Idmss push notifications "failed to subscribe"

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am able to subscribe to push notification from multiple starlight cameras, but from the NVR I get "failed to subscribe" even though I can view the NVR live stream. (This sounds like the same issue that everybody is having.)
NVR5216-4KS2 - DH_NVR5XXX-4K_Eng_V3.215.0000000.1.R.20170901
IDMSS V3.51.001
My NVR is locked down behind a firewall, and I am using a VPN from my phone to my router to view live stream. Now that I am configured, if I am not tunneled in through the VPN, is there a way for push notifications to be sent/received?
-What would I need to open up in the firewall?
(I currently allow the NVR outbound access of UDP to an NTP server Port 123 and UDP to Port 53 on DNS servers 8 26 56 26 and 8 20 247 20. The NVR and cameras are constantly trying to contact other servers too...)
Try to connect via wifi at home and set off an IVS event, see if you get pushes locally. If that doesn't work, then the issue isnt the firewall.

Last edited:

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to update: I got it working. Started over again. Fresh reset on NVR, removed all devices on GDMSS and setup everything all over again. Dunno what I did differently this time than last time, but whatever. It's working.

Inigo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Try to connect via wifi at home and set off an IVS event, see if you get pushes locally. If that doesn't work, then the issue isnt the firewall.
@DarkHelmet Connected to WiFi at home and viewing live video on the iPhone through iDMSS from the NVR and able to subscribe to Push Notifications on the cameras, but when trying to subscribe to Push Notifications from the NVR, I still get "Failed to subscribe", and I don't actually receive any Push Notifications (Image) from the cameras that I am subscribed to. (The NVR does send email with the IVS images.)Any ideas?

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@DarkHelmet Connected to WiFi at home and viewing live video on the iPhone through iDMSS from the NVR and able to subscribe to Push Notifications on the cameras, but when trying to subscribe to Push Notifications from the NVR, I still get "Failed to subscribe", and I don't actually receive any Push Notifications (Image) from the cameras that I am subscribed to. (The NVR does send email with the IVS images.)Any ideas?
dunno. try deleting the nvr from the app and re-add it and try again and/or factory reset the nvr. other that that, not sure.

Inigo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
dunno. try deleting the nvr from the app and re-add it and try again and/or factory reset the nvr. other that that, not sure.
@DarkHelmet thanks. I'll try the factory reset on the NVR when I eventually get around to updating the software.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Inigo, did you succeed in getting push "subscription" to work? I started today with the 20180326 firmware release of my 5212 NVR, I also got the "subscription failed" error, however live feed did work. After some tweaking, I noted that I had used a "read-only" (non-admin) NVR account I made specifically for iDMSS. Out of curiosity, I switched to "admin" account, and poooff, "subscription success". I can add tons of alarms, so I'm on a roll here. However, before upgrading my IPC's, I had disabled all IVS/record plans/schedules, that might be the reason why I don't receive any pushes at all.

Going to try the factory reset way on the NVR tomorrow.

dzimm27

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I gave up on this personally and just use email screenshot notifications instead. For the number we generate I imagine it would be a pain getting all those push notifications on a phone anyway. I will admit it has me wondering if the grass is any greener over on the Hikvision side of things for NVR functionality/etc , even if the starlight cams are not there or cost much more. Anyone with feedback on that?

Inigo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Inigo, did you succeed in getting push "subscription" to work? I started today with the 20180326 firmware release of my 5212 NVR, I also got the "subscription failed" error, however live feed did work. After some tweaking, I noted that I had used a "read-only" (non-admin) NVR account I made specifically for iDMSS. Out of curiosity, I switched to "admin" account, and poooff, "subscription success". I can add tons of alarms, so I'm on a roll here. However, before upgrading my IPC's, I had disabled all IVS/record plans/schedules, that might be the reason why I don't receive any pushes at all. Going to try the factory reset way on the NVR tomorrow.
No, I didn't get push "subscription" to work, as I didn't have to reset the NVR when I updated the firmware. (IDMSS Plus Live Preview and Playback work fine, and when I Subscibe, I get "Saving Configuration", but never any notifications.) Instead of push notifications, I am using the Send Email option to send a text message to my phone with 3 photos, which is working great, except that I also get a 2nd text for the Event "InstrusionStop" (with no photos). The first text with the photos comes from a predictable sender, so I assigned it its own notification tone, but the "IntrusionStop" comes from a different sender each time, so it ends up with the standard text notification tone. Rather annoying that I can't set only the desired notification.

Andy @EMPIRETECANDY - are there any IDMSS Plus updates coming out any time soon?
Also can you pass on to Dahua that the Send Email option on the Camera ([NTSC]DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_EngSpnFrn_N_Stream3_V2.622.0000000.18.R.20171110) should only send the email with the photos attached and not also a 2nd email with the "IntrusionStop".
And while you are at it, deselecting Send Email on the NVR doesn't change anything. I ended up toggling Smart Codec On then Off to get the NVR to stop sending email notifications.

Cheers

Reaction score
gDMSS pro push notifications not working Dahua: Solved Nov2018
I have a couple of dahua DHI-NVR5232-16P-4KS2 and similar (System Version:3.215.0000000.1, Build Date: 2017-09-01). There are plenty of instructions on how to do the basic setup for cellphone APP Push notifications on gDMSS, but even so, I could never get it to work AT ALL.

Today I discovered that

YOU HAVE TO PLUG IN A MOUSE AND SCREEN INTO THE DVR INITIALY BEFORE APP PUSH NOTIFICATIONS WILL WORK :-(

I don't know if its just a question of accepting the user aggreement or if you need to complete the easy4ip part, but go through the initial questions etc and there you go, my notifications came through imediately,.

Dahua makes nice cameras but their software is an abyss of confusion and ill logic and bugs and errors. I have wasted years of my life trying to navigate their pitholes and obsticles and lack of documentation and help...So if your struggling, its not just you, its them. I picture a bunch of drunk toddlers sitting in a basement developing Dahua software. Bad Dahua, Bad dahua

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
gDMSS pro push notifications not working Dahua: Solved Nov2018
I have a couple of dahua DHI-NVR5232-16P-4KS2 and similar (System Version:3.215.0000000.1, Build Date: 2017-09-01). There are plenty of instructions on how to do the basic setup for cellphone APP Push notifications on gDMSS, but even so, I could never get it to work AT ALL.

Today I discovered that

YOU HAVE TO PLUG IN A MOUSE AND SCREEN INTO THE DVR INITIALY BEFORE APP PUSH NOTIFICATIONS WILL WORK :-(

I don't know if its just a question of accepting the user aggreement or if you need to complete the easy4ip part, but go through the initial questions etc and there you go, my notifications came through imediately,.

Dahua makes nice cameras but their software is an abyss of confusion and ill logic and bugs and errors. I have wasted years of my life trying to navigate their pitholes and obsticles and lack of documentation and help...So if your struggling, its not just you, its them. I picture a bunch of drunk toddlers sitting in a basement developing Dahua software. Bad Dahua, Bad dahua
The solution is to use Blue Iris instead.