Installing in LA - some starting questions

CaliBear

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey there, I've been reading the cliff notes and several threads, but I'm still trying to sort everything out! I just installed some mini split AC by myself but this seems more complicated!

I live in a quiet neighborhood but the new neighbors are genuinely from hell, so I decided to set up some cameras - in their latest exploit they almost burnt down my house because they are too dumb to use fireworks, and they had to call the firefighters.

Initially I thought I could run ethernet through the soffit vents, but I'm not sure it's up to code, and also I was reading that it's perhaps not a good idea as the cable would be exposed to the weather even under the soffit. So I was thinking to just go into the attic and hopefully I can walk my way over the fiberglass insulation without falling through the ceiling, and I can drill a hole through the soffit.

Am I OK installing without weatherproof junction boxes, attaching the cameras under the soffit? I was reading this thread Point to Junction Boxes for Soffit Mount? about condensation in the attic, but in CA it's generally pretty hot and dry. I'm renting so I'll probably only stay here a few more years (maybe 2-3).

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, my general setup should be something like:

about 8 cameras (I'm thinking Dahua) - each camera connected by cat5e (or 6) to a PoE switch (preferably active?) with at least 8 ports.

The PoE switch should also have another ethernet port to connect to my PC (running blue iris), or alternatively to a NVR. The PoE will also connect to a wall outlet for electrical power. Is it OK to have the PoE switch in the attic and wire through the ceiling into the living room, both the ethernet cable (to the PC) and the power cable to the outlet?

I will have to setup firewall rules to block the cameras IP. It's also highly suggested I activate a VPN for inbound traffic (I'm still trying to figure this out, as to whether it would slow down my other broadband uses).

I will need an ethernet cable crimper (I saw the ipcamtalk one on amazon), and I saw cable and RJ45 plugs at monoprice. It seems I'll also need dielectric grease and silicone tape. Do I need a cable tester?

Planning for about 8 cameras and having a powerful PC, I was thinking to install Blue Iris on my PC, and turn it off when I'm home and need to use the computer, with the option of putting together a 2nd PC specifically for the cameras, if I find out I need it (I build my own computers).

Thanks for reading and for any help!

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @CaliBear

Since you are renting and only planning to be there 2-3 years, I would run the cable out of the soffit vents to the cameras.
A little paint on the cable will go a long way to protect the cable from UV exposure for the duration of your stay ;)

If you feel someone may cut the cables, you can run a PVC conduit to a junction box from the soffit vent to the camera.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Drill hole in soffit so that one of these will fit and no bigger. https://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-540-15-Glo-Stix-15-Feet/dp/B000FBCY9E/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=klein+fish+rod&qid=1562618024&s=gateway&sr=8-5&th=1

With a helper, push the rod into the attic through the hole in the soffit, attach cable to end of rod in attic.
Have helper pull the rod back out along with the cable.
Use a junction box for each camera, so you can keep the hole small and easy to repair when you leave.
Use the IPC/Camera Configuration - Dahua Wiki to see what you need to cover the areas you want.
Don't put the POE switch in the attic, it won't survive long.
Plan your work, then work your plan.

These are hard to beat.
With audio: Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE | IP Cam Talk
Without Audio: Review-dahua-ipc-hdw2231rp-zs-starlight-camera-varifocal

Don't build for BI, see here: Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk
How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CaliBear

n3wb
Reaction score
I already have a flexible fishtape from when I built the AC : )

Don't put the POE switch in the attic, it won't survive long.
How would I route all the cat cable then, should I bring each individual cable from each camera into a closet or a room with the PoE switch?

Thanks for the links!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

How would I route all the cat cable then, should I bring each individual cable from each camera into a closet or a room with the PoE switch?

Thanks for the links!
Hi CaliBear,

I would do that. As it gets hot in attics I would try not to place any equipment there.

I would bring it to a closet, laundry area maybe, which is potentially partially vented. Use a section of PVC pipe ( maybe 1.5" ) to route the cable into the closet and close it up with duct seal ( example Gardner Bender 1 lb. Plug Duct Seal Compound-DS-110 - The Home Depot )

This way if you need to you can more easily seal it up when you go as normally less issues with closet ceilings needing to look perfect.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Thanks for the links!
But the fiberglass rods will stay stiff, and easy to direct much more so than a fishtape.

CaliBear

n3wb
Reaction score
Speaking of Dahua, any reason I should get the IPC-HDW2231R-ZS for $130 instead of the IPC-HDBW4433R-ZS for $90? They seem to have kind of similar stats (including same IR view distance?), but the cheaper model has 4 MP. Does the $130 have a better sensor at night time?

this is the $90 camera: https://www.amazon.com/Dahua-IPC-HDBW4433R-ZS-Varifocal-2-7mm-13-5mm-Surveillance/dp/B07C5QVZTQ/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ENNM1W5ZMG691VFDFY33

is it because this could be a hacked camera?

Nick M

n3wb
Reaction score
Its likely a Chinese market camera with English language firmware installed.

It's a get what you pay for thing...$90 but no support, mfg warranty or firmware updates. The $40 buys you some piece of mind.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its likely a Chinese market camera with English language firmware installed.

It's a get what you pay for thing...$90 but no support, mfg warranty or firmware updates. The $40 buys you some piece of mind.
It's much more than just peace of mind... The $90 camera has a crappy 1/3 sensor... It will do poorly at night... Not to mention the dome issues..