Installing over stucco with tyvek homewrap

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have to rely on RDP or any other remote desktop software, then it wouldn't be running in the "background" per se.

I'm not trying to argue the merits of one vs another, I'm just pointing out an example of what I mean by headless.

I'm not an expert, that's why I'm here asking questions :) Though I would argue that, as a general rule, virtualization offers more in the way of stability as it can guarantee higher uptime if implemented correctly. For example, it's much easier to recover from a hardware fault without suffering any kind of outage.

And speaking of outage, it makes more sense for me to stick to a virtual machine running on my existing hardware as it is already UPS backed. Adding another computer for just one application, even if the other computer is low power, will make my UPS not last as long in the event of a power loss.

Currently my UPS is able to keep my servers, my Cisco switch, and anything connected to them powered for 30 minutes in the event of a total power loss. Adding another computer will clip more time off of that, so it's something I'd prefer to avoid.
Again, you failed to read what I wrote. Blue iris allows you to use another copy of BI as a FULL remote client. Its as if you are sitting at the remote machine.
The added processor consumption will increase the load on your UPS regardless. Modern efficient pc's users only 6-7w at idle, the rest is cpu load.
Another thing to consider is that you dont need a ups backup at all.

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Again, you failed to read what I wrote. Blue iris allows you to use another copy of BI as a FULL remote client. Its as if you are sitting at the remote machine.
The added processor consumption will increase the load on your UPS regardless. Modern efficient pc's users only 6-7w at idle, the rest is cpu load.
Another thing to consider is that you dont need a ups backup at all.
Well there's want and there's need. Presently, having security cameras is more of a want as I'm not exactly in a high crime neighborhood. Much in the same as wanting (and having) a UPS. In either case, there's a lot more efficiency to be had from running fewer components. Sure it may have a low TDP while idle, but we're not expecting to remain idle very much. The mere use of an additional power supply alone is wasteful, and we're also not getting into an additional northbridge, southbridge, etc. Paravirtualization is also a big win here as we're also even eliminating the additional processing overhead while the additional hardware is not idle.

Reaction score
Here is our setup which if I recall cost all of about 600. I use tightVNC to access the computer which is an i7-6600. It is sitting in a closet and running headless.

47E3B813-B73D-4C43-BE95-18110E769946.jpeg