IP Camera Power Problem

STEdgar

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been piece mealing my IP camera system together for several months. This is now turned out to be a hobby. Not that I really need one.

The longest run of Cat 6 cable from the network switch & passive POE power source in my garage to a camera is about 120'. All other cameras are tied into the same configuration and are within 30' to 50'. For the 120' run, i checked the connectors and all are working fine. However, when I power up the camera, nothing. I can see the LED lite on the connector (camera) end light up, but no video. Took the camera off and tested it with a shorter cable at a different locations and it powers up and video works fine. So, this tells me it is a power problem. All of the cameras are 12v.

At the switch (8 port Non-POE), I am using a 12v 5a power supply with a 8x splitter pigtail (of which 5 cameras are installed to it, including the problem camera), using a POE injector, the 120' Cat 6 cable run, a POE splitter and tied into the camera.

I have read that some installers up the power requirements to 18v to 24v to compensate for power loss.

My questions are:

(1) Is it really a power issue or have I installed too far of Cat 6 cable of an IP camera (only 120')?
(2) If I install a larger power supply (18v or 24v), will that work and not damage any of the cameras tied into the system?
(3) Or should I just install a wireless camera for the location and move on?

I have the last run to make and it will be about the same run for 120' to as much as 150'.

I appreciate what suggestions and assistance that all of you can offer.

Thank you.

Regards,

Steve

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That length is way to long for passive splitters... The easiest solution is to get a poe injector splitter kit from tp link.. Can go 328 feet..
Or use poe cameras and a 802.3af switch.

Sent via Taptalk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You MUST check your (unspecified) camera's specs to see if it's the PoE standard 802.3af that they support. If they do, the 48v will be exactly what the PoE power module in the camera needs.

There are some cameras, though, that operate in a similar way to a 'passive PoE injector' and require a specific, fixed-voltage power supply, where the LAN cable is just used as a simple power cable with the hope that there isn't too much of a voltage drop that the camera can still operate on the end of it. It's unlikely that an 802.3af PoE source would harm such an incompatible camera, as the power only comes on given the right type of handshake (a resistor of defined value applied between specific wires) but it would be best to carefully check your camera tech specs.

STEdgar

n3wb
Reaction score
UPDATE

Hello Everyone!

I purchased a POE Injector / Splitter, 4 Port, 48 volt, 65 watts. The "splitter" draws down the power at the camera end to 12 volts 1-2 amps. Which is in line of what the camera specs are.

I connected everything up and plugged into the camera with the 120' Cat 6 run. Nothing. Checked the Cat 6 connections again and all are working fine.

I removed the camera, used a 15' Cat 6 cable, same POE Injector and Splitter.....and all works fine.

So, I am somewhat perplexed as I cannot figure out why it is not working on the 120' run.

I did read somewhere that wiring the RJ45 plugs may have something to do with it. Something about the wire positions. Not sure. Is this possible?

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Steve

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
UPDATE

Hello Everyone!

I purchased a POE Injector / Splitter, 4 Port, 48 volt, 65 watts. The "splitter" draws down the power at the camera end to 12 volts 1-2 amps. Which is in line of what the camera specs are.

I connected everything up and plugged into the camera with the 120' Cat 6 run. Nothing. Checked the Cat 6 connections again and all are working fine.

I removed the camera, used a 15' Cat 6 cable, same POE Injector and Splitter.....and all works fine.

So, I am somewhat perplexed as I cannot figure out why it is not working on the 120' run.

I did read somewhere that wiring the RJ45 plugs may have something to do with it. Something about the wire positions. Not sure. Is this possible?

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Steve
First what injector did you buy? exact model...
Second, yes the wire position matters significantly.
Both ends should be wired like this https://goodwintek.com/support/knowledge-base/networking-problems-and-advice/ethernet-wiring-standards/

STEdgar

n3wb
Reaction score
My wiring is very similar to the chart link that you provided.

Pin 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

B Chart o O g B b G br BR
Mine o O g G br BR b B

I purchased a iSmart POE power kit. Model ISM-POE104F.

Function Description:
  • [FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]POE SWITCH[/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Support various IP cameras without POE on the mainstream market[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]5[FONT=&quot]x 10/100Mbps auto-sensing RJ45 ports[/FONT][FONT=&quot], 4x 10/100Mbps PoE ports, 1x uplink port[/FONT][/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][FONT=&quot]Supports port auto-flip (Auto MDI/ MDIX)[/FONT][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]External power supply[/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][FONT=&quot]Maximum PoE[/FONT][FONT=&quot] ports[/FONT][FONT=&quot] power: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]65[/FONT][FONT=&quot]W ([/FONT][FONT=&quot]Port [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1 to [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Port4[/FONT][FONT=&quot])[/FONT][/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][FONT=&quot]Maximum power[/FONT][FONT=&quot] of single PoE port[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: 15.4W[/FONT][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]IEEE 802.3af power on up to [FONT=&quot]4[/FONT][FONT=&quot] ports[/FONT][/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][FONT=&quot]Features with fanless, natural cooling, small, compact and quiet design, suitable for desktop or wall[/FONT][/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]The built-in two-way bridge rectifier, support endpoint and mid span mode[/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]POE SPLITTER[/FONT]
  • Support various IP cameras without POE on the mainstream market
  • Easy connection, plug and play
  • Complete 18KV surge voltage protection system
  • Wide input voltage design, support from DC38V to DC56V DC input
  • the built-in overheating protection, load short-circuit protection
  • The power conversion efficiency up to 95%
  • Support five types of current limit mode
  • Support both 1/2/3/6 and 4/5/7/8 mode power supply
  • The built-in two-way bridge rectifier, support endpoint and mid span mode

What is included:

• Model:ISM-POE104F
  • 1x iSmart 10/100Mbps 4 Port PoE Switch, 4 POE, IEEE 802.3af/at, 65W ISM-POE104F
  • 1x 48V1.25A Power Supply
  • 1x User Manual

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The first thing you must do is fix the wiring...then test after..

Reaction score
I will do that today and repost with results.

Thank you!
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but did you figure out what is going on?

I am having the same exact issue

Using POE injector splitters at both ends of the termination of the cat6 - one connected to the camera and one connected to the switch:

using the camera and setup on this website: http://www.videocamerasecurity.net/1-3mp-ir-white-vandal-dome-ip-camera-2-8mm-onvif-960p/

I've got a dedicated power supply as well. any help will help!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming the cable is fully and correctly wired, the type of cable (stranded, solid, gauge) and its length will determine the voltage drop along the cable from your 12v PSU, and whether it's still enough for the 12v camera at the other end.
What is the cable length and type?
And does the camera work OK on a short length?

STEdgar

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I did resolve the problem.

First, the Cat5/6 wiring must be a certain way. There is a specific wiring diagram to follow. The chart that Fenderman recommended previosly in this post was the trick: https://goodwintek.com/support/knowledge-base/networking-problems-and-advice/ethernet-wiring-standards/

Second, depending on how far away you are, passive injectors are only good up to about 20 +/- feet. You might get more than that but it's not worth the hassle. I decided to use a POE switch and that solved the problem.

I had 2 cameras that were a bit far away. Closer than 300-feet but could not get them to talk even with a main POE switch mounted in my garage. So, I ended up installing a POE switch near them, ran the Cat6 cable to my main switch and that solved the problem! So, from the POE switch to my main Non-POE switch, there was enough power to move the signals. Seems some cameras are just sensitive as far a cable runs are concerned, POE or not.

So, I would recommend you invest in a POE switch with the splitter adapters. I found one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Port-IEEE802-3af-PoE-Switch-Adapter-6PCS-POE-Splitter-Adapter-For-IP-CAM-NVR-/221960774270?hash=item33ade4a27e:g:4XQAAOSwTapV6~8y I'm not saying this is the one to use, but it is a combo unit with the POE switch and the proper Baluns. I would not recommend using a passive Balun with a POE power switch.

I hope this answers all of your questions. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Steve

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but did you figure out what is going on?

I am having the same exact issue

Using POE injector splitters at both ends of the termination of the cat6 - one connected to the camera and one connected to the switch:

using the camera and setup on this website: http://www.videocamerasecurity.net/1-3mp-ir-white-vandal-dome-ip-camera-2-8mm-onvif-960p/

I've got a dedicated power supply as well. any help will help!

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! It turns out that the wiring standard fixed the issue as well as a quality link tester! I was showing split-pairs with the new one where the old tester did not show any messages. Thanks once again!