Initial setup: overkill for nursery monitoring?

Corbett

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm seeking to install my first ~2 cameras in my house. The first is to be in the nursery, while the other would be in the core of the house (likely in a kitchen, facing inward to view the kitchen and living room area). I have a PoE Ubiquiti 8 port switch that these will run off of, and I plan to use my Synology 218+ to house the video. I said 'first 2' cameras because I could potentially see adding a third camera to look out over the back patio (outdoors, but a covered porch). My experience with IP cams is old and limited: just an ancient Foscam from many years ago that I used to spy on my sneaky dogs (puppies then, trying to figure out who was destroying the dog bed!).

My questions:
* I am wondering about the capabilities/user friendliness/etc of the Synology cam software (I realize there is additional license once I go beyond 2 cameras) vs. the Ubiquiti software (...perhaps vs. third party)
* Bullet vs. dome..is there any reason I'd choose one over the other for indoor locations like this?
* I'm wondering about the current generation Ubiquiti cameras versus the zillion competitors (Hikvision, etc). It might be nice to be able to manage the Ubiquiti cams via the UBNT cloud controller...but if the UBNT video software is way inferior, maybe it's not worth it for that plus.
* Is there any real use for H.265 streams yet? The more compressed video for the same quality seems appealing, but I thought I'd read somewhere that most browsers do not yet include H.265 decoding yet anyway.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome Corbett,

The Hikvision OEM Cube rebranded by Annke is a popular camera for indoors by many people here. You may want to look for that thread, iirc it was going for about $50-60 USD.

Members are also reporting on the Dahua IPC A35 which appears to also be well liked, so look for reviews on that one here.

Remember to take a look at the notes Giomania has assembled from the various information we've been sharing here, lots of good info in there.
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk