. I'll have to get back with you on this one.
Replied in red to your last post @bp2008

Also, I made a contribution to the cause also :D

https://www.paypal.me/bp2008

Last edited by a moderator:

thevorlon

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello bp2008,

I have found an issue with setting the thumbnails for my presets that I did not see mentioned.

I name my preset positions in Blue Iris under the "PTZ/Control" tab, "Edit presets" button. When I set the thumbnails in UI2, my preset position names in Blue Iris get renamed to ui2. Hopefully, example below makes it clearer.

In ui2, set preset #3 to a thumbnail.
Clipboard01.jpg

In Blue Iris, the 3rd presets name changes to ui2.
Clipboard03.jpg

I have this happen in Win7 and Win10.

I can go into Blue Iris and reset the names again without any problems. Everything else works great. Thanks

Yup. Unfortunately those thumbnails are stored only in the browser you use to set the presets, but you can always goto and set each preset in sequence on other browsers to replicate them.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello bp2008,

I have found an issue with setting the thumbnails for my presets that I did not see mentioned.

I name my preset positions in Blue Iris under the "PTZ/Control" tab, "Edit presets" button. When I set the thumbnails in UI2, my preset position names in Blue Iris get renamed to ui2. Hopefully, example below makes it clearer.

In ui2, set preset #3 to a thumbnail.
View attachment 8063

In Blue Iris, the 3rd presets name changes to ui2.
View attachment 8064

I have this happen in Win7 and Win10.

I can go into Blue Iris and reset the names again without any problems. Everything else works great. Thanks
I will put this on my list of things to do, to preserve the existing preset name. Thing is, UI2 never asks and finds out what the existing preset name is so it will have to do that first.

vitron1984

n3wb
Reaction score
This man is a genius! If you use his software, you should donate to him! He takes paypal! Even if its a dollar. Show him your appreciation!

Jaceon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a way to add a time stamp to clips during playback? Currently I look at the time on the alert clip and add the amount of time that has passed in the clip since then, to know an exact time. I guess it's good for my brain to do a little math so if not, or impossible, no biggy just a suggestion :rapture:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a way to add a time stamp to clips during playback? Currently I look at the time on the alert clip and add the amount of time that has passed in the clip since then, to know an exact time. I guess it's good for my brain to do a little math so if not, or impossible, no biggy just a suggestion :rapture:
Yes and no. Because Blue Iris has the ability to combine multiple alerts into one clip, such a timestamp would not always be accurate. But if you did not use the combine option in Blue Iris, then in theory it would always be accurate. At least within a few seconds because I think the pre-trigger frames are not included in the clip timestamp calculation. It is kind of a mess. The best thing is to have the camera overlay the date and time directly into the video so that it exists in the video no matter what.

Edit: To more clearly answer your question, no there is not a way (for UI2) to add a timestamp to clips during playback. I mean technically it is something that could be implemented, and accurately too because Blue Iris sends a timestamp along with every video frame in an http header. But those headers are normally inaccessible with image loads and the workaround for that uses a lot of extra CPU so I do not want to implement it.

Jaceon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
so I do not want to implement it.
This is good enough for me!
If I am doing any serious detective work I always just go to my BI server as obviously it's easiest. I've found using my cameras time stamps don't always line up perfect when jumping from camera to camera so I removed them, but if it becomes a bigger deal to me I'll just re-add them.

On a side note. If you did ever go through with a UI change, don't change the fullscreen mode setup. How easy and fast it is to flip through cameras, is the UI2 feature that makes life easy for the people I have using it here =)

Thanks for your "to good to be free" customer support and work. I'll donate more as I see fit or with big changes :encouragement:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This is good enough for me!
If I am doing any serious detective work I always just go to my BI server as obviously it's easiest. I've found using my cameras time stamps don't always line up perfect when jumping from camera to camera so I removed them, but if it becomes a bigger deal to me I'll just re-add them.

On a side note. If you did ever go through with a UI change, don't change the fullscreen mode setup. How easy and fast it is to flip through cameras, is the UI2 feature that makes life easy for the people I have using it here =)

Thanks for your "to good to be free" customer support and work. I'll donate more as I see fit or with big changes :encouragement:
:)

Indeed the timestamps don't always line up perfectly unless you use Blue Iris' timestamping functionality (which has limitations surrounding the use of direct to disk). Myself I use NetTime from http://www.timesynctool.com/ installed on a local machine and I point all my cameras at that machine for their NTP time server and have them update very often, like once an hour. This keeps them all in sync well enough for me, though some cruddy chinese cameras I've had in the past would fail to time sync and they would drift. Dahua and Hikvision cams have been spot-on.

Jaceon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
:)

Indeed the timestamps don't always line up perfectly unless you use Blue Iris' timestamping functionality (which has limitations surrounding the use of direct to disk). Myself I use NetTime from http://www.timesynctool.com/ installed on a local machine and I point all my cameras at that machine for their NTP time server and have them update very often, like once an hour. This keeps them all in sync well enough for me, though some cruddy chinese cameras I've had in the past would fail to time sync and they would drift. Dahua and Hikvision cams have been spot-on.
Hey, I'll look into that, thanks. After doing my own trial and error with cams during initial setup I now use nothing but Hik. Honestly I can't wait for all my non Hikvision cams to die :topsy_turvy:. I'll do some testing on this though, Thanks

Reaction score
HELP...

Has anyone tried to set up their BI web interface behind an nginx reverse proxy server for SSL? I have it working perfectly with the stock web interface, so it's something like https://bi.xyz.com/. However, trying to get ui2 to work with this, I get either "too many redirect loops", or it simply won't let me log in.

I got around the redirect loops by modifying my nginx config path to look like this, by adding /login.htm?page=%2Fui2.htm instead of just ui2.htm. This brings me to the login screen, however I cannot login. It seems that it doesn't know how to forward back through the proxy or something. Any tips anyone?

Code:
server  {
  listen  443 ssl;   # config for Blue Iris camera system
  server_name  bi.domain.com;
  location  / {
    proxy_pass  http://10.2.3.46:81/login.htm?page=%2Fui2.htm;
    proxy_set_header Host $host;
    proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
    proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
  }
}

vitron1984

n3wb
Reaction score
Some of the better Chinese cams have little batteries soldered to the board that keep the time in sync if there is a power failure. But yes D2D is a problem if your trying to keep accurate timestamps on all your cameras.. I've noticed on the Chinese cams if you are running a BI server, you can just open either the cams IP page or client program, and usually there is some kind of option to set "sync time with local computer". If you leave that browser or client program up on the BI machine I've learned it will keep the camera in sync, not relying on NTP. I think all the Chinese cams I have, have some sort of NTP setting to sink with an NTP server through like port 21 or 23 or something, and though even I've opened up the port to the outside world not all of them actually have a working NTP function that I can verify at least. That's where I found on 2 different kind of Chinese cams an option to sync the time to the local computer. Then you can use D2D on BI and the cameras stay in sink. Just don't have an actual window open rendering the cam in the client webpage/program for the camera. That would probably defeat the purpose of using D2D. Yes I agree time sync tool is great.

Now when will 360 dewarping be available through UI2? :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
But yes D2D is a problem if your trying to keep accurate timestamps on all your cameras..
It is only a problem on real junk cameras. Any decent camera can sync perfectly with the time sync tool or an NTP server. d2d must be utilized if using many multi megapixel cameras and is the way all NVR's operate, reencoding is incredibly inefficient. Also note that if you record to bvr you can export the blue iris time stamp on the recording.