IP address vs Nic IP address in Hikvision NVR

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I guess I didn't get it resolved all the way.

This is what manual states, but I'd like this to be on the same subnet when connected via Lan interface, otherwise I will lose direct access to the cams. Is it possible?
Internal IPv4 Address: You need to configure the internal NIC address, so that IP addresses areassigned to the cameras connected to the PoE or built-in switch interfaces.

Last edited by a moderator:

dss

Banned
Reaction score
If you add the cameras manually you can stay on the same subnet. But still might have to plug your computer into one of the POE ports on the nvr to correct directly to the camera

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What I did was plug one network cable from router to poe ports on NVR, kept different subnets and when ever I wanted to go in to check one of the cameras, I'd set a static IP on the computer to the subnet of the poe NVR network, then type the IP address of the camera. Worked for me. You can use any computer on your routers lan to access the subnet as long as you set it static to that nvr subnet.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

dss

Banned
Reaction score
What I did was plug one network cable from router to poe ports on NVR, kept different subnets and when ever I wanted to go in to check one of the cameras, I'd set a static IP on the computer to the subnet of the poe NVR network, then type the IP address of the camera. Worked for me. You can use any computer on your routers lan to access the subnet as long as you set it static to that nvr subnet.

Ya I've done that too. I done just about every configuration possible in the last 200 installs.

dss

Banned
Reaction score
I use to install many cams with a 32 gig sd card and used 4200 or IE to connect. Still nice to easily log directly into the camera for any fine tuning. Have a good one.....:peaceful:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score

I guess this will do, disadvantage of this though I would be losing 1 poe port and I wouldn't be able to connect to NVR from IVMS-4200, I would have to individually connect to IP Cams. Is this the best option? My main thing is I'd like to use Tiny Cam Pro on Android to be able to view cams.

Edit: I tried that option, but camera is not working using this approach outside the network. I had camera'st IPv4 Default Gateway to the NVR IP.

dss

Banned
Reaction score
I guess this will do, disadvantage of this though I would be losing 1 poe port and I wouldn't be able to connect to NVR from IVMS-4200, I would have to individually connect to IP Cams. Is this the best option? My main thing is I'd like to use Tiny Cam Pro on Android to be able to view cams.

Edit: I tried that option, but camera is not working using this approach when connected directly to NVR, works only when connected via switch. I get 'network abnormal' error
I don't remember...I'm out installing many different ip devices everyday. Long range microwave links, telemetry, wisps any more. I'll be on a couple of different jobs over the next few days.. I'll see if I can get a work around for you.

I have never used tiny cam... Only Axis and Hikvision Cameras and NVR's and their client software. why not use hik 4500?

So you added the cameras manually set each one with a different static ip address and ports? And on the the same settings as your router? A lot of port forwarding.....

I usually set router dhcp on 100 and put all statics below that. Good Night.....:rugby:

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Edit: I tried that option, but camera is not working using this approach when connected directly to NVR, works only when connected via switch. I get 'network abnormal' error
Ivms 4200 should still work as the cable from the router is still going to the regular LAN port on NVR.

As for your issue, not sure.....my NVR internal subnet and cameras range is 192.168.254.2-9. So I'd set my pc to say 192.168.254.10, then type IP of which ever camera I'm going to.

dss

Banned
Reaction score
you don't have to use 192.168.254.10 when you add cams manually. You can disregard the nic.....bye

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for suggestions! I edited that partially got it to work. I set for my cameras gateway to the NVR nic and it does the trick, so now the only thing remaining to figure out how to access the camera from outside the network.

dss

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for suggestions! I edited that partially got it to work. I set for my cameras gateway to the NVR nic and it does the trick, so now the only thing remaining to figure out how to access the camera from outside the network.
You will need to set different ports on every camera and then match those settings in the router port forwarding. Out for sure........night.....gone.....

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Port forwarding is setup already and works if:
- Camera gateway set to router Ip 192.168.1.1, but then Nvr says network abnormal and doesn't connect the camera

Port forwarding doesn't work when:
- cameras gateway set to Nvr ip 192.168.254.1, but camera work as expected worth nvr

dss

Banned
Reaction score
Port forwarding is setup already and works if:
- Camera gateway set to router Ip 192.168.1.1, but then Nvr says network abnormal and doesn't connect the camera

- cameras gateway set to Nvr ip 192.168.254.1, but camera work as expected worth nvr
Cameras have to be on the same settings as the router. Disregard nic...it means nothing if you add cams manually..in bed...out...

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The reason you can't see the cameras which are on the inbuilt POE switch is because they are on their own subnet and they are controlled by the NVR. There is no routing afaik inside the NVR which will allow you to pass straight through the Gigabit ethernet port on the NVR to the POE ports (directly that is not virtual host).

When a device is looking for another device that it cannot find it will send it out the default gateway which is usually the router which will have a map of where every device is. This is why when you network two computers together over a crossover cable or through a switch you have to set the IP pairs with both the actual IP and the default gateway.

The other way which is the one I prefer is to have the cameras on a separate switch (can get a fanless one too) which is then connected to the network, you can have the NVR on this switch or straight to the main router. You can access every camera from anywhere on the network, and the cameras can get access to the internet if it needs to. I can log onto individual cameras themselves if I forward the correct ports. The part I like the most, you can hide the NVR wherever you like and don't need every camera going to it. This also makes the NVR quieter as the fans don't spin as fast when it doesn't have to cool down the PSU as much due to the cameras load.

I still bought the 7608NI-E2/8P with POE ports even though I didn't intend to use them. The Non-POE models are about AU$60 cheaper which you can use that money for the switch.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no routing afaik inside the NVR which will allow you to pass straight through the Gigabit ethernet port on the NVR to the POE ports (directly that is not virtual host).
No kernel routing by default (unless Virtual Host is active) but this can be done if you are feeling a bit adventurous:
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/1604-Hikvision-POE-LAN-segment-access-to-cameras-without-virtual-host-or-extra-wiring?highlight=extra+wiring
Mine has been running just fine like this since last November.
Another NVR and also QNAP Surveillance Station are also taking feeds from the PoE-connected cameras.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect that what's missing here is the extra local route you need to add to your router so it knows where to direct the WAN traffic to/from the PoE cameras. Otherwise the traffic will only flow on the LAN.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No kernel routing by default (unless Virtual Host is active) but this can be done if you are feeling a bit adventurous:
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/1604-Hikvision-POE-LAN-segment-access-to-cameras-without-virtual-host-or-extra-wiring?highlight=extra+wiring
Mine has been running just fine like this since last November.
Another NVR and also QNAP Surveillance Station are also taking feeds from the PoE-connected cameras.
Ahh yess, thought so. The wonders of linux.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Finally figured it out how to set this up. Now using NVR and cams on the same network, not having to deal with changing subnets. This should really be documented, unless it's not common.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Finally figured it out how to set this up
What did you actually set up? Accessing the cameras on the PoE ports from the LAN and the cameras accessing and being accessed from the internet?

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess you changed the internal NVR subnet to same as router?