ip camera behind window?

sabrin

n3wb
Reaction score
hi, I guess this is an old question but I couldn't find any similar posts when I search for it. I am wondering if I place a pan& tilt ip camera inside my house, right next to a glass window so I can sometimes check out the front of my house, would the heat or sunlight damage it after a while? I mean it is not extremely hot like the inside of a car but sunlight does get to it for several hours during the day. thank you for any explanation!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hi, I guess this is an old question but I couldn't find any similar posts when I search for it. I am wondering if I place a pan& tilt ip camera inside my house, right next to a glass window so I can sometimes check out the front of my house, would the heat or sunlight damage it after a while? I mean it is not extremely hot like the inside of a car but sunlight does get to it for several hours during the day. thank you for any explanation!
Hi Sabrin,

e007 covered the most critical issue.

Will heat or sunlight damage a IP camera - depends on the material it is made out of.
UV and heat do damage plastic - and this is one reason why dome cameras over a long period of time when exposed to direct UV will get "fuzzy", as well as having issues with the foam / rubber inside of the dome decaying.

Ideally you want an outdoor rated camera mounted outdoors.

If you can not do that - then I would certainly try something in the window ( example if you live in an apartment, and yes - there will be times it sucks due to the inside or outside light reflecting off the window.. )