Installing ethernet wire from 14-foot eaves soffit to 8-foot camera height

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Two stills/"snapshots" to share out of BI, a night shot and the same frame in daylight.
Top third /left third corner of shot is arrival, so this location may call for a long lens camera.
Top right corner of shot shows an eave just making it into frame, that has ethernet wire and is another camera location.

Everything on BI is still at defaults, and best as I recall, cam also at defaults.

Daylight pics are mesmerizing. However, based on input here, I realize that I need to think night conditions.

Other than distant light, immediate conditions at my site are dark

So I need to be thinking cameras that are suitable for very low light.

Attachments

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here are some pics from another thread showing the aluminum stock.

Drilling holes into soffit big enough for waterproof connectors
Thought I'd get some ideas on what y'all are doing to drill a hole large enough for the waterproof RJ45 connector shells. Did you find that the waterproof shells are 3/4" in diameter and if so I'm assuming you are using a hole saw to cut the hole. I'm hoping a 3/4" hole saw takes out enough to...

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Three photos to share related to soffit.

First shows two holes in the soffit. Original hole through which the romex and ethernet were in a romex connector together in one exterior box, and the new hole through which I pulled the ethernet cable

Second shows second exterior junction box around the ethernet cable hole, thinking the camera would mount to that box. At the time, I had not found my way here. The condition of the ethernet cable which until a few days ago was "inside" suggests to me that I'd better keep it in a box.

Third shows an aluminum profile I happen to have laying around. Flat aluminum stock could slide in there, with stop screws at either end. Perhaps a different profile with a shallower drop would be better. A longer section could even serve as a rail to slide the camera along.
Slide track - part Part# EAM-2420 may work, or something like that

Attachments

Last edited:

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here are some pics from another thread showing the aluminum stock.

Drilling holes into soffit big enough for waterproof connectors
Thought I'd get some ideas on what y'all are doing to drill a hole large enough for the waterproof RJ45 connector shells. Did you find that the waterproof shells are 3/4" in diameter and if so I'm assuming you are using a hole saw to cut the hole. I'm hoping a 3/4" hole saw takes out enough to...
Could try a spade bit, aka paddle bit. For larger holes, a hole saw may be useful. Also depends on material you are sawing through and condition of bit.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, seeing your soffit, you are probably better off using a junction box and then if you get a camera that needs a different box, then try to align the new junction box up with some of the holes to minimize.

OR another option is to use a universal box like this from a Home Depot or Lowes. And then just get a new face plate once you have drilled too many holes in it.

I have used one of these in a location where I am constantly testing out different cams and it works very well and eliminates the need of countless holes or changing junction boxes.

1677202458360.png

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I like that. Happen to have one of those laying around except it has four ears. I prefer the two ears in the image you attached. Those may even match the holes for the round box I had put in, after tapping in plastic anchors into the soffit. Thanks.

Just checked - Holes on the round two-ear align with diagonally-across holes on the four-ear box I happen to have at hand.

Attachments

Last edited:

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No crawl space above garage? Must have if the other camera is up there. I would try drilling down between the wall and push a fish stick through the insulation and string and try to snag it in a hole with a wire like coat hanger and the camera will cover the hole. Did a couple like that, takes time but can be done

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I like that. Happen to have one of those laying around except it has four ears. I prefer the two ears in the image you attached. Those may even match the holes for the round box I had put in, after tapping in plastic anchors into the soffit. Thanks.

Just checked - Holes on the round two-ear align with diagonally-across holes on the four-ear box I happen to have at hand.
I usually break the ears off with plyers and screw boxes through the back of the box into the surface

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@ron351 Snipping/breaking off the ears would sure make for a neater install.
At the time not knowing that there are camera boxes, I installed a metal exterior junction box at my first location.
So I was looking for a way to use the same holes with anchors for a box better suited for camera swaps.
I'll likely just leave stainless steel screws in those holes and proceed with suitable boxes.

It would be messy and a pain to get the existing wire down though it can be done, and that is only one of several locations.
The existing wire went in during construction when everything was open.
Current plan is to install overview cameras at that height.
If I follow up with more cameras, I'll in any case need additional wire runs, and will install them inside and come out just where needed.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have used the 12" boxes and enough room to put a poe switch in it and mounted 3 cameras to get all around view and ethernet cables from camers reach right into the poe switch. Makes easy install of multiple cameras. Just a thought.pole2.jpg

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice job.
Got to get power there if putting in a switch.
Nothing beats having known a lot more up-front, running many more ethernet runs to many locations and to many heights, when there was the opportunity. Next time ...

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice job.
Got to get power there if putting in a switch.
Nothing beats having known a lot more up-front, running many more ethernet runs to many locations and to many heights, when there was the opportunity. Next time ...
You have power to the lights if they turn on by light sensor there should be constant power before the sensor, tap off that.