Indoor camera advice

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know what you're doing to configure it, but I sure didn't enable any cloud accounts for mine. Just went in through it's IP address, initially assigned by DHCP, and configured it the way I wanted it from the admin account.

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting, I don't have any DHCP server on the network, I can try adding a DHCP server and see what it does. I talked to Annke and they said that would not work and the doc's don't mention it doing a DHCP request.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
worked for me is all I can say. If it is connecting the network it has an address so all you'd need to do is change your PC address to the same subnet, temporarily, use the admin tool, configure it and set everything back to normal. Either way, you don't need to use that cloud crap to get it going.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are making this too hard.
Use the reset button on the back of it to reset to defaults.
Use the SADP tool that came on the CD with the cam to find it.
The default IP is 192.0.0.64.
No cloud garbage needed.

n3wb
Reaction score
You had to use some extra tool to configure it? No built-in webserver or such on the camera?

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, I plugged it back in and tried pinging that IP from one on that subnet. Got nothing. I assume whatever came on the CD is Windows only stuff. I don't run Windows anywhere so I would have to setup a VM and make routing to it from the security network work. Would be a bit complex.

$ ping 192.0.0.64 -c 5
PING 192.0.0.64 (192.0.0.64) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.0.0.1 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.0.0.1 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.0.0.1 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.0.0.1 icmp_seq=4 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.0.0.1 icmp_seq=5 Destination Host Unreachable

--- 192.0.0.64 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 received, +5 errors, 100% packet loss, time 4052ms
pipe 4

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't run Windows anywhere so I would have to setup a VM and make routing to it from the security network work. Would be a bit complex.
You don't need to route a VM - you can just sit it on the same segment as the host. Plenty of choices for the mode of the network virtual interface.
You had to use some extra tool to configure it? No built-in webserver or such on the camera?
It's just a broadcast-based search / config tool that allows network and password configuration so you can access the web GUI without altering the host to get at it.
Depending on the firmware - 192.168.1.64 may be the default IP address.

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you use the reset button when you plugged it back in?
Yeah, anything special I need to do? I tried pressing it and pressing and holding. Do I need to hold it when I plug it in? I am using POE if that matters, I can grab the wall wort if needed. I can see it asking for DHCP with a tcpdump so I may just need to drop a DHCP server on the network with it.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know if it'll default to an IP address if it's looking for DHCP to assign one. Enable a DHCP server if you can and get this over with.

n3wb
Reaction score
Well that was easy, I setup dnsmasq and it grabbed and IP. I was able to connect and it asked me to assign an admin password. Why did they not just say to plug into a DHCP enabled network let it grab and IP and login in the "Quick Start Guide" rather then telling you to go do a song and dance with apps, accounts, and more?

Glad I posted here before sending it back, I asked the support person straight up if it would use DHCP if I put a DHCP server on the network and she said no. Time to go send her some learning!

The same RTSP stream as my Dahua cameras even works.

Thanks!

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad it worked out! I think they assume that everyone has DHCP enabled on their routers. We all know what happens when you "assume". If you look around here for Annke threads you'll find specific BI settings that work really well. I had a link, but can't find it at the moment, maybe I'll get a minute later, find it and post it for you.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I looked for a while and, of course, couldn't find the specific post I was looking for. In another thread though, Fenderman said to use the "2CD" setting from the Hikivison dropdown when setting it up in BI. I used that and it works fine for me.