I'm an idiot noob what faq do I read - set the wrong IP

adarm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey folks, I know this isnt going to go down well, appreciate the help in advance!

I listened to you well, I bought a dahua starlight camera - sd49225t-hn to be exact.

Its connected via a POE switch, I listed to you well for a second time, I changed my pc IP to 10.1.1.13 so to access my camera which was by default on 10.1.1.65. I then got excited, logged into my camera - saw the option to set an IP and thought I'd set the IP to something on 192.168.1.* , I was thinking that I could then access the camera from my normal network settings.

anyway...now i cant access the camera, any ideas what I do/read?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey folks, I know this isnt going to go down well, appreciate the help in advance!

I listened to you well, I bought a dahua starlight camera - sd49225t-hn to be exact.

Its connected via a POE switch, I listed to you well for a second time, I changed my pc IP to 10.1.1.13 so to access my camera which was by default on 10.1.1.65. I then got excited, logged into my camera - saw the option to set an IP and thought I'd set the IP to something on 192.168.1.* , I was thinking that I could then access the camera from my normal network settings.

anyway...now i cant access the camera, any ideas what I do/read?
Hi @adarm

Disconnect the switch from the router, connect your PC to the switch, change your PC to 192.168.1.* ( not the same as the camera, and not .1 or .255 ) - check your PC's ipconfig settings in the command prompt ( "dos" window, CMD ) - see that your PC took the ip address. Use ping 192.168.1.[camera ip] - should get a reply back, then try the Dahua config software to access the camera.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
from @looney2ns in another post today :

You know, the Configtool that Dahua provides on the CD disc that comes with the camera works just fine in initializing cams and changing IP's. Even when your PC is not on the same subnet as the default IP of the cams. No need to be changing computer IPs and the such.
Shockingly, there is also a manual on how to use Configtool, that is included in the Configtool program.

adarm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, thanks for your support

-> I didnt get a cd but I was smart enough to try all the software first, nothing found the camera (config tool, ipcameraviewer, ispy) which set me about setting my IP to 10.1.1.*

-> I connect to switch, set my IP to 192.168.1.*, it doesnt find camera,

-> i arp -av, with camera disconnected, I see no different devices to when the camera is connected. When i connect camera it spins around which is quite exciting.

-> I tried wireshark/advanced ip scanner, to me it looks like camera is still on 10.1.1.65, but alas, i cant find it there.

If i unscrew it all and find this reset button, is there a chance my camera goes into some chinese firmware disaster? I bought it off ebay, form UK cam firm (used for a few weeks) model number is above so I hope its genuine UK version

Thanks very much kind people

Adarm

ps FWIW, I got a really cool project going on here (farm + home automation) so hopefully I can be of use to the forum with new products/suggestions if I can get my first camera up!

adarm

n3wb
Reaction score
ARGHHHHHHHH it just appeared on IP Config, does it take a long time to load?!

Which RFQ / Posts do you recommend so to understand what just happened in my life and to be of use to other forum newbies going forward

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you're having problems finding the camera, one of the easiest things you can do is hold the reset button while you connect power to the camera and continue holding for about 30 seconds (sometimes it takes longer). That should put the camera back at it's default IP of 192.168.1.108

The reset button is inside the camera near the door with the microsd slot.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought it off ebay, form UK cam firm (used for a few weeks) model number is above so I hope its genuine UK version
The camera was likely used with an NVR if it is on a 10.*.*.* ip address. This also means it's likely the nvr set the camera's password to the nvr password, making a reset necessary.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Its connected via a POE switch
It's good that you said it spins around (ptz initialization) when it powers on, but for the sake of being through, what PoE switch are you using and what else is connected to it?

Yes the cameras are a bit slow to boot up, it's often a full 60-120 seconds before everything is online.

If i unscrew it all and find this reset button, is there a chance my camera goes into some chinese firmware disaster?
It's unlikely you have anything to worry about. You can see pictures of the reset button here in the pictures here: Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

Last edited: