Intrusion detection or motion detection?

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi I'm trying to experiment with the hikvision camera I'm stumbling which to choose motion detection or intrusion detection, currently I have both enabled, have done intrusion detection today will test it out, but both seem very similar.

Any people have any thoughts on this?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You can use any or all - at the expense of a high volume of real but unwanted triggers.
In my view, intrusion detection is more flexible to set up to avoid false triggers than simple motion detection.
The 'dwell time' for the object in the defined area, and the proportion of the area it must occupy, plus the sensitivity level, add a lot more than just the sensitivity level of simple motion detection.
And line crossing detection also has it's benefits.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd recommend leaving at least one camera on 24/7 so you don't miss anything that you really need.

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use both, motion detection for recording anything that moves, and intrusion/line crossing detection for notifications. If you're short on space you could have recording only on intrusion/line crossing, but I feel like you might miss some stuff that way.

A missed notification isn't so bad, but a missed recording is not acceptable IMO.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have enabled intrusion detection, I have set the area for detection. When i enter the area it did not detect a thing, only motion detection emails I received but nothing else. I have changed the sensitivity as well but increased it to 50 just to test and nothing, no emails for intrusion detection.

i guess it might be proportion of the area cannot remember what I set it to but was very less as its a large area it monitoring.

any ideas?

4xfire

n3wb
Reaction score
To use the Intrusion Detection you have to test it a lot in a given environment. If you are drawing small boxes the 0/50/1 settings (Default) should be VERY sensitive to the point of triggering on almost anything.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use both, motion detection for recording anything that moves, and intrusion/line crossing detection for notifications. If you're short on space you could have recording only on intrusion/line crossing, but I feel like you might miss some stuff that way.

A missed notification isn't so bad, but a missed recording is not acceptable IMO.
+1 motion detection which isn't tooooooo bad but line crossing for email notifications and never almost false alarms.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't know what was wrong but it seems to work now. Much better than motion detection.

thanks

ardsar

n3wb
Reaction score
I've just purchased 3 DS-2CD2xx2 cams and have spent the last few days trying to set up detection.

I've followed the advice on how best to setup the advanced motion detection. I've had some success with this however, the camera on the drive seems a little more problematic with getting the sensitivity right without getting false detections - especially at night. From experience is it best to set up several small areas or one larger one? Do you reduce the sensitivty at night?

Whilst playing with the intrusion detection i have noticed that in order to test it, you must be outside the detection area for a short period of time and then walk into the detection area. This will create a detection, however unless you leave the area, no further detections are made - is this correct? If this is the case, then intrusion detection alone is probably not a good idea unless you are constantly recording.

Line crossing seems to work quite well even at night...

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can't emphasise this enough - use intrusion detection and line crossing only to mark events (and send e-mails) on your 24/7 recording. You can get a 4TB HDD for the price of a retail camera nowadays.

If you have motion detection on too, then ok, because it will catch 99/100 things but will have a lot of false positives.

renaud

n3wb
Reaction score
I am using intrusion detection only (very sensitive), and I have yet to miss a thing. Motion detection gives way too much false positives so you can't find something you search for.

4xfire

n3wb
Reaction score
HDD Space is much cheaper than finding a new customer because the Intrusion Detection failed to trigger/record IMO, but to each their own.

ardsar

n3wb
Reaction score
I've now set up motion (following a guide someone wrote on this forum), line and intrusion detection. Had a test today - window cleaner climbed the gate to get to back windows whilst at work. I left email notifications on so that I could judge the level of false alerts. My phone went mad with constant notifications so guess I'm close. Appreciate the comment about constant recording.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk