Internet Provider BELL warning vulnerabilty HIK Vision Camera

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Taking it offline and restoring the firmware to a known-good image is the only way to make sure it isn't still compromised.
Strictly speaking - as the firmware update is file-by-file on an r/w file system and not monolithic - it would be possible for malware to simply remain in place.
Not very likely - but certainly possible.

comsci

n3wb
Reaction score
If you still want to see your camera pictures remotely after having disabled UPNP you could use a remote storage and viewing solution like the one I'm currently developing...

In this scenario, your camera sends images (on a timer or trigger events) to a clould server. No external access into your private network is required.

You won't get live pictures but will get an easily accessible historic record of events and can could setup timed snapshots.

It's currently in beta testing and access is free. If it proves commercial, subscription costs will be comparable to the electricity cost of running a DVR 24x7

Feel free to create an account or try one of the demo accounts at

https://app.comsci.co.uk/camac

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you still want to see your camera pictures remotely after having disabled UPNP you could use a remote storage and viewing solution like the one I'm currently developing...

In this scenario, your camera sends images (on a timer or trigger events) to a clould server. No external access into your private network is required.

You won't get live pictures but will get an easily accessible historic record of events and can could setup timed snapshots.

It's currently in beta testing and access is free. If it proves commercial, subscription costs will be comparable to the electricity cost of running a DVR 24x7

Feel free to create an account or try one of the demo accounts at

https://app.comsci.co.uk/camac
the user would still need local storage...cloud storage is a gimmick and pretty much useless. Store locally and if paranoid make it redundant. If more paranoid images or video can be uploaded to a free image hosting service like google. Why anyone would trust or pay for this type of service is beyond me.

comsci

n3wb
Reaction score
I agree it's not for all but different users have different requirements. Not everyone needs redundant local storage or the maintenance and monitoring hassle to ensure it is kept running. Not everyone has the technical ability to setup a secure VPN circuit and maintain a server running all hours to allow remote access. I think it's perfectly acceptable to store a day or two worth of continuous real time video locally on an SD card in the camera and then upload any interesting events to a third party server. This gives the user the an easy remote access viewing experience without compromising their network security and provides a record should their equipment get damaged or stolen. All for less than the electricty cost of running a DVR. It works for me :)