Insurance Fraud Outside My Home

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Why is it that media outlets constantly trumpet any issue of gun violence EXCEPT when it really is a good guy with a gun stopping a bad guy with a gun? (Rhetorical question)
Probably because they don't want citizens able to stand up to the state combined with some aspects of public safety that could be addressed by having sensible rules around ownership checks and safe keeping.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Wait, criminals follow the law now?

Ownership checks?
So you'd be quite happy to have your psychotic neighbour who hears voices in his head that tell him what to do and believes you are the devil and he must kill your children with an AR15?

Would you be happy to have him with a sniper rifle overlooking your yard where your little devils play?

Checks can be sensible and there's stupid.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
So you'd be quite happy to have your psychotic neighbour who hears voices in his head that tell him what to do and believes you are the devil and he must kill your children with an AR15?
Thats already illegal here

The problem is, how do you have these ownership checks? You would first have to force registration of all firearms, and of course criminals will laugh and not do it. Then you would have to have illegal searches of every home with a gun. Both the registration and the searches are pretty clear violations of the US constitution

Also now you also have a full list of gun owners, the government inevitably will leak it at some point because they are useless, which will lead to everyone's names addresses and what gun they own. Oh awesome, now if you're a criminal you know exactly who to target for all the expensive guns. And worse yet, now when the government wants to step on our rights even further, they know exactly who has guns

If a law like that came in, I would just laugh and not register. So you can see how well it would work

Also, who does the constitutionally illegal search of an angry gun owner who knows his rights are being violated? I'm not volunteering for that job.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't you already have background checks for handguns in many States?

How do you rule out mentally ill people getting guns? You say it's illegal but euqally say you don't have checks. How do you know if someone is psychotic without background checks?

The UK is much less free and yes the Police know who has guns, but over here everyone is background checked by MI5 (CIA) for terrorist associations and everyone's medic is contacted to ascertain if you have any medical conditions likely to affect your suitability - note the doctor cannot give an opinion nor can he disclose medical records, all he does is simply disclose any entries that may be relevent eg any time he's been contacted about depression, anxiety etc. He discloses the dates of contact and any entry on the record eg X attended today feeling depressed, or X attended and said he was suicidal. It's then for the authorities to decide or get an opionion on whether or not someone is suitable based on the severity of anything disclosed and whether it was transient or in the past.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't you already have background checks for handguns in many States?
Yes, but that's it. A Background check. Doing a background check doesn't mean you own a gun, it means you passed a NIC background check. There is no serial number or ownership associated with that

Since I have a LTC, I have only ever done a single background check in my life. As having a valid LTC proves I'm not a criminal (Or mentally ill etc)

The UK is much less free and yes the Police know who has guns, but over here everyone is background checked by MI5 (CIA) for terrorist associations and everyone's medic is contacted to ascertain if you have any medical conditions likely to affect your suitability - note the doctor cannot give an opinion nor can he disclose medical records, all he does is simply disclose any entries that may be relevent eg any time he's been contacted about depression, anxiety etc. He discloses the dates of contact and any entry on the record eg X attended today feeling depressed, or X attended and said he was suicidal. It's then for the authorities to decide or get an opionion on whether or not someone is suitable based on the severity of anything disclosed and whether it was transient or in the past.
The philosophies of the US and UK are very different. The 2nd amendment is protected here so you can go up against a tyrannical government. If you ask that government permission to own firearms, it makes the entire thing pointless as they would then just deny everyone

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@CCTVCam And you chose that someone else knowing more about what is right for you than you do. Fine. I believe I want to control myself, not others, for the "good of society". Two things have killed more people through out history than everything else combined. Religious battles is one. Human greed is the other. And most religious battles are probably most driven by human greed and desire for control, under the mantle of "good for society". Can you find me a single dictator that, at some point, didn't do things for the good of society?

What is the best form of government? Benevolent dictatorship. Why? Because there is no red tape, no back and forth, just clear direction. Unfortunately, humans screw this up with greed and loyalty. This is visible in ALL forms of government. Every single government in the world has major screw ups in terms of bending to major corporations, donors, individuals, whatever. In the US, I KNOW it is rampant. I have ZERO interest in allowing those folks, folks with other influences, to control me and my life, anymore than they already do.

And I'm not concerned about the neighbor with the AR-15, a knife or a baseball bat. I can assure you that you are more concerned with the neighbor with the illegal knife than I am about a neighbor with a gun. You have no mechanism to protect yourself, your wife, your kids. We do. I am responsible for my safety. Period. The police help, they have NO DUTY to protect, regardless of what they all have printed on the sides of the cars.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, but that's it. A Background check. Doing a background check doesn't mean you own a gun, it means you passed a NIC background check. There is no serial number or ownership associated with that
Considering you wouldn't require a background check unless you were acquiring a gun, it's pretty safe to assume you and your address is flagged as owning or likely possessing a firearm. There's no such thing as anonymity when you've given government agents your name and address so they can check your background.

And I'm not concerned about the neighbor with the AR-15, a knife or a baseball bat. I can assure you that you are more concerned with the neighbor with the illegal knife than I am about a neighbor with a gun. You have no mechanism to protect yourself, your wife, your kids. We do. I am responsible for my safety. Period. The police help, they have NO DUTY to protect, regardless of what they all have printed on the sides of the cars.
Even the neighbour who's psychotic? I'd be concerned about them. A psychotic nutter with an AR15 who's had no background checks on his stability is far more of a danger to me than my friendly law obiding neighbour with knives in his kitchen.

I'm all for the freedom of owning a gun. However, your point my neighbour owns knives is irrelevent in a country where crime is very low amongst non criminals. A lot of the crime you hear about with knives is gang on gang crime, not innocent people. Even then, when it's robberies, more often than not it's London which is a cest pit of crime and gangs on some estates. The rest of the country has very low rates of armed crime against innocent people. There's more chance of being struck by lightening or winning the lottery over here than being shot or stabbed if you're not a criminal outside of London. Even in London, the majority will never have been threatened or know anyone who has.

In over 50 years of living where I do, the worst crime in my neighbourhood is someone wrote a single graffiti tag on a nearby wall, and that's happened once in 50 yrs. Every other wall is clean and always has been. There has been the odd burglary nearby, but never an attempt on mine nor a home invasion which practically doesn't exist. The closest crime we have to home invasion is burglary and our burglars aren't usually armed, avoid houses when people are in them and if caught will flee rather than confront.

Our Police respond with firearms quickly when needed as seen in the earlier videos posted above as we have armed areas cars on the road 24/7. However, with home invasion practically non existent in the UK, and violent crime almost unheard of outside some dodgy inner city estates predominately in London, we have very little to fear about a lack of means of self defence.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
safe to assume you and your address is flagged as owning or likely possessing a firearm
I live in Texas, it would be safe to assume any single family home has a firearm inside.

where crime is very low amongst non criminals
:wtf:

Yeah, stabbing rates are also 0 with non knife owners, and shootings are 0 with non-gun owners

Our crime rates here in Houston are through the roof compared to the UK, but also with most being gang-on-gang. I lived in the UK, and I feel safer walking through my crappy neighborhood here in Houston than a lot of places over there (Staines, Stanwell then later on Acomb)

Here in general, groups of chavs (I don't know what to call the equal here) will never come up to you mess with you, it doesn't really happen. I assume a lot of it is demographics (After all, crime trends trend as they always do even with gun/knife legislation) but I can't help but think that part of it is that you don't know who is armed

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Would you be happy to have him with a sniper rifle overlooking your yard where your little devils play?

Checks can be sensible and there's stupid.

Do you mean the State Police coming in to check like this .. where the State Police visit everyone ..

1635901118423.png

1635901061803.png

ref:

oh, and this one is always fun .. Police checking in on people at home to see if they went to a protest based on a facebookie post ..

Australian Police Knock On Man's Door With Facebook Post Printed Out, Asking If He Went To A Protest

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Considering you wouldn't require a background check unless you were acquiring a gun, it's pretty safe to assume you and your address is flagged as owning or likely possessing a firearm. There's no such thing as anonymity when you've given government agents your name and address so they can check your background.
It's a pretty safe bet that there is not a database of "gun owners" in most states, as it would be over 50% of the homes, and damned near everyone in some state, like Texas.

Even the neighbour who's psychotic? I'd be concerned about them. A psychotic nutter with an AR15 who's had no background checks on his stability is far more of a danger to me than my friendly law obiding [sic] neighbour with knives in his kitchen.
Yep, even nut job. Not worried. You should be more worried about the neighbors kid three streets over that gets involved in drugs, and has gotten a slap on the wrist three times and let go. Then he goes bonkers and decides you have cash and comes to get it at 3:00 am. It hasn't happened in your neighborhood...yet. It could. See, I plan for such contingencies. You don't. That is why I'm not worried and sleep just fine.

I'm all for the freedom of owning a gun.
Let me rephrase that for you, including what you left out:
I'm all for limited gun ownership, as approved by my over lords, and with guns registered with them, so they may come and take them on a whim.

See, the government, every government, can't be trusted. Not yours, not mine, none. You trust them I don't.

However, your point my neighbour owns knives is irrelevent in a country where crime is very low amongst non criminals. A lot of the crime you hear about with knives is gang on gang crime, not innocent people. Even then, when it's robberies, more often than not it's London which is a cest pit of crime and gangs on some estates. The rest of the country has very low rates of armed crime against innocent people. There's more chance of being struck by lightening or winning the lottery over here than being shot or stabbed if you're not a criminal outside of London. Even in London, the majority will never have been threatened or know anyone who has.

In over 50 years of living where I do, the worst crime in my neighbourhood is someone wrote a single graffiti tag on a nearby wall, and that's happened once in 50 yrs. Every other wall is clean and always has been. There has been the odd burglary nearby, but never an attempt on mine nor a home invasion which practically doesn't exist. The closest crime we have to home invasion is burglary and our burglars aren't usually armed, avoid houses when people are in them and if caught will flee rather than confront.

Our Police respond with firearms quickly when needed as seen in the earlier videos posted above as we have armed areas cars on the road 24/7. However, with home invasion practically non existent in the UK, and violent crime almost unheard of outside some dodgy inner city estates predominately in London, we have very little to fear about a lack of means of self defence.
Yeah, about crime by non-criminals...kind of an oxymoron, isn't it? Everyone is a non-criminal at some point in their life. Armed police are in every city and town in the US 24 hours per day. My town, of 5,000 people, has at least two officers on duty at night. Armed with handguns and shot guns. They may also have AR-15s. Can't tell you the last time they used them. But, they take minutes, at least, to arrive. It takes seconds to slice your throat, or smash your brains out with a hammer. You take your approach, I'll take mine.

We can agree to disagree, as long as you keep your ideas on your side, and don't try and come to my side when the crime rates rise, and bring your failed ideas to mine. Kind of like my neighbors who left New York due to uncontrolled crime. Damned LGB supporters...

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Our crime rates here in Houston are through the roof compared to the UK, but also with most being gang-on-gang. I lived in the UK, and I feel safer walking through my crappy neighborhood here in Houston than a lot of places over there (Staines, Stanwell then later on Acomb)
So bascially London area. Therein lies your issue. Very few issues further North except on poor inner city estates and even then you're unlikley to be a victim unless in a gang.

Do you mean the State Police coming in to check like this .. where the State Police visit everyone ..
Doesn't happen Matt because of our privacy laws. It might suprise you to know people here rarelty get a visit if not popping up on the Police Computer as doing anything they shouldn't nor as having any adverse medical conditions that have worsened t the point of calling into question suitability. I know someone with a licence, they've had 2 visits in 20 years. Both visits were at renewal witha very polite knock on the door from a single plain clothes officer, can I come in and have a quick chat about your renewal. They sit down for 5 mins, ask a few questions to check you're sane and then leave,

It's a pretty safe bet that there is not a database of "gun owners" in most states, as it would be over 50% of the homes, and damned near everyone in some state, like Texas.
I'd be pretty surprised if you didn't have a database, even if it's unofficial. Any information surrended to the authorites is likely to be retained and used.

The only difference between your background checks and ours, is ours are more thorough and cover all weapons not just handguns (although handguns have been banned for a long time other than for 1 or 2 small exceptions).

I personally have no issue with ownership for self defence, so long as background checks are maintained and the rules on self defence are better defined than they are now in the UK which is so vague, no-one really knows what they are leaving everyone at risk of prosecution even if you legally own a gun currently and someone breaks in. Plenty of examples over here of prosecutions.

Equally,, I have no issue with ownership in the US. I do think your background checks and safekeeping rules could assist you in avoiding some incidents.