Intel 9th gen GPU driver and Quick Sync...

Tokens

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I run BI on Intel i5 9600k and tried some old/new drivers but no success if I enable Intel hardware support ghosting appears on my videos.

Is the anybody with an Intel 9 gen that uses Intel Quick sync and without ghosting effect ? if so what driver version you use ?

It is pissng me off as I bought the Intel especially to utilize Quick Sync otherwise AMD Ryzen would be my choice!

My cam is Hikvision darkfighter 4K 1/2 '- FPS 15 - iframe 15 - 8192 bitrate I think all camera setting are OK and my network as well. 23 AWG full copper cable - Cisco PoE switch etc...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still using 8th gen. But that should be nearly identical in terms of compatibility. I'd simply try the latest driver. (I'm currently using 7323: Download Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Drivers)

What is your total megapixels per second as reported in Blue Iris Status > Cameras tab?

There are several things I can think of to check.

1) Your hardware acceleration option should be Intel (NOT VideoPostProc).
2) The camera should be configured to encode H.264 (DISABLE "Smart Codec" or "H.264+").
3) Find the "Max rate" box in Blue Iris camera properties > Video tab. This value should be equal to or slightly higher than the frame rate your camera was configured to encode, so in your case 15 or 16 FPS. If you need to change the value in this box, you can delete everything in the box and type 16 and it will interpret that as 16 FPS.

Tokens

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm still using 8th gen. But that should be nearly identical in terms of compatibility. I'd simply try the latest driver. (I'm currently using 7323: Download Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Drivers)

What is your total megapixels per second as reported in Blue Iris Status > Cameras tab?

There are several things I can think of to check.

1) Your hardware acceleration option should be Intel (NOT VideoPostProc).
2) The camera should be configured to encode H.264 (DISABLE "Smart Codec" or "H.264+").
3) Find the "Max rate" box in Blue Iris camera properties > Video tab. This value should be equal to or slightly higher than the frame rate your camera was configured to encode, so in your case 15 or 16 FPS. If you need to change the value in this box, you can delete everything in the box and type 16 and it will interpret that as 16 FPS.
1. I didn't use VPP just intel.
2. Running just H264
3. I had 15 fps set on the camera and in BI 20 fps selected from pre sets. I have changed it to 16 as you suggested.

I'm now running 197 MP/s - 2x 2MP and 1x 8MP.
My PC is headless, accesing it using remote desktop or team viewer and I thought it could be a delay etc and exported some vids and no difference.

I have also installed the same driver version you have and checked some recorded street traffic on one cam and it seems promising. I'll see tomorrow when something happening on the streen as it is 1 am in my location now.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I read on the forum, but can not find the post, That when running headless, to get quicksync to work well on h.264 that the windows power options for the display need to be set to never power off.

Also never run your camera traffic through the router.
Make sure the virus scanner is turned off for all BI folders.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, that is very light usage so it should not be a problem.

If the PC is headless, it is possible that the Intel GPU isn't properly active. Check Task Manager > Performance tab and make sure the GPU is showing some usage on the Video Decode graph.

If problems persist, I suggest you run some pings from your Blue Iris server to each of the cameras to measure latency and packet loss. I wrote a program that can make this very easy: bp2008/pingtracer Just run that, enter each of your camera IPs, comma separated, and crank it up to 10 pings per second. You will quickly get a lot of data. Ideal response times will be 1ms or less with 0% packet loss. Any packet loss or elevated ping times may be a sign of network congestion or an overloaded camera (although some cameras are kind of bad at responding to pings, so this isn't foolproof).

Tokens

n3wb
Reaction score
I've just checked my recordings and ghosting is still there not that bad how it used to be.

Ping tracer shows no packet loss and ~1000 successful Failed 0 so I assume there is no packet loss and ping is 1ms. My cisco managed switch shows 0 transmit errors.
All my videos are very smooth when Intel Quick sync is disabled. Task manager-> GPU shows Video Decode 14% so it's working
Power options for the display is now set to never power off (was 10 minutes) so I'll give it a go to see if it helps.
All my Network infrastructure is brand new (Cat6 23 awg full copper).
I have made one change which is Power options for the display.

Ghosting is on all cameras - 2x are Hikvision 2MP and 8MP and one (temporary) is YI 1080p outdoor (hacked) so I have a very limited video settings and can't really change anything.

Off topic. I've installed a new 2MP Hik camera yesterday and noticed a bit of condensation and the image is a little bit foggy. It was cold yesterday (5*C) and 20*C difference indoor-outdoor so I hope it disappear soon!

Any other suggestions much appreciated.

Tokens

n3wb
Reaction score
I read on the forum, but can not find the post, That when running headless, to get quicksync to work well on h.264 that the windows power options for the display need to be set to never power off.

Also never run your camera traffic through the router.
Make sure the virus scanner is turned off for all BI folders.
As you suggested I have changed in Power plan to never power of the display and just checked some recording and street traffic and see no ghosting so far!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you find the Also BVR checkbox in Blue Iris camera properties > Video tab, you can turn that off to disable hardware accelerated clip playback on a per-camera basis while retaining the benefits of hardware acceleration for the live video processing.

Hardware accelerated clip playback has a few other issues like being slow to seek and showing black frames, so I disable it normally on all my cams.

Tokens

n3wb
Reaction score
If you find the Also BVR checkbox in Blue Iris camera properties > Video tab, you can turn that off to disable hardware accelerated clip playback on a per-camera basis while retaining the benefits of hardware acceleration for the live video processing.

Hardware accelerated clip playback has a few other issues like being slow to seek and showing black frames, so I disable it normally on all my cams.
I haven't touched the "Also BRV" it seems that it's off by default in BI on my all cameras.

So far so good no ghosting. I think the "windows power options for the display need to be set to never power off" did the job.

GPU Driver - 26.20.100.7323