Integrate coax video from door entry to Hikvision IP NVR ?

JB_888

n3wb
Reaction score
We've got an existing c. 10 year old analog coax door entry system made by Elvox.

From what i can see the outdoor door entry camera video signal is sent over coax to the control box and then the control box links to the internal monitor. The control (eg. door release) seems to be controlled by some twisted pair cables or a flex.

We're also putting in a Hikvision IP system using a DS-7608NI-K2/8P NVR.

Would it be possible to branch the video from the coax of the door entry monitor and then put it into some sort of modulator / transformer / so that we could run the signal over cat6 and put it as an input into the NVR ?

If so what kit would be required ?

JB_888

n3wb
Reaction score
you could use a converter but a the quality would be poor at best and then the cost, you would be better fitting a new camera at the door above the door entry

if you really want the analogue video in the NVR have a reed of this How to Turn Analog CCTV Cameras into IP Security Cameras
Thanks @copex

When you say the quality would be poor at best, would the quality be the same as what is being delivered currently to the indoor video entry monitor ? Or would i degrade further ?

I would guess the current picture quality on the indoor video monitor is some where between 480 and 720p (obviously its neither of those as its an analog signal, but visually thats what it is equivalent to).

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @copex

When you say the quality would be poor at best, would the quality be the same as what is being delivered currently to the indoor video entry monitor ? Or would i degrade further ?

I would guess the current picture quality on the indoor video monitor is some where between 480 and 720p (obviously its neither of those as its an analog signal, but visually thats what it is equivalent to).
the door entry my be 480 could possibly be less, depends on the screen size the video is displayed on, so the image quality will depend on how much the video is been stretched, and the quality of the hardware used to convert the video.
it will be like you have taken a picture at low restitution and stretched it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We've got an existing c. 10 year old analog coax door entry system made by Elvox.

From what i can see the outdoor door entry camera video signal is sent over coax to the control box and then the control box links to the internal monitor. The control (eg. door release) seems to be controlled by some twisted pair cables or a flex.

We're also putting in a Hikvision IP system using a DS-7608NI-K2/8P NVR.

Would it be possible to branch the video from the coax of the door entry monitor and then put it into some sort of modulator / transformer / so that we could run the signal over cat6 and put it as an input into the NVR ?

If so what kit would be required ?
if you want a nice hd image, replace the camera with a cheap tvi 1080p camera, they are cheap. Then use a cheap hikvision like this 80 dollar unit (less via ali)
Hikvision Turbo Series 4-Channel 1080p HD-TVI DVR DS-7204HGHI-SH
you can then display the hd image locally and stream from the DVR to the NVR.
A

FrankMCN

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Google 'IP over Coax' or 'Ethernet over Coax Extender'

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if you want a nice hd image, replace the camera with a cheap tvi 1080p camera, they are cheap. Then use a cheap hikvision like this 80 dollar unit (less via ali)
Hikvision Turbo Series 4-Channel 1080p HD-TVI DVR DS-7204HGHI-SH
you can then display the hd image locally and stream from the DVR to the NVR.
A
I bought my father a generic hybrid DVR/NVR that is set for(4) 4mp ip and (4) 4mp analog (TVI/AHD/CVI). he has to AHD camera, one is a newer IMX291 AHD camera, that seems to be working great with the system, the other an older analog. He has two IP camera, one being a 2mp Dahua PTZ the other a IMX322 wifi camera.

FYI only,
Chris