iOS Hik-Connect app keeps asking for my credentials

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@sfnetwork I feel the same way! :) I’ve also submitted plenty of feedback in the app but have never seen any of it implemented. Maybe we’ll see some improvements someday!

Reaction score
Not sure if this is still an issue for you guys, but have you guys done the port forwarding required in your router? Hikvision actually uses amazon servers to allow traffic to connect to their remote servers if the ports are not opened on the router. Hikvision pays for each bit of data that passes through these servers so they log you out after 5 min in order to make sure you didnt just leave your phone on and are not paying attention and charging them money. If the ports are correctly forwarded in your router, you should not be getting logged off.

sfnetwork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
interesting but my ports are forwarded.
Are you saying you don't have this issue at all from the Hik Connect app?

Reaction score
interesting but my ports are forwarded.
Are you saying you don't have this issue at all from the Hik Connect app?
No I don't. I've set up many clients as well using this method. Only when the ports aren't open have we had this issue. Went to a hikvision seminar where they informed us of the reasoning behind the auto log out. Are you sure the ports 80, 8000 and 10554 (unless you have changed them from default) are all forwarded? If you go to www.canyouseeme.org and try those ports it shows as open?

sfnetwork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so I really need to figure this out in this case.
The upnp in set to manual on Hik-Connect and in the NVR. Web and server ports are forwarded and correctly set in Hik-Connect.
No idea what else to try. Should I switch to upnp?

I confirmed using the site both ports are accessible.

sfnetwork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No I don't. I've set up many clients as well using this method. Only when the ports aren't open have we had this issue. Went to a hikvision seminar where they informed us of the reasoning behind the auto log out. Are you sure the ports 80, 8000 and 10554 (unless you have changed them from default) are all forwarded? If you go to www.canyouseeme.org and try those ports it shows as open?
What's 10554? you mean the RTSP 554? If so, yes all three (RTSP, Server and web) are forwarded and accessible

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, thanks didn't know that, I'll just forward web and server in this case, for some reason, I thought it was needed...
No Port forward is safe...see the vpn primer for noobies thread.

sfnetwork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No Port forward is safe...see the vpn primer for noobies thread.
Yeah, I get that but you made me realize I don't use RTSP from WAN so it was just another door opened for nothing (that is if it not related to the main issue with the credential prompts from the app)

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not sure if this is still an issue for you guys, but have you guys done the port forwarding required in your router? Hikvision actually uses amazon servers to allow traffic to connect to their remote servers if the ports are not opened on the router. Hikvision pays for each bit of data that passes through these servers so they log you out after 5 min in order to make sure you didnt just leave your phone on and are not paying attention and charging them money. If the ports are correctly forwarded in your router, you should not be getting logged off.
Chris, this is super helpful information! I knew about the difference between the two Hik-Connect services (P2P vs DDNS) but wasn't aware of the "auto-logout" and "5-minute viewing limitations" due to AWS costs. The chart and diagram in this Hikvision PDF helped with the service comparison. I'll do some more testing now. Thanks!

sfnetwork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok I'm confused, what's the diff between p2p ddns? All I know is HikConnect domain and direct IP... In this chart, it says P2P doesn't require forwarding... Am I missing something obvious?
Only reason I use hik-connect domain way is for notification on iOS, IP way doesn't notify when app is closed...

Reaction score
ok I'm confused, what's the diff between p2p ddns? All I know is HikConnect domain and direct IP... In this chart, it says P2P doesn't require forwarding... Am I missing something obvious?
Only reason I use hik-connect domain way is for notification on iOS, IP way doesn't notify when app is closed...
It is stating that HikConnect will work instantly once configured and on the internet via P2P ports that are typically open on all routers. Remote live view and playback will work using p2p. But only once the ports are forwarded does it come off of P2P and uses the HikConnect DDNS which allows for unlimited viewing time, remote configuration of nvr etc. This is the proper way to configure it.

Hikvision changed RTSP to 10554 a few years ago. All the new stuff uses that as the default port but may not be required in your case.

In regards to the port forwarding making your system vulnerable, yes that is true. I always change the ports to ones that are not the default to try and cut down on hacking. Also having a secure password (which is now a requirement for all hikvision devices, capital letter, symbols, and 8 characters long are now requirements within a password) makes a big difference. Ultimately anything plugged into the internet is vulnerable to attacks, just a fact of life. Honestly your router is probably more likely to be hacked than your NVR.

Sorry i cant be of more help to troubleshoot the problem! Not sure what else to try!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It is stating that HikConnect will work instantly once configured and on the internet via P2P ports that are typically open on all routers. Remote live view and playback will work using p2p. But only once the ports are forwarded does it come off of P2P and uses the HikConnect DDNS which allows for unlimited viewing time, remote configuration of nvr etc. This is the proper way to configure it.

Hikvision changed RTSP to 10554 a few years ago. All the new stuff uses that as the default port but may not be required in your case.

In regards to the port forwarding making your system vulnerable, yes that is true. I always change the ports to ones that are not the default to try and cut down on hacking. Also having a secure password (which is now a requirement for all hikvision devices, capital letter, symbols, and 8 characters long are now requirements within a password) makes a big difference. Ultimately anything plugged into the internet is vulnerable to attacks, just a fact of life. Honestly your router is probably more likely to be hacked than your NVR.

Sorry i cant be of more help to troubleshoot the problem! Not sure what else to try!
Port forwarding, is never safe and certainty NOT the correct way of doing it. Have you not read the posts and threads about the camera hacks including many hikvision vulnerabilities and/or back doors? Changing the ports is of little consequence. The strength of the password is IRRELEVANT. As many of the hacks allow the malicious user to circumvent the password completely. So not only does it note make a "big difference" it makes no difference. You foolishly claim the router is more likely to be hacked but that is incorrect. I suggest that you read the VPN primer for noobs thread and stop posting misinformation.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I port forwarded my nvr, I don't might people watching me...as long as my internet not slow down. I have a 1tb cap each month...after that 10$/G.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I port forwarded my nvr, I don't might people watching me...as long as my internet not slow down. I have a 1tb cap each month...after that 10$/G.
For the 100th time, its not simply about other people watching you. It provides an attack vector into your entire network, allows someone to disable your cameras (and im sure you are aware of murphys law), brick your cameras/nvr, and use your NVR as part of a botnet.

sfnetwork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well in my case, after trying everything I could, it still doesn’t work, still getting prompted multiple times per day.

Last edited:

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a change in the past few weeks? I'm running Hik-Connect V3.6.3 on iOS and haven't been prompted to login for at least a few days!