Intel NUC or BRIX owners with Blue Iris - Please help me with some questions

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any update to the Blue Iris trial?
From what you are saying, I may go with IVMS instead of Blue Iris.
Sorry for the delay. Just downloaded whatever the latest version of blueiris 3 is from the website. Simply clicked + to add cameras. Gave it IP user pw and click on the detect button, set video to 704x480. Set some option there to do camera triggering for whatever that does. Did it for 6 cameras. Only 3 video feeds show up. Three do not, saying to check port, user, pw. Not sure what that's about. Anyhow.

The cpu - at night time pitch black out - is running avg of 28% showing the three outdoor feeds.

20 minutes earlier the cpu was running single digits, even going down to 1 & 3% with iVMS 4200 2.02 with all 6 feeds up in 9-up configuration.

I readily admit I don't know the ins and outs of BlueIris and have to poke around a little to get my other three feeds in, I guess, and maybe figure out some settings; but with the above as described, the live view is kind of already up there in cpu cycles.

I may poke around BI some more tomorrow.

vsync

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. Just downloaded whatever the latest version of blueiris 3 is from the website. Simply clicked + to add cameras. Gave it IP user pw and click on the detect button, set video to 704x480. Set some option there to do camera triggering for whatever that does. Did it for 6 cameras. Only 3 video feeds show up. Three do not, saying to check port, user, pw. Not sure what that's about. Anyhow.

The cpu - at night time pitch black out - is running avg of 28% showing the three outdoor feeds.

20 minutes earlier the cpu was running single digits, even going down to 1 & 3% with iVMS 4200 2.02 with all 6 feeds up in 9-up configuration.

I readily admit I don't know the ins and outs of BlueIris and have to poke around a little to get my other three feeds in, I guess, and maybe figure out some settings; but with the above as described, the live view is kind of already up there in cpu cycles.

I may poke around BI some more tomorrow.
Thanks a lot of updating.
If you can check for me the following on Blue Iris and IVMS (doing everything below AT THE SAME TIME)
- Direct to disk recording (2 cameras)
- Motion detection recording (2 cameras)
- Live view (4 cameras)

Can you check to see how much CPU Blue Iris / IVMS use doing those at the same time?
I'm what others are saying, I suspect IVMS will have lower CPU usage.
Any other mix setup info would be great.

Thank you.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So if I understand you correctly:

You'd like me to use them with 4 cameras in live view, with two in manual recording and two in motion recording.

I think I can manage that. Deactivate two. 4-up. Record two. Run out and trigger two. Guess I'll put a camera on a tripod on one of the screens as to not have a screen cast recording pump up the cpu cycles ;)

I have an inkling what the numbers will range in, but I'm not going to wager on that right now.

With some luck I get BI figured out during morning coffee.

FYI: It is using 3% right now in the dark of night with IR x6, 6 on in 9-up with sub-stream, and two feeds triggered by bugs flying by.

vsync

n3wb
Reaction score

You'd like me to use them with 4 cameras in live view, with two in manual recording and two in motion recording.

I think I can manage that. Deactivate two. 4-up. Record two. Run out and trigger two. Guess I'll put a camera on a tripod on one of the screens as to not have a screen cast recording pump up the cpu cycles ;)

I have an inkling what the numbers will range in, but I'm not going to wager on that right now.

FYI: It is using 3% right now in the dark of night with IR x6, 6 on in 9-up with sub-stream, and two feeds triggered by bugs flying by.
Yep. That's exactly it. My house is tiny so that's all what I will have.
I think Blue Iris will use more CPU than IVMS but let's see shall we :)
Thank you so much for doing this!

Also, if you don't mind, can you clarify a bit more about the setup you have?
So you have:
- 9 cams? 6 on at the moment with IR (not recording)
- 9 on live view using sub-stream
- And 2 doing motion detection recording
Am I right about your setup?
Does it use more CPU at day time?

dr.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Intel NUC D54250WYK1 Intel 4th Gen Core i5-4250U Processor with Power Cord
Crucial 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 MT/s PC3-12800 CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Notebook Memory Modules CT2CP25664BF160B
Premier Pro SP310 SATA 6Gb/s mSATA Solid State Drive ASP310S3-64GM-C
WD My Passport Slim 2TB Portable Metal External Hard Drive USB 3.0 with Auto Backup

3 x Hikvision DS-2CD3332-I

Windows 8.1

Hikvision IVMS 4200-PCNVR
All of that is 12W (recording) at the wall?

vsync

n3wb
Reaction score

Any update? :)

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I appreciate your patience.

Unfortunately I don't have an update. I know I'm not keeping my promise and not helping.

Last week, I did not resolve the 3 cam yes, 3 cam no video issue in BI and then when I wanted to review something on iVMS that should have been recorded on all 6 cams; I found out my system had not recorded a single thing in a whole week. As part of the hours spent troubleshooting, verifying settings, triggering motion but not seeing any recordings; I uninstalled BI. Only to then later conclude that it must have had something to be the 2.02 update I did. I think I did 4200 2.02 and BI three less than 10h apart. One shouldn't affect the other, but you never know what settings might change, as I know that the mobile app and syno tap into the camera settings and will change them how they see fit.

Right now I'm still holding for Hikv to get back to me. Got a kind quick response at first to just verify a few settings. Said I'd tried that for several hours. Then the following message was to please wait while they investigate.

So right now, all I can indicate off the top of my head, is that iVMS has been 3-5% and staying under 10 regardless of however may recordings it had, when it worked fine. Then if BI is similar to Axxon, it'll take 10-15% cpu for the analysis of an hd feed per camera.

vsync

n3wb
Reaction score
I appreciate your patience.

Unfortunately I don't have an update. I know I'm not keeping my promise and not helping.

Last week, I did not resolve the 3 cam yes, 3 cam no video issue in BI and then when I wanted to review something on iVMS that should have been recorded on all 6 cams; I found out my system had not recorded a single thing in a whole week. As part of the hours spent troubleshooting, verifying settings, triggering motion but not seeing any recordings; I uninstalled BI. Only to then later conclude that it must have had something to be the 2.02 update I did. I think I did 4200 2.02 and BI three less than 10h apart. One shouldn't affect the other, but you never know what settings might change, as I know that the mobile app and syno tap into the camera settings and will change them how they see fit.

Right now I'm still holding for Hikv to get back to me. Got a kind quick response at first to just verify a few settings. Said I'd tried that for several hours. Then the following message was to please wait while they investigate.

So right now, all I can indicate off the top of my head, is that iVMS has been 3-5% and staying under 10 regardless of however may recordings it had, when it worked fine. Then if BI is similar to Axxon, it'll take 10-15% cpu for the analysis of an hd feed per camera.
Thank you for your update. It's all good. I think I will go ahead and use BI. I only have 4 cams. It wouldn't be an issue for me :)