intel i5 nuc ... mini nvr

dr.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
From the 35% to 7-12% now, that's dropping power usage and temps drastically I'm guessing.

This may not have been obvious but there are two ivms4200 apps:
iVMS-4200
iVMS-4200 PCNVR

The only difference is PCNVR is for one machine and the other is to break up the client and server. This may be causing confusion of why certain features in playback may be missing/not enabled. There's also a brand new version of iVMS-4200 that came out the end of July. I'm not really familar with the latest version or if it has bugs. I run the PCNVR since I have only one machine.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Temp on the cpu remains near 60c, which I think is hot, but the unit is silent, or I should say at least inaudible next to some other stuff with a fan and it doesn't kick into overdrive constantly.

Funny thing with ivms 4200. I. had actually wondered how when and if there are updates, as there's no built-in mechanism. On the main site v 2.02 is actually not linked properly. Just tried to fetch it today, the page lists 2.02 but the linked download was 2.00. But then I saw In my downloads folder I downloaded 2.02 last week - forget where and when. Must have been in my sleep ;)

During the upgrade all hikv stuff had to be shut down. Restart was required. First thing I see is that it scrambled the mosaic positioning, 5 cams moved around and forgot one. Sorted that. Looking for changes I went to search for recordings and could not find any? Turns out it unlinked every camera from the storage server. fixing those per camera, recorded motion video could be found.

So, a bit of a sloppy upgrade process for a software with worldwide use in all kind of markets.

Not sure what changes there are really. Did not see a change report. First look no changes, other then different colors in the review timeline, and I now have playback buttons per feed.

On thing I still need to dig into is that recording replay can be like 1fps, despite being recorded at 20 or so. Same thing with prior version on different camera. I just don't know why it does that. Guess I'll put VLC on and give that a whirl.

dr.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Vast majority of installs are set-it-and-forget types. Unless something is broken, why update. Most updates are just camera compatibility, slight tweaks, and more for large operations vs home/SMB setups.

Yes, hikvision download site is shit. PCNVR has 2 versions and the latest is really only accesible if you know the version number.

dr.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I see they put iVMS5200 on the Hikvision website, but no program download, but shows the different versions, my guess is the "basic" one will be free - http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_show.asp?id=9850&showid=2
No way in hell will they let ONVIF support be free--ever. Buying camera licenses will be like buying hikvision in USA--expensive or non-existent.

20148110546137.png

4200 looks to be supported for a while. 5200 is likely just 4200 with backend work, mostly for ONVIF support/licensing.

"The software does not support 64 - bit operating system" + windows only

Initial excitement is quickly dashed.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
( Cross posting these findings from another thread where the question was raised about nuc and blueiris )

Just downloaded whatever the latest version of blueiris 3 is from the website. Simply clicked + to add cameras. Gave it IP user pw and a click on the detect onvif button (since hikvision preselect gave me nothing), set video to 704x480. Set some option there to do camera triggering for whatever that does. Did it for 6 cameras. Only 3 video feeds show up. Three do not, saying to check port, user, pw. Not sure what that's about. Anyhow.

The cpu - at night time pitch black out - cameras on with IR, is running avg of 28% showing the three outdoor feeds.

20 minutes earlier the cpu was running single digits, even going down to 1 & 3% with iVMS 4200 2.02 with all 6 feeds up in 9-up configuration.

I readily admit I don't know the ins and outs of BlueIris and have to poke around a little to get my other three feeds in, I guess, and maybe figure out some settings; but with the above as described, the live view is kind of already up there in cpu cycles.

I may poke around some more tomorrow.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue iris will never be as low as ivms as BI does its own motion detection... (in camera triggering does not work yet see this post, the post refers to the 2432 with pir, but the same should apply to video based motion http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?734-PIR-event-in-Blue-Iris&highlight=blue+iris) Though you can minimize cpu use by selecting Direct to disk recording option (note this option is not available in the Demo version). BI also lets you lower cpu usage my lowering the live view frame rate while keeping the record frame rate higher. Options > cameras > limit live view...

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you, fenderman.

I know it can't be as low until it includes in camera detection. I was just copying that blurb here, since somebody asked about it another thread and I figured it might as well be saved in this longer nuc topic as well.

I may dig around some more and try your preferences tomorrow or over the weekend. Just out of curiosity and for reference purposes.

For tonight I'm already back on iVMS. 3% CPU with live view on and motion recording triggered on two channels. I think that's super sweet. Even if in the daytime the cpu rises to 20% or so, I'm assuming dealing with the increased visual data of full color times x feeds vs IR partially lit screens in greyscale.

dr.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you, fenderman.

I know it can't be as low until it includes in camera detection. I was just copying that blurb here, since somebody asked about it another thread and I figured it might as well be saved in this longer nuc topic as well.

I may dig around some more and try your preferences tomorrow or over the weekend. Just out of curiosity and for reference purposes.

For tonight I'm already back on iVMS. 3% CPU with live view on and motion recording triggered on two channels. I think that's super sweet. Even if in the daytime the cpu rises to 20% or so, I'm assuming dealing with the increased visual data of full color times x feeds vs IR partially lit screens in greyscale.
Any update on the VLC tests? You may not need them if you are hitting 3%, but it would still help you know if 20% can be lowered more.

kbarb

n3wb
Reaction score
cpu use in an nvr

@DR

Back in post #22 you wrote :

If you have no client/liveview open, there should be next to zero CPU usage for background recording. The CPU is doing nothing. . .
I'm just curious . . . you seem like you have some understanding of what's going on under the hood here.
I was wondering if you could say more about when the CPU would be involved as far as I/O, viewing live or stored files, etc.

I know about the cpu being involved in decoding compressed video files and so on, but less clear about what's involved for I/O and so on.
You want to chime in here ?

If I had a better handle on it I think I could better choose the cpu power needed for any given NVR setup.
For example, I was looking at the Intel DN2820FYKH0 Forest Canyon NUC Barebone w/ a dual core Celeron at 2.16-2.58 GHz, and wondering what its capabilities might be.

Thanks !