intermittent connection - failed firmware update

Reaction score
was having connection problems with one of my IPC-4K-T cameras today where it was dropping connection and reconnecting every minute. i have multiple cameras on my system and this was the only one doing it..

after unplugging and replugging, it didnt change anything so i tried to update the firmware to the latest one.

well, it failed getting stuck at 76% before stopping and now i cant access the camera at all. i tried powering off for 20 seconds and plugging back in,

is there another way to reset the camera? its not in an easy to access location.

also, is the dropping connection likely a hardware issue / not firmware? will update once i get around to resetting the actual device..

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There's a physical reset button where the Micro Sd card is located.

was having connection problems with one of my IPC-4K-T cameras today where it was dropping connection and reconnecting every minute. i have multiple cameras on my system and this was the only one doing it..

after unplugging and replugging, it didnt change anything so i tried to update the firmware to the latest one.

well, it failed getting stuck at 76% before stopping and now i cant access the camera at all. i tried powering off for 20 seconds and plugging back in,

is there another way to reset the camera? its not in an easy to access location.

also, is the dropping connection likely a hardware issue / not firmware? will update once i get around to resetting the actual device..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There would be an API, but since it is essentially "bricked" right now, an API command won't work.

Unfortunately you will have to access the camera and physically push the reset.

And a note for others - if the camera is loosing signal with intermittent connection, it means it will also do so in the middle of the firmware update as it needs uninterrupted connection during that process...

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score

And a note for others - if the camera is loosing signal with intermittent connection, it means it will also do so in the middle of the firmware update as it needs uninterrupted connection during that process...
I was going to post the exact same thing.

Hindsight and all that but if you have connectivity issues then it’s best to take it down, bring the cam in and try it with a known good Ethernet cable in the first instance.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Hindsight and all that but if you have connectivity issues then it’s best to take it down, bring the cam in and try it with a known good Ethernet cable in the first instance.
I wonder... can the firmware be copied to an empty SD card, inserted into the cam and the update process accesses the file locally (from the SD card)?

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
no on the SD card. Did you check the network cable? Also, did you water proof the connection?

Reaction score
i tried resetting the camera multiple times and it doesnt show on my network, i can see the POE and DATA lights blinking on my switch so i know its getting power and trying to communicate. any ideas ? @EMPIRETECANDY

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A reset puts it back to the default IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.108, which may or may not be the IP address range of your system.

Unhook a computer or laptop from the internet and go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

1693519003560.png

Then power up your camera and wait a few minutes.

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER (needs to be Explorer and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab) and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it your country and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Then reverse the process to put your computer back on your network IP address range.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.

OR use the IPconfig Tool, but most of us prefer the above as it is one less program needed and one less chance for the cameras to phone home or for something to get screwed up.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
i can see the POE and DATA lights blinking on my switch so i know its getting power and trying to communicate
FYI - The data LED blinking may just be the switch port sending data, not the camera sending, eg a broadcast packet, which goes to all clients on the LAN.
If you've not tried already, set the PC IP address as suggested by @wittaj and use
ping 192.168.1.108
at a command prompt.

kobebeef

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your problem is like IP conflict with other devices
As a result, it is often impossible to connect
For example, if they overlap with the TV IP, they will seize IP from each other.
Updating the firmware will cause the camera head to become bricked if there is a power outage.

Reaction score
PING 192.168.1.108 (192.168.1.108): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

Request timeout for icmp_seq 2

Request timeout for icmp_seq 3

Request timeout for icmp_seq 4

Request timeout for icmp_seq 5

Request timeout for icmp_seq 6

Request timeout for icmp_seq 7

Request timeout for icmp_seq 8

Request timeout for icmp_seq 9

Request timeout for icmp_seq 10

Request timeout for icmp_seq 11

Request timeout for icmp_seq 12

Request timeout for icmp_seq 13

Request timeout for icmp_seq 14

Reaction score
appreciate the support here. ive followed all the suggestions and the device seems to be bricked. is there any way to recover it?