I need help with choosing Cat6 cable

skjom

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have a look at the reviews of the cables , highly rated cables when stripped apart are actually CCA.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So you are saying this is a lie?
100% SOLID COPPER CORE 0.51mm - data speed (10/100/1000mb),RoHS Compliant, TIA/EIA 568B Standard, Fluke tested - professional quality for High Definition (HD) camera's. Constructed from high quality weatherproof (protected against, water, heat and cold) PE jacket and UV resistant for long life and durability.

skjom

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So you are saying this is a lie?
nope but of the few that i could find that seemed quality cable

try to find a quality 10m cable

links such as this look promising:
Duronic 10m CAT6a FTP Professional Gold Headed Shielded: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

3,629 reviews- 4.5/5 stars

but then read the reviews :
"ordered about 6 or 7 of these cables in varying lengths. 5 Meter, 1.5 Meter, 1 Meter and 0.5 Meter.

All of them are completely rubbish. One of my 1.5 Meter's didn't even function, its pins are wrong. And the other cables are rated "poor" by my Intel Nic's cable tester. I can't get over 60MB/s through any of these cables but I can get 112MB/s through a generic Cat5e cable.

Don't waste your money on this junk, complete rubbish.
EDIT:// Also I just wanted to add, all of the cables I received used 26 AWG wires inside. That is ridiculous gauge cable to use on Cat6a. The recommended wire size for Cat6a is 22 to 24 Gauge. And for Cat5e it's 24 to 26 Gauge"

another top selling cable:
CSL - 10m - CAT.6 Ethernet Gigabit Lan network cable (RJ45) | 10/100/1000Mbit/s | Patch cable | UTP | compatible with CAT.5 / CAT.5e / CAT.7 | Switch/Router/Modem/Patch panel / Access Point / patch fields | black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

some reviews:
This item is not as described. Listing states "High quality copper inner conductor", but the conductor is actually inferior quality copper-coated aluminium.

Comments
Edvinas M.4 months ago
Report abuse
Completely agree with you Graeme. Even from their picture it is visible that they are using copper coated aluminium cabling. These are inferior and should not be marked as anything else but budget.
Warning - doing POA over these types of cables you can damage them or even set them on fire.
Paul Dalton7 months ago
This stuff is being sold all over the World and its FAKE.
Targaid1 year ago (Edited)
I see CSL have replied to this review but not commented on the cable quality. I'd have thought if it weren't true they would have denied it. Has certainly discouraged me from buying.
A Watson1 year ago (Edited)
This review put me off purchasing. Its misleading product descriptions and inferior copper coated rubbish only show this to be inferior cabling. And its not exactly cheap. Same cheapo type cables with similar coated materials (not genuine copper) can be had on ebay for 8.99. Its about time people like Graeme exposed these types of products after investigating. Some companies take users as mugs and try to make as much money as possible while providing inferior cabling and listing it as having something it doesn't in the hope people wont notice! Very Shady practices!
Phil1 year ago

Report abuse
a common problem - copper clad aluminium is NOT compliant to any of the TIA or ISO specifications - in fact selling CCA cables claiming they are compliant is an offence - be very wary - particulary if using for PoE (power over Ethernet as CCA is a fire hazard used in this way

I genuinely found it very difficult to find a genuine 10M Cat6 or Cat5E solid copper cable

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I've always thought that using CCA when carrying power was dumb. I ran the numbers, and they say I'm wrong.

Assuming a 200' run to the camera, with 24 awg copper having a resistance of 25.67 ohms per 1000', and 24 awg aluminum having a resistance of 42.1 ohms per 1000'. There's 400' of wire to complete the round-trip circuit, and each side of the supply is carried on 2 wires, so the total circuit resistance for the 200' run is 5.1 ohms for copper and 8.1 ohms for aluminum. With a 10 watt load the current is about 0.2 amps. With the copper wire the voltage drop is 1.02 volts and 0.2 watts is lost in the wiring. With aluminum the voltage drop is 1.62 volts and the power lost in the wiring is 0.32 watts. I'm surprised by the small difference. Did I make a math error?

The math says using CCA is perfectly ok. I still say it's dumb. For me at least the work of running the cable far overshadows the cost. I use only solid copper cat6, not for the greater data capability, but to get 23 awg instead of 24 awg.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cat6 for cameras is overkill given that cameras operate at 100Mbps link speed - Cat5e will also handle Gigabit link speed, though strictly not certified for that.
This is Cat5e solid copper, decently priced, pre-made so just spool up any excess : Cable Sourcing - 30m CAT5e, 100% SOLID COPPER CORE: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
*edit* Just noticed it's now twice the price it was when I bought some a few weeks back, so not so decently priced ...

Absolutely no shortage of choice on Amazon.co.uk for bulk and pre-made when searching for cat5e solid copper
Cat6 vs Cat5e - comparison for PoE also includes the ability to power the devices. Thicker gauge wire in some of the Cat6 cables means less power loss on transmission, and often the price difference between Cat5e and Cat6 is fairly small ( at least in the USA ). If you use Cat6 you can run longer distances for PoE.

PoE calculator for Power over Ethernet

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Running the calculator for modest distances (50m) and non-PTZ cameras shows in reality a negligible difference in voltage drop / power loss between Cat6 and Cat5e.
As per @tigerwillow1 calculations also suggest for CCA vs solid copper.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've always thought that using CCA when carrying power was dumb. I ran the numbers, and they say I'm wrong.

Assuming a 200' run to the camera, with 24 awg copper having a resistance of 25.67 ohms per 1000', and 24 awg aluminum having a resistance of 42.1 ohms per 1000'. There's 400' of wire to complete the round-trip circuit, and each side of the supply is carried on 2 wires, so the total circuit resistance for the 200' run is 5.1 ohms for copper and 8.1 ohms for aluminum. With a 10 watt load the current is about 0.2 amps. With the copper wire the voltage drop is 1.02 volts and 0.2 watts is lost in the wiring. With aluminum the voltage drop is 1.62 volts and the power lost in the wiring is 0.32 watts. I'm surprised by the small difference. Did I make a math error?

The math says using CCA is perfectly ok. I still say it's dumb. For me at least the work of running the cable far overshadows the cost. I use only solid copper cat6, not for the greater data capability, but to get 23 awg instead of 24 awg.
The lost watts = heat in the wire... thus why aluminum is no longer allowed for electrical wiring in the USA ( they did use it at one time ).

Definitely avoid CCA, solid copper is the way to go here.

skjom

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ya was reading that belden article earlier, was looking for their cat 6 cable in UK , but could only find very long and expensive rolls.

I think the CCA stuff should be banned where false advertised, a lot of manufacturers are marking up CCA cable as high quality and selling it for 5 times price

Is Your Cat 6 Ethernet Cable Cat 6? Probably Not.

skjom

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Back to the original question also I had.

The monoprice cat6 looks like good quality stuff for you folks n the USA.

For those of us in Europe is there recommendations for suppliers outside what seems like the lucky dip that is Amazon ?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely go for Cat6, thicker copper is better for POE. ( you can use cat5e, you will just lose some more power compared to cat6 )

Outdoor rated if the cable be exposed to UV - you can avoid needing an outdoor rated cable if you put the cable in conduit.
Typical Cat6 cable lasts long enough outside if it is protected from direct sunlight, UV exposure, and rain. ( for example if it is under the roof overhang ).

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.