Im lost and already spent thousands on junk

costly

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm frustrated and have already spent a few thousand on a wyze system and a lorex system. Both were wireless (mistake). Searching the web you get fed some of these highly marketed systems but from what I have concluded that doesn't mean its the best by any stretch. That leads me to this forum.

I don't want a cloud system. I like auto tracking. Hoping to get ~6 cameras. I'd like a lot of memory with CAT cables. I like the idea of being able to pull up my cameras on my TV so if I hear a bump in the night I can get situational awareness quickly. I want quality outdoor cameras that have a easy to use interface and will survive bad weather.

Any thoughts on best brands/total systems for sale? My research has failed me. I greatly appreciate your time and input.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm frustrated and have already spent a few thousand on a wyze system and a lorex system. Both were wireless (mistake). Searching the web you get fed some of these highly marketed systems but from what I have concluded that doesn't mean its the best by any stretch. That leads me to this forum.

I don't want a cloud system. I like auto tracking. Hoping to get ~6 cameras. I'd like a lot of memory with CAT cables. I like the idea of being able to pull up my cameras on my TV so if I hear a bump in the night I can get situational awareness quickly. I want quality outdoor cameras that have a easy to use interface and will survive bad weather.

Any thoughts on best brands/total systems for sale? My research has failed me. I greatly appreciate your time and input.
Welcome @costly

Many of us have done the same .. I did also try wireless and cloud and ..

a good wired IP PoE setup imho is the way to go for the core system .. perhaps put a couple of cloud cameras up to cover your front of the house for cloud alerts and the like .. I would repurpose your Wyze cameras to augment a good core IP PoE setup.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
No problem we are here to help! Read through it some, get some "edumakation" HAVE FUN here
and do not feel like an outsider! You have come to a place with a "direct connection" to some
of the best high-end consumer/professional grade equipment and a reputable seller in Andy!

A lot of us here were in the same place and received a life boat of info here!

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Many of us here have been through your experience. Since you’re willing to go to the effort of running cable, you’re on the right track. Favored cameras are Dahua (or Loryta brand on Amazon) 5422 series in turret or bullet formats. Then connect them to a PC running Blue Iris software or an NVR. From there, you can do other integrations if you wish. When I heat something, I just hit a shortcut on iPad and can see all my cameras within 2-3 seconds, without accessing the Internet.

Hope this helps you decide where to focus your research.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the club.

See this thread that lists the most commonly suggested camera based on distance to IDENTIFY. These are what many of us believe represent the best overall value in terms of price and performance day and night.

One camera cannot be the be all, see all. Don't chase megapixels. Chase sensor size. Many feel 4MP is more than enough for most applications.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

I did a lot of research, read a lot here, asked a bunch of questions and followed (95%) of the advice I was provided recognizing the smart people here know way more than I.

My system consist of Blue Iris on a dedicated home built PC, six Dahua/Empire Tech cams currently mounted in use, 100% happy after over two years of continuous use. My one mistake was ignoring the advice on buying a bigger switch than you need. I bought a 5 port switch as I knew I would never:rolleyes: need more than 4 cams and I outgrew my original switch. I have four additional cams purchased but unmounted.

Buy BI from the IPCamtalk store, look at EmpireTech for Dahua rebrands. The IPCamtalk store also sells cams.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You guys are awesome! I will educate myself so I can ask informed questions to solicit some opinions, if you don't mind. Really appreciate the warm welcome and information all of you are sharing.
The most important part of setting up a good IP PoE system is the cabling, and running the cables to good locations.

Cameras, eventually you will replace them .. as well as the switch / nvr / pc .. the cabling, if you've done a good job you can reuse repeatedly

See the DORI section of the cliff notes and understand the importance of effective pixels on target ..

Last edited:

BelMa

n3wb
Reaction score
As recorder, the BlueIris/WindowsPC combo is really good, lot of people uses it here, and it's cheap.

If you prefer something more simple to configure & manage but still very solid, I would recommend a Synology NAS as alternative. Licences are expensive, about $50 for each camera from the 3th on (first 2 are free) but the software is really nice and well maintained, the initial setup is very easy, runs for months without issues, and -best of all- has superb desktop Win & Mac clients as well as very good iOS and Android apps to see/review footage, even remotely.

As suggested, EmpireTech / Dahua cameras are the way to go, specially the recent models that have IVS & SMD, like the one mentioned by Looney.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I could have made the same mistake you and others made but fortunately I stumbled across this forum just as I was starting to evaluated those Sam's Club and Costco IP cam packages they sell. Very quickly I was pointed toward Blue Iris and cams sold by EmpireTech. I haven't looked back and am very, very happy I followed their advice. Many, many thanks to all the knowledgeable members on this forum.

Last edited: