If you had to have a wireless camera what would you choose?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand what you are all saying, and as a somewhat more technical person I get it.

On the other hand, as someone with a newborn who can only allocate an hour or two a week to a project which involves putting up outdoor cameras for mild security concerns (as in, it's more to monitor who's at the door, and I am not really concerned about security at all), it's much easier to buy a packaged product which is easy to setup. And ideally, also lets me use Blue Iris with it.

I personally design, write and sell software. And I always ask myself: would my mom be able to use this and figure it out without any instruction? It does no good to berate people just because they don't have the desire to learn. This forum is amazing because of the knowledge, no question, but my mom would never come here and if she did, she'd never get anything of value. I mean, just look at Nest's latest quarter, their sales speak for themselves. There's a reason.

I wish I had more time for this hobby (as that's what it is to me), but at the moment I don't. So what I was trying to do was buy a IP cam, like the Hikvision's I have inside, that are plug and play. And like a "mom", I don't have the time or inclination to buy cat5e/6 and put ends on it, drill holes in the house and drywall. I don't have time to create a separate subnet at 192.168.1.xx just to setup a camera, screw around with CN/EN flashing, nor try to find a 12v power cord that happens to work with some specific model. I also don't have time to try and decipher a 12-digit model # (your cliff notes are great at explaining this btw), or figure out if I need 2.6mm, 3.8mm etc.

But it's very important to note that none of this is a criticism of this forum. Rather, it's a criticism of the vendors. There are always experts in any field which demand total customizability and this forum is amazing for that, but for the majority of people it's too difficult and they aren't interested. I'm sure you see this in threads posted by people everyday.

For the record this forum, and the thread I originally posted has been very valuable in providing me options and information.
Once again you can hire somebody to do all this for a cheaper rate than nest... Only suckers and fools by into nest advertising..... But again it seems like you just want to convince yourself that you made the right decision... The fact that Nest suckered many people doesn't make it a good idea...

automaton

n3wb
Reaction score
Once again you can hire somebody to do all this for a cheaper rate than nest... Only suckers and fools by into nest advertising..... But again it seems like you just want to convince yourself that you made the right decision... The fact that Nest suckered many people doesn't make it a good idea...
I don't own a Nest, nor Reolink. The only 2 cameras I own are Hikvision. So I'm not sure what you mean?

automaton

n3wb
Reaction score
You are promoting them.... complete shit.
I'm not promoting them at all. I'm not sure if you read my comment?

I said they have amazing sales because they make it very easy to purchase, setup and use. And I'd love to see some other (good) vendors do the same to beat them.

Not sure where this hostility is coming from?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not promoting them at all. I'm not sure if you read my comment?

I said they have amazing sales because they make it very easy to purchase, setup and use. And I'd love to see some other (good) vendors do the same to beat them.

Not sure where this hostility is coming from?
They have amazing sales because they have good advertising campaigns and their customers are dumb and stupid. There is a stupid tax you need to pay if you want to be lazy and not do any research.

automaton

n3wb
Reaction score
They have amazing sales because they have good advertising campaigns and their customers are dumb and stupid. There is a stupid tax you need to pay if you want to be lazy and not do any research.
I mean, I guess this is what I am disagreeing with. I don't think most people are necessarily "dumb" and "stupid." I think they have a life, a life outside of IP cams. They want something that will work. Their research takes them to Amazon, or online review articles, all of which say that Nest and such are great. It may not necessarily take them here, which is most certainly a very expert hobbiest forum.

It's like asking someone to understand exactly how an ICE engine works before buying a car. Sure that would be ideal, but most people have lives and just want something that is "good." So they go by the reviews that are easy to find, they pick a few options and yes, perhaps even get bought into the marketing.

If Dahua or Hikvision rolled an actual easy to use solution (non-cloud based) with a proper power supply, mount, screws, maybe a small ethernet cable and a proper manual that isn't in broken English I think they might be able to make a better run at the largest segment of the market - the casual people.

Instead right now the only 2 choices are: "crap" (as you call it) which can be bought and setup in a few minutes, or "good" product which requires hours of research, potentially a contractor or the ability to run wires through walls.

There's nothing in the middle.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I mean, I guess this is what I am disagreeing with. I don't think most people are necessarily "dumb" and "stupid." I think they have a life, a life outside of IP cams. They want something that will work. Their research takes them to Amazon, or online review articles, all of which say that Nest and such are great. It may not necessarily take them here, which is most certainly a very expert hobbiest forum.

It's like asking someone to understand exactly how an ICE engine works before buying a car. Sure that would be ideal, but most people have lives and just want something that is "good." So they go by the reviews that are easy to find, they pick a few options and yes, perhaps even get bought into the marketing.

If Dahua or Hikvision rolled an actual easy to use solution (non-cloud based) with a proper power supply, mount, screws, maybe a small ethernet cable and a proper manual that isn't in broken English I think they might be able to make a better run at the largest segment of the market - the casual people.

Instead right now the only 2 choices are: "crap" (as you call it) which can be bought and setup in a few minutes, or "good" product which requires hours of research, potentially a contractor or the ability to run wires through walls.

First of all Hikvision and are not in the business of selling to end users. In fact they actively try not to.
Second you are essentially asking for another Nest type system.. they cannot magically install wires in your house... A cloud connection is necessary for remote viewing...
Dahua has subsidiaries like Flir and Hikvision sells to third parties who do Market to end users... Those end-users take the time to learn the product and install...
Trust me they know the market better than you do and what will sell and what won't....

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
No more comments from me
Apparently I need a life
Cart racing,track days in the brz,modelmaking,airbrushing,wife,dog,family,grandchildren,helping friends,
Work,watching movies,learning new skills :(

automaton

n3wb
Reaction score
First of all Hikvision and are not in the business of selling to end users. In fact they actively try not to.
Second you are essentially asking for another Nest type system.. they cannot magically install wires in your house... A cloud connection is necessary for remote viewing...
Dahua has subsidiaries like Flir and Hikvision sells to third parties who do Market to end users... Those end-users take the time to learn the product and install...
Trust me they know the market better than you do and what will sell and what won't....
Yea that's true, I'm sort of in the middle. I don't want cloud, but I also don't really want the hassle. I'm sure Hikvision makes more on commercial sales than they ever would from residential.

No more comments from me
Apparently I need a life
Cart racing,track days in the brz,modelmaking,airbrushing,wife,dog,family,grandchildren,helping friends,
Work,watching movies,learning new skills :(
Haha well I meant more that many people don't have IP cams as a hobby, and if it's not a hobby / something you enjoy, you're not likely to have time to allocate to it (or want) because of "life" (i.e. the other stuff you do enjoy). Especially when it's a $100-200 purchase, don't usually want to spend hours of research for a smaller one like that.

Anyways, like I've been repeating, I'm glad this forum is here since it really helps navigate the confusing good grade cameras. Just wish the process from the vendors was easier to understand without a forum / knowledge in the sector specifically.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If I had to pick a wifi camera and insisted on ignoring the forums warnings:
6-22mm PTZ
2.8-12mm PTZ
Non PTZ
I have the last two. No problems so far.

Chris
oh god, please..Those cameras are the improx/huisun shit that was dumped on this site by scammers. They have a VERY high failure rate and should be avoided at all costs. Any camera can be made wifi with a cheap bridge and it will work 10x better than a cameras built in wifi.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...I guess this is what I am disagreeing with. I don't think most people are necessarily "dumb" and "stupid."...
I would have to agree with Fenderlicious; I find that most customers in my particular line of work want the easy way out, want to be told what they want to hear, assemble pre-conceived notions about what they want to purchase (notions which are generally wrong), believe the bullshit which accompanies the lowest prices and are too lazy to learn about what they want to purchase. I'd amend @fenderman's statement to include: "Dumb, stupid and lazy."

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I mean, ..

Hi Automaton,

They do provide that, it's just branded under their consumer brand or rebranded by other companies selling directly to consumers.

Example: Lorex ( now owned by Dahua ), Ezviz, LaView, Q-see, Amcrest, Swann,....

Numerous brands have complete kits available for consumers, often even includes the HDD as well as all the cables, manuals, screws,... everything to help make the kits easy to assemble.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
oh god, please..Those cameras are the improx/huisun shit that was dumped on this site by scammers. They have a VERY high failure rate and should be avoided at all costs. Any camera can be made wifi with a cheap bridge and it will work 10x better than a cameras built in wifi.
I agree about the camera housing, looks like the same camera that failed so many people (as reported on this site). The chipset and software is not the same as Improx/huisun. Time will tell if my money is/was wasted, I knew that when I bought them.

I know that wifi attitude has been said and repeated for a long time. With newer technology and a good wifi environment (non saturated signals) I believe a few wifi camera can work with little if no interruptions. I've been using three wifi cameras for half a year with out any problems that were related directly to the wifi.

Chris

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree about the camera housing, looks like the same camera that failed so many people (as reported on this site). The chipset and software is not the same as Improx/huisun. Time will tell if my money is/was wasted, I knew that when I bought them.

I know that wifi attitude has been said and repeated for a long time. With newer technology and a good wifi environment (non saturated signals) I believe a few wifi camera can work with little if no interruptions. I've been using three wifi cameras for half a year with out any problems that were related directly to the wifi.

Chris
all those cameras are no name junk that should be avoided.